1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tires Installed!!!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Inane2, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hey guys,

After months of debating what tire or what tire / wheel combo to go with, I finally upgraded my tires. I wanted to keep my stock wheels or go up to a 13" wheel. Ended up keeping my stock 12" wheel (working on a 2001 Daihatsu Hijet S210P). My stock tires, including the spare, are 145R12 Yokohama Delivery Stars, 6 ply. Excellent little tire, smooth ride on the asphalt and very quiet. However, not worth 2 cents off road. If it wasn't for the 4x4, my little truck would be sick out in the field with these tires.

Stock tires

[​IMG]

and a close up :

[​IMG]

Ordered a set of Yokohama Super Digger II's from Japan. 145R12, 6 ply and much, much more aggressive. The date code showed they were made in August of this year so this is fresh rubber!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got them mounted / balanced yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used the truck for several hours in the field today, hauling brush and cutting firewood. The tires performed great. Drove it down the road, tires rode good and were quiet. Overall, I'm very happy with these little "diggers"! :)

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

You're going to like those!!
    I do recommend STRONGLY, that you get them "studded-up", before the holes get contaminated.
    GREAT for climbing over logs, especially birch, not to mention ICE...
    I would have gone bigger, but those are great tires; must have cost you a "vacation".

3. rst277

rst277 Member

Can you tell "us" about what those tires cost? Thanks, Ralph

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, where the heck did you source those from???

5. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Wow, I'm also interested in those tires. They look GREAT! Maybe we could get a group of us to buy them and save on shipping...

6. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

I'm also interested. Are you in Canada? Did you have trouble getting them in without DOT certifcation?

The tread pattern looks great.

Where did you get them and how much? I'm in need of a set as well, and this would be great!

7. Kei King

Kei King Member

Those super diggers are a famous tire for mini trucks in Japan and have a great tread pattern but useless for us Canadians on the road without the proper DOT or Ecode stamp.

8. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the compliments on the tires! :)

Spaner, I think I'm really going to like them as well, they've already made a big difference in the dry, pleasant weather we're having now. I can't wait to try them out later this year. I did look the tires over again and noticed they aren't "stud-able". They're rated for mud and snow (on the sidewall) but don't allow for studs. I considered going bigger, but decided to leave everything stock.

I have a good friend that lives in Japan and he helped me out with the tires. Apparently, the Super Digger II's are discontinued and have made way for the newer model. However, like I mentioned earlier, all of my tires are fresh rubber (August of 2011). I give $250 for the set, which is less than half what the new model costs. The shipping was a little salty ;), but well worth it to me.

I didn't have any shipping / customs problems. The tires were banded with 3 nylon bands, had cardboard wrapped around the tread and were then shrink wrapped. The shipping label clearly declared what the package was (it wasn't hard to tell). They flew into Chicago and went through customs there. I realize there are differences in U.S. and Canadian customs, so I really can't advise concerning the DOT markings.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  9. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

cool. Very nice tires!

From what I've been told, if you ship tires to Canada (or at least go through the Vancouver port), they will cut the tires in half and ship them to your door that way :eek: if they are not DOT approved.

BUT if you ship brand new tires mounted on a vehicle, DOT approved or not, they have no problem with it...figure that out :frustration:

Rotten Dirty Buggers Transport Canada :D

10. daddygroove

daddygroove Member

nice tires

nice one, congrats on the diff lock.

11. wreck

wreck Member

I'd be in on a set too.

12. jwmorris

jwmorris New Member

I'm looking for new tires for my mini truck and was just wondering if you were still satisfied with Super Digger's?