1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Owner with Questions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sam mondello, May 29, 2018.

1. Sam mondello

Sam mondello New Member

Recently bought a Mazda Scrum, added a 2" lift kit, changed all the fluids, added a bumper with hitch, Led off road lights, painted bedliner, and Yokohama Super Diggers.

Truck has been a champ and can go though anything!

The other day a light on the dash lite up, looks like a muffler with heat rising off of it, I got under the truck and realized a with was pulled from what looks like a O2 sensor, Where can i get one of these?
    Also the truck ran fine even with that light on for a few days then the idle seemed to be stuck on high, checked to make sure nothing was blocking the throttle and found nothing. The truck also stays running a bit after turning off now.

All related the the O2 sensor? If not what else should i be looking at to fix this?

thanks
    sam

Attached Files:

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Go to Megazip to find part # and you can purchase from them if you want to. FYI - under the seat you should findthe chassis number stamped in the framework forming the seat support. You should also findthe Manufacturs plate on the door frame. You will probably find that it will be DG*******, when looking for part #s, change the DG toDA to find your model. Mine was also sold originally as a Mazda Scrum and is DG****** which is the method used by Suzuki (who did in fact manufacture the vehicle) to indicate that it was to be rebadgd as a Mazda.

Fred

3. DWils

DWils Member

Weird. I'm of no mechanical help, but good luck trying to fix it and when you do please let us all know how you did it.

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

What it is telling you is the catalytic converter is getting hot. This usually means the mixture is rich. This is caused by a problem in either the fuel system, or an intermittent misfire.

From your problems with the idle, I’d look at the fuel system and see if you can track down the issue there, before doing the O2 sensor.

5. Sam mondello

Sam mondello New Member

Thanks for all the help so far, heres the rest of the story...

Must have had a tree branch get under the truck just right, and pulled the wire out of the sensor. The light on the dash is on constantly. The truck ran fine for the 1st few days then started to run at high idle. Guessing to replace the o2 sensor 1st to see if it fixes the rest of the symptoms, thoughts? Also i couldnt locate a 02 sensor on megazip and dont know if i am going about it wrong or if you have another suggestion on where to get on?

6. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

its not an O2 sensor, it is likely the catalytic converter heat sensor. many JDM vehicles have no EGR or emissions besides a cat converter, the dash light is a last ditch effort for if the cat clogs and heats up to warn you before the catalyst catches fire. you likely unplugged the sensor and it thinks your cat is overheating now, you should be able to ground it to get the light off or just take the bulb from the cluster

my Toyota Crown has a near plugged cat converter from being high mileage and has the same sensor on the cat youre talking about, im in the process of straight piping it and just grounding the wire

7. Sam mondello

Sam mondello New Member

So it ended up being a series of coincidences. The branch took the wire out of the heat sensor (thats why the dash light came on, grounding it made the light go out) . The high idle was caused by another branch that went through the radiator. Once that was fixed and the coolant filled, and the air let out of the system...everything went back to normal!!

8. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Wow. Glad you figured it out. So were you able to reconnect the wire to the sensor, or did you just ground the wire to make the light go out?

9. Sam mondello

Sam mondello New Member

I half tried to reconnect but need to spend a little more time. Because there was no issue with cat i did just ground the wire out for now. Will try to reconnect at a later time