1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New struts? Heavier springs? or replace both?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by RollTider123, Jun 26, 2014.

1. ttc

ttc Active Member

When I was looking I seen some for cheaper. What you use as a search will help find others

2. Horn Hunter

Horn Hunter Member

Thanks for saving me $$'s on struts!

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Talking to the guy who actually put them on, and the brake hose connections are wrong. He adapted from the old struts and made them work.

Further research is those part numbers work if you have the front drums.

You will need to modify them to change the brake line attachment if you have disc brakes. The guy said it wasn’t hard. But, I wasn’t there and can’t swear it isn’t hard. He has a much larger tool kit than most people.

CVP33 likes this.
  4. Horn Hunter

Horn Hunter Member

In the photos the tab on the back where the brake hose clip goes does look different but not so different that you couldn't figure out how attach a brake hose.

5. CVP33

CVP33 Active Member

JnF,

I’m assuming either of these parts work?

[​IMG]

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

They are a bit longer than the stock springs, (about 3/8-inch) but are the correct inside diameter. The literature I have on the left hand drive 80-series Hijets which were imported in the eighties indicates that they had 200-lb/in rate springs, with a length of 11.6-inches, and an interior diameter of 2.5-inches.

CVP33 likes this.
  7. CVP33

CVP33 Active Member

I went ahead and ordered the QA-1 springs. I’ll start there and then replace the shock/struts if needed. $140 shipped after tax was way less than what others were asking.

Limestone likes this.
  8. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

You'll be Happy with them!
    Limestone

CVP33 likes this.
  9. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

I just put my Heavy duty 2” lift on with progressive springs and it made a huge difference, in handling and ride. Plus I was able to put 25” 10ply dot tires on!

Attached Files:

Shane75, Limestone and CVP33 like this.
  10. thedakotakid

thedakotakid New Member Supporting Member

OK, after reading countless remarks, let me see if got this:

I plan on installing a Jeep bumper, my weight is #300, and I would welcome a bit of a lift: Go with the 12 inch progressive springs:
    QA1 High-Travel Coilover Springs 12HT175/350 (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-12ht175350#overview)

No jeep bumper, stock height wish: 10 inch springs?

11. Jigs-n-fixtures

Unless you do major suspension redesign, stay with higher rate springs of the stock length. If you install a longer spring onto the stock struts, you will have it preloaded to teh point the coils are binding.

I elected to install variable rate springs on mine, because I mount a snowplow in the winter which adds about 500-pounds on the front, and I want a decent ride year round. When the struts start to wear out, I’m going to weld in shock mounts, and use a shock from a light truck to do teh dampening, with the stock struts only there to maintain suspension geometry.

On the rear I added a leaf from a set of trailer springs to the leaf spring packs, to stiffen it it, and installed longer shocks. I removed the stock shock absorber mounts and installed larger ones so I can just buy an eye to eye shock for a light truck at any parts house.

Limestone and thedakotakid like this.
  12. thedakotakid

thedakotakid New Member Supporting Member

Got it. 10 inch. I checked and I don't see a 175/350 on the Summit page, so would you recommend a 10HT225/475 or a 10HT140/250. I might run a small plow on the front this winter, but that is up in the air (NoDak was buried last year under 100+ inches of snow)

13. Horn Hunter

Horn Hunter Member

20220409_140552.jpg
    Like this?
    2 inch lift
    Heavy duty springs off of ebay
    Jeep bumper
    I replaced both CV shaft with new from Japan as the original 1996 were going to give out with the extra abuse.
    It bottomed out badly on old stock springs with two American sized passengers. The HD springs solved that. I carry four full sized humans with the addition of the safari seat in the bed no problem.
    It's been off road, hauled out deer in TN and WV, and used around my property no issues. 20230319_160347.jpg
    mini.jpg 20220815_193527.jpg

Limestone likes this.