1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the site

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kip thompson, Sep 15, 2021.

1. kip thompson

kip thompson Member

I just purchased an 1995 Suzuki carry. Wanting to change the oil in the transmission and transfer case. I used this form to purchase the correct fluids. I have a drain and fill on my transfer case. I drained this fluid but it did not drain the transmission. I have spent a lot of time looking for a separate drain on my standard 4 speed transmission and there is not one. I went ahead and filled the transfer case with new fluid it took like 8 ounces. I know the transmission takes like 2.6 quarts. I am at a loss to be able to drain my transmission. Any help would be great. And I did search the form before posting this question

punimog likes this.
  2. punimog

punimog Member

I need to do the same on mine. It's a '94 with a 4 speed. I remember seeing a similar question the other day on a Facebook group I'm in. I will look for that and see if I find an answer. I ought to be under mine Saturday so I'll take a look then if I can't find that post.

Edit: I found the post I was looking for. Transmission and transfer case use the same oil. So you should be able to drain it all through the same hole. It was suggested that you have to open the fill hole too in order to get it to drain and should be about 2.6L to fill. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  3. kip thompson

kip thompson Member

So I left the drain fill open when filling. I can only get the transmission/transfer case to take just what the transfer case holds, like 1/3 of a quart. The procedure I used was to remove the drain plug on the transfer case drained out 1/3 of a quart I then refilled the transfer case with about 1/3 of a quart I put oil in until it ran out of the fill hole on the transfer case. There is no other drain holes on the transmission.