1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New owner's check-list

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Rural, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Rural

Rural Member

So let's say you've just got a mini truck delivered. What things would you check before putting it into service? Except for windshield washer fluid (got to pick some up today), I'm through my list, but I always miss something obvious.

2. Mini4WD

Mini4WD Member

First thing I did was to change the Oil and Filter, Checked the brake fluid and antifreeze level, Re-tightned lug nuts, checked Air Pressure in the tires, condition of the wiper blades. I then drove it a few miles and got out and checked the conditioned of the hoses, tires, etc. I had a small hose that was leaking water and the drivers side wheel was a good bit warmer than the other three wheels. The brake calipar piston was dragging so i took it apart and cleaned the road grime off and it worked fine then. While I had it on the lift fixing the brakes, I noticed that one of the steering arms was loose. I went to NAPA and bought a new bushing to fix that problem. I haven't yet changed the plugs and fuel filter because it seems to be running fine but that will be next on my list. I wouldn't drive it too much though until you do a complete service on all the lubes and filters.

3. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

Change engine oil and filter
    Check and fill all other lubrication
    Antifreeze condition and protection level
    Air filter
    Steering play
    Tie rod ends and ball joints
    Wheel bearings
    CV joint boots
    Brake Fluid
    Brake shoe and pad thickness
    Brake drums and rotors condition
    Clutch pedal freeplay
    Wiper blades
    Condition of spark plugs and wires
    Valve clearance if adjustable
    Tire pressure

After first good day of use crawl under and check for any seepage or leaks.

4. Rural

Rural Member

Thanks. Looks like my Saturday is planned.

5. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

I forgot to put timing belt and fuel filter on the list.

6. WVTrailseeker

WVTrailseeker New Member

New owner check list?

The first thing we did even before leaving the dealer was to change the air filter, they did it for us.
    We brought it home, and changed the oil filter and oil, checked the washer fluid.
    Now how do you check the antifreeze?
    We found two knobs that turn off under the dash, but after removing those knobs we can't figure out how to raise the "hood".
    Anyone out there, can you tell us how to raise the hood on a Suzuki?

7. Rural

Rural Member

Hood? There probably isn't a hood on a Suzuki. There certainly isn't a hood on my Subaru Sambar. The closest thing to a hood is an access panel in the truck box. There's really not much to get to up front of the cab anyway. A horn, lights, some of the ducting for climate control, and not much else.

8. WVTrailseeker

WVTrailseeker New Member

Even if there is no "hood" where can I look to check the antifreeze?
    I know there is a place under the drivers seat, but we didn't find anything there, that even looks like the top of a radiator, so now where is the top of the radiator, so we can check the antifreeze to keep this thing from freezing?
    Thanks tho for the help so far.

9. Rural

Rural Member

Suzuki's might be different, but on my Sambar, the engine coolant is on the driver's side, under the truck box, just behind the cab. Windshield washer fluid is under the passenger seat (but it looks like you know that).

After I got my truck home, I made a checklist of things to find (oil filter, fuel pump, ...) and started hunting. It took a lot longer to find everything than I expected. The windshield washer fluid reservoir almost won that battle.

You definitely are not alone.

10. WVTrailseeker

WVTrailseeker New Member

Thanks a lot for that info.
    Now to coax DH into removing the "Rhino" liner on the bed, to get into that area.
    We just haven't had a lot of time to "look" but, since the colder weather is coming, we really need to get that done.
    Thanks again, I will pass on the info as soon as Hubby gets home from work.
    BTW, I found the Windshield washer fluid just by looking around the "hole" when DH and the seat out.
    Now I am glad that I was right, he thinks it is something else. LOL

11. Rural

Rural Member

No need to access it through the truck box. (There isn't an access panel.) Just crouch down and look under the truck box behind the cab. The reservoir should be right there looking back at you. Mine pops off of a spring-steel clip for easy filling. Only noticed that after spending a couple minutes scratching my head while holding a container of coolant.

12. jliltd

jliltd Member

That's news to me. All our Suzuki's have an access panel in the bed behind the cab held on with 4 bolts. That being said you don't have to remove that cover for coolant check. The overflow/coolant bottle is right under the driver's keester. Remove the driver's-side seat bottom and have a look.

If you instead want to access the radiator directly, remove the two plastic nuts underneath the dash, one each side above the driver's and passenger's outboard ankle. The front body panel under the headlights above the grill that says "Suzuki" on it comes off after these nuts are removed. That will get you to the radiator & cap.

13. Rural

Rural Member

Well, there you have it. Suzuki and Subaru have different layouts. Can't say that I'm surprised, but I guess I should have qualified that everything I was talking about was on my Subaru.

14. Subaru

Subaru Member

Subaru seems to be more associated with Canada,and Suzuki south of the border.Just due to different laws eh!!:D

15. jliltd

jliltd Member

I've had a few Subarus. In fact I know a fellow who got one whole load of 7 Subarus at one time eh.

I love the Subarus the best above all others except for one detail. We've had every Subaru engine "smoked" subsequent to it's arrival. We used the expensive factory OEM air cleaners and still have had the troubles. Then again we are in a pretty extreme dusty environment and truly do run our trucks "off road". The other makes have held up fine with proper air cleaner maintenance but perhaps the Subaru's aft filter configuration puts it more in the line of fire when it comes to dust. I think the fellows in Missouri have shipped out a lot of replacement KS4 motors over the last few years. I think a good air cleaner mod that would keep the engine clean on the Subaru would make it the best all-around minitruck. Until then I'm off them.

16. jliltd

jliltd Member

Yup. The Subaru and Hondas are the most different of the bunch but each make has a truly different design from the ground up. The mid-engine makes have more "similarities" than the aft engine makes but they are still very different from each other.

The Subie engineers appear to have been the most independent of the lot.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  17. Rural

Rural Member

Good tip. I'm going to have a long look at the wheres, whys, and hows of my Sambar's air-filtration system. I'm often on gravel roads, so this may be time well spent.

This issue probably deserves its own thread.

18. rayallen

rayallen Member

As a farmer/ rancher I have lots of dust to contend with. You may want to add a extension to your air cleaner and get your clean air from a new location, like just behind the cab at the top of the cab. Just something to think about, like making a snorkel for the engine. ray allen

19. WVTrailseeker

WVTrailseeker New Member

Coolant check

Thanks all for the info, as we have the Suzuki, I am leaning toward the coolant being under that dreaded Rhino Covered panel in the truck-bed, but, I will look under the truck too, just in case.

I am now wondering about those two removable nuts under the dash. We did turn and remove them but.... the small panel door on the front didn't just come-off, so now how do you remove it? Is there some kind of a latch that you can feel under the panel, in the small "slot" on the front, below the panel? I did notice the slot, but when we tried to lift it up, or out, or off, it didn't do anything and with it all or almost all being plastic we didn't want to break anything that would or does hold the panel on.

We don't have the Suzuki emblem on the front now that the Camo Tape is on it, the installers didn't put the emblem back on, I guess they didn't want to punch holes in the tape after putting it on????

Thanks all who wrote concerning checking the coolant, for this has helped me to look harder for the area we need to look in, to check the coolant.

20. WVTrailseeker

WVTrailseeker New Member

Coolant Check

:D
    OK today DH is working and I decided to look for the Coolant in my Suzuki, and I found it.:D:D:D
    It was located under the drivers seat, and it even has a lid that says "Coolant" right on the top. YIPEEE
    So, I didn't have to tear off the Rhino liner in the bed to find it, DH will really appreciate that, I am sure.
    Thanks all who gave me advice on where to look for this. I still didn't find the radiator, but.... I found out that there is Anti-freeze in the Suzuki and as soon as DH gets home in the morning, I will ask about the Anti-freeze checker, so we can see if it will be good enough to get thru the winter without freezing.
    I am so loving this forum.
    I can actually find out good info here and DH will appreciate what I learn, as I can pass it on to him.
    Thanks again.

21. Rural

Rural Member

I was poking around my Sambar this morning. Checked out the air filter (it needs replacing, badly) and where the air is coming from. It looks to me, like the air intake gets its air from two places: Near the exhaust and from up front. I took off a couple of the guards around the exhaust, to try to figure out exactly where outside air made it inside, but the truck kept that secret.

The other route was more fruitful. It looks like the air comes from near the front (haven't tracked down exactly where yet) by way of the passenger-side frame member. So Subaru got that right.

But why would air be drawn from in-and-around the exhaust system? My first guess would be pre-heating, except that you want the air to be on the cool side to maximize power.

From the look of the filter, the air coming from around the exhaust is the problem.

22. WVTrailseeker

WVTrailseeker New Member

I will have to check that out too. Our air filter is under the drivers seat, and is a very tall round one, and when we bought the truck, the dealer changed it and installed a new one, and showed us where it was located and how to change it, which really wasn't hard to do at all.
    I did notice that there are two exhaust lines under the truck, and one is coming from the front, so... DH or I will have to look into that too.
    We don't live in a very dusty place, so the lines will probably remain where they are, unless we have to change them. Hope that doesn't happen.
    DH used to love to work on vehicles, but.. in the past few years, I think I like to do it more than he does, and since I am not really knowledgeable about vehicles, like he is anyway, I don't always understand all I know about them. LOL
    But I am willing to learn, that is why I am here and he isn't. Besides the fact that he doesn't do computering.
    Thanks again. You all have helped me a great deal, just by giving me some where to look and by telling me what to look for too.

23. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

Thanks for the post, new member using forum as manual. Have you attached a bush bar to your suzuki ? I have looked pretty hard and have come to conclusion I must remove current front skid tubing for bush bar attachment. any Thoughts would be appreciated.
    Tony- Radium Hot Springs-96 suzuki