1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New MN ATV Regs allow mini trucks

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Ironraven, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

OK, so this is a new one in Minnesota. Formerly ATV's were limited to smaller engines and less dry weight... but now it's been increased to the point where it will allow for mini trucks to be registered as Class 2 ATV's. A Class 2 license allows for driving on the shoulder of any non-highway road without further licensing:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/ohv/ohv_regs.pdf

Class 2 ATVs are motorized flotation-tired vehicles with at least
    three, but no more than six, low pressure tires that have an engine
    displacement of less than 960 cubic centimeters and total dry weight of
    900 to 1,500 pounds.
    Dry weight is normally the weight of the vehicle without fluids.

Public use registration allows for the operation of Class 2 ATVs on the
    shoulder or extreme right side of county roads and on the right side of
    township roads and city streets, if not prohibited by the road authority or
    other local laws. Class 2 ATVs may not be operated in the ditch unless
    part of a designated Class 2 trail. A public/recreational use registration is valid for three years.

This is good news because it means once I get things cleared for operation in the City of Duluth I won't need to bother with getting them cleared out in the county, or if I fail to get them cleared out in the county it won't be as big of a deal. I'm OK with driving on the shoulder... I'd rather drive on the road but it's all good as far as I'm concerned; being able to drive it at all is what matters the most.

2. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

after all this research/discussing and posting All you have to do now is Buy1 with this good news in hand!:eek:

To all the rest of the guys n gal's up there in Minnesota that have one
    u have Freedom from the fields at last

3. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Hells bells, as soon as I get the Duluth legislation passed I'm totally buying one. Since I need to be able to drive in the city for my job the only thing standing between me and purchasing a mini truck is the ordinance I'm working on getting passed right now. :pop: With any luck by spring I'll be driving a certain 99 Daihatsu I spotted f/s recently :D

4. o8k

o8k Member

Well done! IronRaven...

5. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Well it wasn't my doing... but that won't keep me from taking advantage of it! ^_^

6. MiniMike

MiniMike New Member

Is the ordinance still in effect? Wondering as I am working with Pine County MN to pass a mini truck ordinance.