1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cliff67, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Cliff67

Cliff67 New Member

Just picked up a 92 U42T Mitsi for my father for deer hunting and around home in MN.

2. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Congrats! I hope it suits him.

3. Cliff67

Cliff67 New Member

Thanks it should after we take care of problems from previous owner. Just found out today the guy was full of bs when he sold it to us. Without tearing into it appears the rings are shot as it burns oil fairly good.

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Try some seafoam and see if it loosens the rings up. Probably won’t help, but it is worth the cost to try.

5. Cliff67

Cliff67 New Member

Thanks but I think it's beyond an easy fix. Trying to decide if I want to try to replace valve guide seals. I've worked on many engines but never played around with overhead cam, maybe I'm over thinking it too much not sure.

6. DSlag

DSlag Member

Good luck. I hate getting screwed,,,

7. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

does it smoke on startup only or all the time? if its constant its more likely to be rings/PCV issue than valve guides/seals. valve guides will piss blue smoke on cold startup then settle down afterwards. myself i'd just run thicker oil w/some ATF tossed into the crankcase and toss in some no-smoke additive stuff in the oil or seafoam in the gas tank and run the engine into the ground then swap out the longblock

8. Cliff67

Cliff67 New Member

Changed out the plugs and sprayed carb cleaner in it then test drive, what a diff all kinds of power but stills smoke like crazy making me lean toward valve guide seals. Gonna have to wait till December now heading out to go deer hunting. Thanks again.

9. DSlag

DSlag Member

Git-R-Dun.
    (written by some upright American poet):)
    In my yesteryear research days for old Japanese carburated bikes, that was the one thing I learned; KISS! Start with carb spray and plugs (and/or a battery). If that doesn't work, then broaden the search parameters. Too many time, it worked.
    Enjoy the repurposing of orgainic protien matter! (aka huntin')
    Blessings.