1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New nanco 6-12 arrived (pics)

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by countryrebel, Apr 20, 2008.

1. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

They finally came in 4 days late, and not mounted like they were supposed to be and all other tire shops were closed so I decided to mount them myself. The stock tires were not so bad but these nanco's are stiff. I am happy I went with the 4 ply because they feel more like a 6 ply. So after some dawn dish soap and elbow grease I got them on the stock rims. I am also glad I picked these over atv tires and I hope they will stand up to gravel, canyons, rocks, snow, mud and trails but only time will tell. I will update any pro's or con's that I have and how well they wear and ride. Snapped a couple of pics in the garage just to get started.

Plenty of tire clearance up front with 2" of lift.
    [​IMG]

According to my tape they are only 22" mounted. If you air them all the way up you could probably get 23" out of them. I like the fact that they are closer to 22" so I still keep some of my low end power. I still need to play around with air pressure some but at the measure of 22" they had 20 psi in them. I will try them there and then drop some and try them again. Looks good with 3" lift in the rear.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

No rubbing and no trimming, plenty of room.
    [​IMG]

The lugs measure 1/2 inch in the center and 3/4 inch on the outer part of the lug.
    [​IMG]

3. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

I am sure these tires will get me where I need to go within reason. They are not wide so you are not going to have a lot of floatation. They measure about 5 1/2" wide with 20 psi.
    [​IMG]

Its starting to look like something now. Will post more soon.
    [​IMG]

4. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

9" of clearance up front measuring from the lowest point with no people in the cab.
    [​IMG]

6" of clearance from the bottom of the axle housing with no weight.
    [​IMG]

5. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I think these tires are a good option. There is something to be said for having tires that are aggressive for offroad but which do not rub or require cutting the body. Tell us how the new tires work out for you.

Sam

6. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

I have been totally happy with mine(pics in photo gallery) /(bought them last fall).......worked very well in the 12 inches of snow this winter....and through the rocky creek beds and muddy trails in the woods..... No problems or complaints ....

7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Nice post, countryrebel!

8. Heiny57

Heiny57 New Member

How much are they If you don't mind and were do you buy them?

Very nice post for info and comparison. Thanks

9. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

I paid $200 from les schwab tires. Indianajason what have you been running for air pressure? Today I dropped my fronts from 20psi down to 15 and the rears down to 12psi and that made a huge difference in road noise. The higher pressure was causing it to ride hard on the lugs.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  10. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

I am not sure on pressure, I will have to check....to be honest, the guys who installed them probably put the "recommended" pressure in them, and I have never checked them....I will look though.... They have a distinct "hum" going down the road at 40+ mph...no vibration.... I use the truck strictly off road though so its really a non-issue for me.....

11. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Also...whenver I get around to getting the clutch fixed, and get the 3 inch lift in and put on I purchased from JRinTX (member here), I am selling the 23's to a friend and getting the same tires but in 25 inch.....However I think the 25's will work even without a lift.....

12. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

I used mine last weekend on my 93 mitsu and loved them. Very little i could not do with them. I'll experiment with them more this weekend at Broadriver.

13. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

Snap some pictures and post em up. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

14. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

Ok I took mine out last night and the hum from the lugs is loud. At higher speeds I could not even hear myself think and could not hear the engine. I know the wife is not going to like it. What do you guys think of putting a car tire back up front that is the same size as the nanco and just run the naco on the rears?

15. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Of course, these tires are for mud, dirt, loose rock, and the like. You can run them on pavement but they will be rough above, say, 20-30 mph. I have a set of stock road tires mounted on stock wheels in case I need to make an emergency trip on blacktop. It would take me about a half hour to switch the wheels. Aggressive tires of this kind will rip lawns to pieces, especially if there has been some recent rain.

Sam

16. steelyron

steelyron Member

I originally had the Carlisle All Trail on ITP. Great for off road... but noisy and rough on blacktop. Since I found myself running the back roads more than trails, I switched to truck tires and wheels found on:

http://www.ulmerfarmservice.com/otherstuff.htm

Now it is much better on the road, and still works on the trail. :)

17. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

OK, I put a little more time in on them tonight and they are growing on me. I am going to run them front and back, the wife went with me and assured me they are not that bad. I played around with air pressure and for now settled on 18psi in the front and 12psi in the rear.12 to 15 up front was almost to squishy when rolling over rocks etc. 20psi seemed to be much louder on the road but once I hit 23+psi it seemed to calm down again.
    Almost everywhere we went was in 2wd. Of course the dogs were in the back so that helped. I am going to put a heavy rear bumper on to add some weight in the back.
    [​IMG]

Great traction and cleanout,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  18. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

No mud stuck to these tires,
    [​IMG]

A little to squishy with only 12 to 15psi up front, its hard to tell from the photo but it is squished out more than it looks. On jagged rocks they almost hit the rims at low pressure. 18 psi gives me a happy medium.
    [​IMG]

They are growing on me[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  19. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Great write up. I have a couple of Nanco's on stock rims that I have for spares, but havn't used them yet.

Thanks alot,
    Greg

20. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Great photos.

Sam

21. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Well...hhmmmmm... I have the exact same tires...have had mine 40mph+ on the road, no vibrations, but they did hum....but not that bad really....my definition of a loud hum may be different than others, but I really didnt notice it to be excessive by any means????????...:confused:

Great pics....they are great tires....I have not checked the air pressure yet, but by what you mentioned the tires did at a certain psi, I would say mine have the "factory" psi in them, as they were put on by a dealer and I havent done anything to them. I know that I had probably 1,000 pounds of firewood heaped on the truck, and they had a slight, very slight bulge to them....on flat ground, rocks, etc...through rocky creek beds, over the river and thru the woods to grandmas house.....:D

22. hotrodford

hotrodford New Member

I've got a set of the Nanco 6x12's, mounted on stock wheels for sale if anyone is interested. They drive straight, no vibrations, etc. I just drive mine on the highway more than the mud and couldn't justify the 'hum' they make. I'll take $200 + shipping if anyone is interested.

23. jay woods

jay woods Member

Hey Hotrod, what type of wheels are they mounted on, I have a hijet. Wondering if they will fit.

24. hotrodford

hotrodford New Member

They are mounted on the stock Suzuki wheels. Aired up, balanced and ready to go. I had them on my Suzuki before I put a lift kit on it and there were no clearance issues.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  25. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

Update,
    Now that the nanco's are broken in they are much better in the noise department. I took the fronts up to 20psi and the rears are 15psi. We took it out last weekend on some muddy roads and drove pretty much everywhere in 2wd. The only places I had to use 4wd was going through ditches where the suspension lifts a rear tire off the ground. Just as long as you have some kind of bottom they do great, being narrow and aggresive you can dig down very fast, throttle control is key. Sorry for no pics I forget the camera in the pickup but I plan on going back to the same place soon.

26. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

How many ply? Whats they load rating? What max psi?

27. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

4PR, 590 lbs max load, six inches wide, 22.70 diameter. I don't know the maximum air pressure.

Sam

28. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

26psi max cold

29. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

update

I did have one tire that was not holding air so I took it off and found a long slice or straight line crack in it about 6 inches long along the lip of the rim.I am sure it happened when I was mounting them or when I was running them with lower psi, or it could just be a faulty tire, Probably never know. I do not think it was any trail hazard, I took it to les schwab and they said it would be covered under warranty but they are not selling them anymore. Plenty of stores had some in stock so thats not a problem but he said they are not selling enough of them to keep getting them in but the 6-12 are still in production so once schwabs runs out I will have to find another dealer. They said they have another tire that looks exactly like the nanco 6-12 but it was about $25 more per tire. This is the first problem that I have had but it could have been my fault.Just wanted you guy's to know.

30. countryrebel

countryrebel Member

Update, The nanco's did really good in the snow the other day. The snow was pretty sticky and was in some places 2 feet or more. I found one spot that had old watered down crunchy snow under the fresh stuff and once the tires broke through we were stuck. They seem to do a good job of digging in and finding traction and being narrow they slice through the snow good. A guy just has to remember when they start to dig they dig fast so not much flotation. Every snow condition is different but so far I was really impressed of where I could go even when pushing snow out front and dragging underneath. Just used the winch on the grizzly 450 and it pulled it right out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stuck[​IMG]
    [​IMG]