1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to you Carry maintenance

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by BCMac, Jun 1, 2016.

1. BCMac

BCMac New Member

Hey folks - I have just picked up my first mini-truck. Its a 1991 Suzuki Carry 4x4, 660. It has been in Canada for some time now and off the road for about a year.

So far I have changed the oil but what other maintenance type work would you recommend doing? I don't know what fluids have been changed when or any other wear parts.

Thoughts?

2. Daner

Daner Member

Welcome to the forum!

How off road? If it has been in water you could check the rear end lube for evidence. I think you are probably safe running it as is assuming you don't have any overheating problems or noises.

3. Anne Sweeney

Anne Sweeney Member

Same as with any car, i would suggest replacing the timing belt unless you know the last time it was changed. Diff and tranny fluid (suzuki manual says GL-4) with #90 viscousity. And oh, this small trucks have issue trapping air in its thermostat housing so you will need to raise the front enough to make the thermostst housing slightly above the engine, bleed and put in some fresh coolant.

Mossman likes this.
  4. swat1018

swat1018 Member

One of the biggest things with off-road Carry's is getting the motor "dusted." The cold air intake is from behing the cab in the frame. If you are in a lot of dusty conditions, the motor is constantly feeding the motor dirty air. Make sure you have the right filter, and consider re routing the air intake from the frame to a better place.

5. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

Don't forget new plugs maybe a couple vbelts. I also replaced all my diff and trans fluids. Check CV joint rubbers. inspect rotor and cap. How many KM does your odometer read? Have fun !!!

6. BCMac

BCMac New Member

That's a valid point. Looks like the cold air intake hoses are half ripped apart anyhow. Being as I am routinely driving through wet grass as high as that intake, mud and dusty gravel roads, I am looking to put a snorkel so the intake is from above the cab.

7. BCMac

BCMac New Member

Thank you much. I will be swapping out the diff & trans fluids just because I don't know when it was done. I will check the CV joints and rotors as well.

Odometer reads just under 82,000kms. But has had larger tires on it since about 70,000km so that number may be skewed. I know my spedo is off but as it sees little time on the road and all of it in a very small town, I am not too concerned.

8. swat1018

swat1018 Member

I'm running a PVC snorkel that runs up from the airbox, through the bed and up toward the top of the cab. It then turns down so water doesn't go down it. I put a K&N dirt bike filter on the end as secondary air filtration.

Tony Evers likes this.
  9. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

I love the snorkel idea. I also run very dusty lane ways and gravel roads. I'm going to that this week. Would you mind providing a picture of the snorkel swat1018.

10. swat1018

swat1018 Member

It says my photo file is too large. Shoot me an email or phone number and I'll email or text it.

11. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

hello swat1018 my email is tonyevers43@gmail.com what did you use to drill through bed? A hole saw ? I imagine the hole would have to be at least 1 1/2 inches