1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Noise in Hijet

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Samurai9, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Yesterday I noticed a new noise when I drove the Hijet. I had previously heard coming from the left front a metallic sound such as might be made by a small pot bouncing on a sheet of metal. It seems to be related to the bouncing motion of the car as it moves. It comes and goes and I am not too worried about it. May have nothing to do with the suspension or drivetrain. But the new noise, also seeming to come from the left side, is more high pitched, like two pieces of metal rubbing against each other when the wheels are turning. It occurs even when the brakes are not being applied and does not seem to appear until after a few minutes of driving. The 1993 Hijet had a three inch lift when I got it and I am expecting to have CV joint problems at some point.

Any ideas on what may be causing this or what I should check?

Thanks,

Sam

2. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

It could be break related. Pull the front tire and get some brake cleaner and clean it up real good. Check to see how much pad you have left.

Jeff

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

you drive mostly off road right? it could be little rocks or dirt between your brake shoes and drum?

4. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

LGC,

I drive a little on my property, going up a rough, rocky trail, and on surrounding county roads. I have to go through my little creek several times on my journeys.

Sam

5. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

a little rock in your brake drums?

6. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I would be happy if the problem were just a rock in the brakes. Since I bought this truck in February, it has never been checked by a mechanic. I had it towed to a garage for that purpose but after a week with nothing done, I realized that my regular mechanic didn't want to work on it and was putting every other car ahead of mine. So I haven't had the brakes checked and need to do so. Now I have my own car hauler trailer and may have to test it out by bringing the Hijet into town from twelve miles out in the country. I now have the advantage of possessing the shop manual for the prior model.

Thanks to all,

Sam

7. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

You know, It's crazy. I had a similar problem with my carry. I thought shock, but it looked ok. Bad upper balljoint, but good again. I did a complete brake job since it was getting close to that time as well. Same problem. I replaced the wheel bearings.. still the same.

It ended up being the speedometer cable. It runs from the transmission, just to the inside of the front left wheel. Apparently, the lining inside wore away and allowed the cable to rub against the metal cover.

If you follow your cable, and it runs the same way, I recommend removing the cable from the rear of the transmission, and drive around a bit. See if it doesn't fix the problem.

8. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I drove the truck again today and I think the noise is brake-related. No noise for some time, then I used the brakes coming down a hill and the noise began. It continued with the brakes not being used, then eventually went away. Brakes sticking?

Sam

9. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Like I said. Pull the wheel and spray "Brake Cleaner" on the brake disc and brake pads. Brake cleaner evaporates very quickly so soak it down real good. Wipe everything real good and if you have a compressor, blow everything out and inspect everything while you have the wheel off. When it comes to brakes, you can have noise from time to time and sometimes all the time and never really solve the problem. I would try to clean them before I spent the time driving into a repair facility to get charged for something that could very well be a simple fix.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Jeff

10. TractorDre

TractorDre New Member

Vehicles that sit for long periods of time will always have intermittant brake noise because of rust.

My GMC sat in the yard alot. Rust built up on the rotors and heated up the rotor when I drove it. Small cracks were made from the heat that caused the rotor to disintagrate going down a 16% road grade while towing my tractor. I was 180 miles from home. New rotors best price cost me $175 each back at home. Up north was to great of a wait, and cost of $320 each..

Check your brakes before you have a serious problems.

11. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I drive the Hijet once or twice a week, on average. I have not had the brakes checked since I bought it in late February.

Sam

12. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

New cars on the "lot" from Aveos to Corvetts to Escalades would have rust on the rotors. Always had customers asking, "how long have you had this car?". It would happen over night.
    Tmikewww