1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new van owner with some questions

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by blackbelt, Feb 23, 2018.

1. blackbelt

blackbelt New Member

Hi, i just picked up a Sambar try RJ, 1990. Seems to be in decent shape with 96K Kilometers on it, 4WD. I am ordering parts now to do the timing belt, since i cannot see any evidens\ce that it was ever done and i dont want to run the risk. But there are a few things i have found as i am vetting this van.
    How do you adjust the clutch?
    Is the 4WD button in the shifter just a spring loaded electrical switch? Mine stuck in the down psotion, and i had to use a screwdriver to pry it back up. It's not vacuum operated, is it? (i did this when the truck was not running)
    Any parts sources to recommend? I know about amiyama, G&R, minitruck.ca, and yokohama. so far.
    Suggestions for inexpensive wheels and tires?
    Anywhere i can get a copy of an English owners manual?

2. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

I get all my parts like timing belt etc from RightDrive.ca, I also got the chassis and drivetrain owners manuals they have too. The 4wd system is vacuum but the switch I'm sure is spring operated.

The only thing is take what the orange drivetrain manual says with a grain of salt. It says you have to remove the entire engine to do the timing belt, didnt think that was right. once I removed the right rear wheel and swung the shock out of the way the timing belt and water pump were a 1.5 hour job if that

3. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Here's a link to my timing belt replacement procedure:
    https://minitrucktalk.com/threads/how-to-timing-belt-replacement.15459/#post-101710

There is a clutch adjustment at the back where there control cable meets the transmission. You should be able to see the arm under the transmission by just looking under the rear of the truck. It's a bent sheet metal looking piece. The cable attaches with a spring and a wing nut.

The 4WD button plastic has swollen because it's so old that it's physically rubbing/jammed in the shift knob. Mine does the same. I seem to remember someone talking about removing the red button piece and trimming a bit off the sides to get it to work properly.