1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New owner of old truck

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dwight Webster, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Dwight Webster

Dwight Webster New Member

Also had to change my picture to show both trucks. And they are finally power washed, turns out they are white not mold colored!

Here is a picture of the first one in its new home. Added a solar panel, battery and relay setup so that it turns on at night. More pics once we get it finalized as a decorative landscape piece.

Attached Files:

2. Koffer

Koffer Donating Member

That’s really cool looking plus your making a nice place for snakes to scare the crap out of you too :D

3. Dwight Webster

@Koffer, that is a fair statement as we do get snakes here! Hoping to have them running soon to discourage the unwanted guests.... Actually probably more concerned about mice! They have chewed a couple of my cars, not cool.

4. Koffer

Koffer Donating Member

I’ve been dealing with mice quite a bit since my neighbors got a royal PITA dog the other 2 they had at the time were fine till the 3rd showed who killed or ran off the cats ( also killed my chickens by getting into their pen thru the 4x2 wielded wire more then once ) so the mice have overrun the area , they are getting into my garage which I never had an issue till the dog showed I put a trap in my daihatsu and was caught 5 in 2 days . I set a trap after catching one and walked away, heard it snap 30 secs later while I was next to the truck thinking I didn’t set it right , nope it was another one .Tossed the “ issue” reset the trap and had another With in 2 hours . My chickens don’t even go after the mice anymore ( plus the bugs have gotten worse as I can’t let them roam my yard )

5. Dwight Webster

We had dogs when we first moved out here that went after our chickens! We got rid of those 2 thank goodness. It is pretty amazing what happens if the cats leave or slow down. Our main mouser is coming up on 15 years old. She is awesome but her time is probably running short. Hate to see what happens when she is gone. Every other cat we have had doesn't last more than a few months if they go outside. We call it 'hanging out at the coyote bar'.

As for the truck, got 4 new tires, hand cranked the motor. Now I just need to figure out if the starter is getting power. Heading out there now!

6. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Know your area well! I used to take the month of February off, and get out of the snow, for a bit with my family! Spent time in Lake Forest, near you, and Thousand Oaks, above LA! Yeah your right, the Coyotes are pretty abundant their! I'm used to them, cause we have em here too! I usually wack 5 or 6 a year, depending! Good Luck!
    Limestone

7. Dwight Webster

We are a bit further south, but yes, it is the same kind of terrain. Luckily we are up in the mountains east of San Diego, and away from most of the city stuff. Hoping to get my truck running because out here I can drive it pretty much anywhere they drive golf carts now!

Limestone likes this.
  8. Dwight Webster

Looking for some advice. Got everything in place to start it. Turn the key, get 2 red lights on the dash. But that's it. Tried pushing in the clutch in case there was an over ride - nothing. The question is whether there should be another connection to the positive side of the battery. Right now all I have is the line that goes to the starter. Seems like there should be something that powers everything else... Thoughts/suggestions?

Also wondering where I can get a good service manual. Ideally one I can just download. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  9. Limestone

Yeah I'm like you! Not crazy about cities! I deal with them, as I need, or have too!
    Limestone

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Dwight Webster likes this.
  10. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The manuals for the S81s show up on eBay. A bit pricey. But then it is kind of invaluable.

11. Limestone

I would Stay away from the reprinted one! Very hard to read! It's a shame, cause I spoke with the seller, and he's going to try to get better copies! Until then, stay away from it!
    Limestone

12. Dwight Webster

13. Limestone

Yep, that's the one!!! It's really a shame, because, there's so much valuable info in it! I haven't given a review yet, either way, because I don't want to bash the guy, until I at least give him a chance to correct the issue like he said he would try to! I'm gonna try to follow up with him and see where he's at with it, or if he's just feeding me some bull, like a politician!!!
    Limestone

14. Dwight Webster

i am going to try it and I’ll just send it back if I can’t read it. Maybe he fixed it??!!

In the meantime, today I realized my trucks are very close in age. They are both S80, and their VIN numbers end in 307035 (jumbo cab) and 306703 for the regular cab.

15. Limestone

Let us know how that shakes out!
    Limestone

16. Dwight Webster

Will do! I am hoping he does well by us all...

17. Dwight Webster

While I wait for that manual I have been working on the other truck. It is missing a key and I found an eBay guy who has keys. How do I find the key code?? Is it tied to the VIN in any way?

18. Koffer

Koffer Donating Member

Toyota used to stamp on the Lock cylinder in the pass side door and since diahatsu is pretty much Toyota to the point the key blank is the same I’d say pull the lock and see if the number is stamped on it

Dwight Webster likes this.
  19. Dwight Webster

That is exactly what the Toyota dealer said! :) Ended up pulling the lock cylinder and taking to the town locksmith. He had no problem making a new key in minutes. And it used a Toyota blank too! Learned a bunch today.

Limestone likes this.
  20. Dwight Webster

Had to post the key, as I am hoping the jumbo is the first to fire up... It has seats...

Attached Files: