1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New tunes for the Hijet

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by AaronRS4, Dec 7, 2013.

1. AaronRS4

AaronRS4 Member

I finally got around to installing the new radio/speakers in my Hijet today. I ended up making new doorpanels since the originals were in pretty rough shape. The speakers are 6.5in. Kicker CS series coaxials, and the deck is a Clarion FZ150. I also have a set of Kenwood 5.25 components that I plan on putting in the lower part of the door, but I didn't have the time to build the pods that they will have to mount in. I was going to just put the Kenwoods in where the Kickers are, but the depth was an issue, and the Kickers fit right in with no spacers. I plan on adding a 5ch amp in the future and putting my 10in. Rockford Fosgate sub in a custom built box/ counsel/ cupholder. Before I do that though, I need to get my alternator rebuilt since it seems to be getting weak. All of my grounds have been replaced with 4AWG wire, and the battery tests good, but I still have issues with voltage when accessories are turned on. (Headlights+ fan+ blower...)

Attached Files:

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

What make and model of radio?

3. AaronRS4

AaronRS4 Member

4. TRAX and HORNS

Was it a perfect fit or did you have to trim?

5. AaronRS4

AaronRS4 Member

The only trimming required was to cut out the opening in the radio bezel (black plastic piece with the center vents) so that it would accept a DIN sized radio chassis as opposed to the shaft style radio it originally came with. This is a shallow mount radio with only 3 1/4" depth. That was the only reason I went with this radio, so I wouldn't run into any issues with the depth. Others on the forum have used another radio made by Dual, but I have not been impressed with the quality of the Dual brand in my 15 years of professional car audio installing. The Clarion is available @ BestBuy.com for around $70. I doubt it will be on the shelf in the store since most BestBuys don't stock Clarion, and it is kind of an oddball model. It is a tight squeeze to fit the DIN sized mounting sleeve in that bezel, but not too bad. I used a Dremel cut off wheel and a file to make it fit. If you aren't comfortable cutting it, any car stereo shop should be able to do it for you if you bring them the bezel. The speakers I used required no modifications of the actual door itself, only the wood door panels.

6. TRAX and HORNS

Good info. Thank you.
    Terry

7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice! I really need to put a new radio in my truck. Now that it's snow plowing season, I could really use it!

8. Brookville

Brookville New Member

Anyone know what other stereo's will fit in a 96 HiJet mini truck? I am new to the group. I searched for the Clarion stereo in this thread its no long available. Thanks

9. ttc

ttc Active Member

I am running a Chinese din unit. Works fine.

10. ttc

ttc Active Member

Mechless deck