1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two F6A engines coupled together in my Suzuki Carry

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Don-in-Japan, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Thanks for adding this section!

I was thinking about a project my cooworker brought up. Two F6A engines coupled together in my Suzuki Carry. I'll have to bring my engine forward a bit, relocate the radiator, and also cut the driveshaft. Any thoughts on this setup? I'm just getting used to my new CNC mill setup (it's whizzing away right now), and I think it's about time to double my HP's.

Anyone tried this on any other vehicles before?

Any hints?

2. draggbody

draggbody Member

my concern would be fueling as you would have two engines runnig separately at the same time... i would think that i would want to gain as much out of the stock engine first, like balancing/lightening the crank, do some port work on the head, try some alternate fuel induction etc...

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i certainly agree with draggbody, work over your stock motor first. IMHO i would stay away from lightening the rotating mass of the motor (harmonic balancer, crank or fly) it will make turning your tires pretty tough from a dead stop, it will lose a lot of RPM between shifts and your fuel economy will drop. i would certainly look into a conservative cam, a free flowing exhaust and an unrestricted intake manifold. if i learned nothing else when i was building drag motors... it was put money in the head work. that's where you will really see the pay-off. i spent thousands on having heads worked and reworked until i could run "the number".

on the topic of two motors, it's a touchy issue (the first time i saw this was an austin mini built by john cooper with one motor in the front and one in the back). i have set up engines with as many as 4 carburetors before that dedicated one venturi to each cylinder (4 two barrels on a V8 sounds awesome). it's all about duplication and synchronization. they have to do the exact same thing and the same time. and with two motors you have to make sure more things are working in sycn than just the butterflys and jets. you have to make sure the ignition timing, carburation, valve timing, cam lobes (duration, lobe center and lift), i mean everything has to be dead nuts even so they come on the power at the same time and you don't have one engine dragging the other on one pulling the other. it's an uphill battle but the reward will certainly be worth the endeavor.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  4. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

it has been done , but it's still cheeper to put in a larger motor . the twincam 1.3 suzuki made 100 HP .

5. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

I've already done the internals in my engine. Overhauled, head ported and shaved. No headers or carb work yet.. thats where my cnc will come into play.

Agreed though.. a straight swap over may be easier.

6. prw512

prw512 New Member

did it help with head work and how much did it help. i just put 23 x 8 x 12 tires and i need MORE POWER

7. boosted mitsu

boosted mitsu Member

might as well turbo charge it.
    i've seen honda motors pull about 700+hp from a 1.3 and over 100hp on a 2.0 liter 4g63 mits motor.
    turbo is by far the easiest hp you can get. prep the block, get the right compression ratio on the pistons, set up the turbo system and dial in the fuel.
    if you are looking to go all out you can easily double your hp. of course then your drive train may or will start to go.
    but its fun :)

8. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

have you ever heard of anyone putting a 1.6L mitsu (dodge colt) engine in a minicab? what do you do about the low geared diff's when you have more power...is there gear changes available? just wondering:pop:

9. boosted mitsu

boosted mitsu Member

no, but i'm sure it can be done. you can adapt the 1.6 to the current trans if there is space or swap out the drive train all together. its a matter of time, money and effort......and, of course, good or excellent planning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.