1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Subaru Domingo (to me)

Discussion in 'Microvans' started by olddatsunfan, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Elbrad

Elbrad New Member

I hate to admit it, but I'm uncoordinated as all hell. I learned how to drive standard in case of an emergency, but I'm next to useless at it. Unfortunately, it has to be automatic for me.

I test drove one of the Sambars from Five Star Auto in Parksville, 93 Supercharged model. Seemed pretty responsive, but the ECVT took a little getting used to at first. I didn't have a chance to check it out on a hill, it's pretty flat in that neck of the woods. I did spin it up to 110kmh on the highway though, and she seemed to be revving really high...settled down nicely in the 90-100kmh area though.

the nice thing about being on the Island is there aren't too many hills, and right now the courier job only takes me from North Nanaimo to Bowser, with the occasional trip up the Hump to Alberni. Speed limit is 110 from mid-Parksville to the Alberni/Qualicum exit though...so it'd be nice to have something that'll keep up.

2. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Let's see, my 4wd Suzuki turned about 5200rpm in 5th gear at 90km/hr on the highway, my rwd turbo turned about 4800rpm in 5th gear on the highway and the Domingo turns about 3750rpm in 5th gear on the highway. The redline on the Suzuki motors is about 6800rpm? Don't know what it is on the Domingo, but, the lower the better for me!

I've a friend with a Subaru Sambar supercharged Kei van with the autotragic ... He says that it's great around town, but, it's scary on the highway, he's got over 170000k on it now and he's put on over 100000k himself ...

3. Stuff99

Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

hmm why is the supercharged auto scary on the highway? just that good or that bad?

4. MichaelPublic

MichaelPublic New Member

Hi folks,

I've got the 1995 Domingo GV-R, from Japanoid as well.

The GV-R decal is the trim level --(corrected thanks to Kei King)" GV-R is an appearance package, chrome bumper bars front and addition of rear bar,fog lights (yellow lense), chrome mirrors, rear roof spoiler, aluminum wheels, side rocker decal package, etc."

Mines the automatic, seems to be full time AWD (no shift out of 2WD button or lever) and I've driven it up to Parksville, did the Malahat fine and will run up to 120kph but is "happy" at about 85 or 90. I would love some kind of overdrive comparable to 6th gear for the flat to drop the rpm's. I don't have a tach it just revs high and runs hot.

Japanoid did the same headlight compliance fit on mine, I've emailed around and watch European auctions for factory lights from LHD vehicles, but so far nothing under $650 CDN once shipped here (nothing used either).
    I'd love to be in on a group buy if there ever is one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  5. anthill

anthill Member

Nice, you get chromed side mirrors with your GV-R package!

The headlights are out there, you just have to search in German for sheinwerfer! I found mine on ebay for reasonably cheap - $100 shipped to me.

This front-left headlight is a good deal - too bad it's not part of a set! You will need a French shipping address though... :(

6. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Seems to think the Sambar is unstable at speed and howls like a banshee past 80km/hr. Bear in mind he upgraded to 13" mags and tires too. I don't know if the autotragic has a overdrive or not though!

7. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Hi Michael, I agree that the headlamp conversion is kinda "iffy" in my mind. Let's all keep an eye out for these things and see if we can get a better deal on a group buy then, count me in!

I've got to get around to installing my tach into the Domingo, I've been working on my Suzuki lately and now my Datsun again so that'll have to wait a bit. I calculated out my rpm using a spreadsheet matched to my tire size and gearing so you could give that a try, let me try attaching it here ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  8. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Well, it's spring time here so it's time to try out summer tires and rims. I found a set of VW mags in 13"x5.5", 4x100mm bolt pattern with a 70mm centre bore. Fortunately, Canadian Tire had a sale this week on their Motomaster "AW" series of tires, that's one of the few available to me in 185/70/13, the size I wanted to try. These are supposedly made by Hankook out of a factory in China, but, since my other choice was also a Hankook, I cheaped out .... After 3 ½ hours in Canadian Tire, they had tested the mag and tire combo for interference and found it was close, but, cleared all four corners and the fronts from lock to lock. Funny thing is they figured out that I was mounting a different sized rim and wheel so they would only mount and balance the tires for me, not mount them on the van ...

They fit alright, with a bit of poke to the sides. The rims are a +45mm offset so everything just cleared fine. I'll get a bit of road grit thrown up the sides past the mud guards, but, even with the 175/70/13's I got that so I guess I'll just have to wash the van a bit more ...

Overall, the 185/70/13 is about ½% off in RPM compared to the stock 155/80/13 and is a bit taller. The 5.5" width of the rim and the 185mm tread make for a much more stable and smooth ride around town though, I've put 50km's on them so far and I haven't noticed any real loss of power with these on. All in all, I'm happy!

Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kei King

Kei King Member

The motomaster SE 175/70 was on sale this week for a few bucks more than the AW. I picked up a set today for a domingo I am getting ready for sale. The SE is made in USA by Goodyear. The sidewall is slightly stronger.

10. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

I've run the Motomaster "SE" also Jason, but, they only had the 175/70/13 in that size and I wanted to try the 185/70/13. It'll work out I think, the suspension is pretty plush on these things and I don't think I'll be cornering too hard! I do need to find a set of centre caps though, anyone have any ideas?

11. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

looks tidy. but engine... ummm too bright. well, if it's running well without smoke and "bad noises" than just enjoy

12. Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick New Member

Subaru Domingo

Hi
    I was wondering your thoughts on the following. I am test driving a Subaru Domingo 1994 ectv tran in a couple weeks from japanoid in new west.

Any thoughts on the tran or vAn in general?

Jason

13. Meesho

Meesho Member

That dealer is known for mostly importing "lower spectrum" vehicles. Yes they get some nice ones once in a while but for the most part they are junk. I know someone that lives in Victoria that bought a Baby Blue Sambar Van for their service related business with E-CVT and glass roof from that particular dealer and the tranny blew. The dealer is not covering it but charging him $1200 (not incl labour) to bring a replacement tranny from Japan. Either stay away from that tranny or get a written guarantee/ warranty.

The Subaru E-CVT transmission is one of the most unreliable transmissions in the mini truck world. Many people on the website will tell you that. If it's not the brushes, its the clutches. It is also gutless up hills and the top speed is not as high as the manual 5 speed.

Also, I personally wouldn't touch anything that just came from Japan since the nuclear melt down a few monthes ago. At the very least make sure it didn't come from Fukushima area or nearby. I have seen nice vehicles being imported that came only 50 km away from the nuclear disaster in Japan. The vehicles are selling for dirt cheap in that region for a reason, nobody that has the knowledge about the situation wants them.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  14. Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick New Member

Hi
    Thx
    The dealer does have a warranty available for it. As for dealers he is the only one I could find in Vancouver.

I'm not interested in brokers.

15. anthill

anthill Member

Read through the Subaru Justy forums on E-CVT transmissions. If that doesn't scare you, go for it...

16. Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick New Member

Test drive

hi
    I am test driving a*Mitsubishi Bravo 4wd Turbo Micro Van

*AWD and has the Turbo 660 CC DOHC 20V motor.

Any thoughts on this type?

17. Sambarmon92

Sambarmon92 Member

I don't know about you, but if it's the same van I'm thinking of, I couldn't live with the CREEPY headlights. :eek:

18. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Wow, it's been awhile since I've signed on! I've been pretty happy with the 5 speed domingo that I got from Japanoid. I'd stay away from the automatic though, it's just plain old gutless on the hills when I test drove one, the 5 speed is fine. The subarus ECVT supposedly has a pretty bad reputation for reliability too ...

19. Glasstech

Glasstech New Member

Good Day All

I've been lurking for a while but sure wish I'd discovered this site before I purchased my Domingo. Nothing wrong with it just lots of info here that would have influenced my choice.
    I picked up the Domingo from Japanoid on the 15th of April and drove it back to Whitehorse. Shogu was great and the service guys fantastic but after ordering some parts when I got back to Whitehorse they quite comunicating with me. Very disappointing.
    The trip back was 2812 Km in beautiful spring weather. Only 2 misadventures. A transport truch in Fort St John tossed a rock at me and took out a headlight. Then in Chetwyn one of the brand new winter tires went flat and I changed a tire in the only rainstorm of the trip. I was not pleased by the time I was done. It was late, I was cold, muddy (very) and not in a good mood. I spent the night there. A good dinner and a nights sleep improved my outlook on life.
    My only complaint about Japanoid was even though the mechanics should me where all the parts for the tires were, they didn't show me where the jack points were. The reason I was muddy is I have very bad knees, they are getting replaced starting in September, and I had to crawl onder the van to find the jack points. Not a biggie.
    Of course, once back in Whitehorse, some pickup throws another rock at me and put a dent in the front. At least it missed the windsheild!
    I may regret the CV transmission but I fint it one of the strong points of the van. The van has great pickup off the line and it takes hills, even from a slow start, very quickly. I limit top speen to around 90Km because she seems very light footed above that.
    Anthill, thanks for starting and moderating this forum. As I said before, it's very informative and a lot of fun.
    Olddatsunfan, too bad I did know about you before I left Vancouver. Next time I'm there I'll call and we can get together and swap some stories.
    Cheers all.

20. anthill

anthill Member

Glad it's been useful, Glasstech! I owe enough to "the internet" for keeping my '84 VW GTI running, I was shocked when I couldn't find a Domingo resource.

I just gave away a pair of Domingo headlights (the RHD version), sorry to hear your van is getting so beat up! But you probably had a sealed beam conversion from Japanoid, right?

Jack points on the Domingo are very counter intuitive (especially the rear ones). My van had bent and chipped rear swingarm hinge points from being mis-jacked on them. I'm tempted to break out the orange paint and put some "jack here" bullseyes on the rear crossbar.

Keep us in touch and post photos!