1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new mini

Discussion in 'Mazda Scrum' started by firejonny89, Feb 16, 2011.

1. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

i got a mini last sunday ill get pixs tomorrow after i go to town to get light bulbs for it its a 1998 mazda 5 speed plus el and axle lock and ac but i was lookin for something these guys http://usedminitrucks.com/upgrades/ have a sticker for 2001 - 2011 suzuki i think but wat about a 1998 would it fit or do u know where i could get one from thanks.

2. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

ok i got some pictures to put up now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. nice truck - thank you for posting some pics :O)

4. miniman

miniman Member

Very clean truck!!! Nice buy!

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

nice truck..congrats..welcome to the craziness:)

6. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

craziness is so right i already have a list of stuff to do befor next winter its getting a lil long to be done by then but we will see ill post pixs one each step thanks guys

7. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

hey guys got a question or two for ya. i had an old car radio layin around and could not get the mini to power it idk i know i had the wire hooked right i checked it three times i even ran a temp. ground to the battery and could not get the radio to power off the radio wiring harn.. could it be that the stock wires are just not having enough power for this radio? and after that i noticed when i hit the brakes the high bean light in the dash comes on but not the head lights when u turn on the lights it wont happen just when they r off the dash says my high beams r on when u hit the brakes any clue to y thanks

8. Hey Jon,

Funny things happen when you wire a new radio into a mini truck, I think everyone on here has had unusual things start happening after a new radio was installed.

9. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

highbeams on dash means something wired wrong. search the forum for radio install help. they are quite tricky. prob best to run a wire from cigret lighter to radio and find a switching wire and ground it to the truck frame.

that or i think they might be positive grounded or something like that (the radio)

10. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

you need to re check your wiring. you probably wired into the illumination circuit and used it for ground or something. Somtimes this circuit shows ground when the lights are turned off but when you turn them on.... funny things happen!

11. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

beings the radio would not come on with the stock wires i just unhooked it wires r capped and there was a black wire that was hook to the frame of the old radio so i put it on the frame of the new one thats the only stock wire touching anything on the radio and its hook just like befor. so idk guess i could unhook that one and hope its it lol thanks guys any other ideal and i have no cig. lighter on this thing. have not looked for wires for one but if its there they never punched out the opening lol

12. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

i unhook all wires still happens so i guess ill do some lookin later thanks

13. greg0187

Disconnect everything... Verify everything works as before. If it does then connect a volt meter between the +12v and your ground you are using. Then press the brakes, turn on the lights, etc... See if the voltmeter changes. If it does then there is your problem. If not its one of your other wires. Start connecting one at a time and see what causes the issue ro return.

14. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

happens even with all wires unhook so ill look for it later this years its chilly today and so wet we had 2 inches in two days so i can move it lol

15. greg0187

Ok. 99% of the time this is caused by a fault in the illumination wire (the one that makes the lights on the radio turn on when your lights are on) it will appear as ground with lts off and +12 with lights on. Good luck and post your findings.

16. greg0187

also check for blown fuses

17. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

The most common mistake is to improperly ground the radio. There's a wire that is supposed to be the "constant on" wire which will save your quicksets on your radio that many people think is the ground wire. When you hook that puppy up to the ground on your radio it'll blow fuses with the quickness and your radio won't work properly. Ground your new radio directly to the frame somewhere and you should be fine.

18. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

still no real luck with my radio i had it power on one time the hard wire the pos side and then no go :frustration: . so i took off the wire ill deal with it later. i did get a small speaker box made for in front of the shifter looks good still need to mount the speakers and wire but with not radio no hurry.:pop: the high bean light on the dash most have been something to do with my brake marker light fuse bein bad put new in and all was good.:D the good/ bad news was i got my new springs for the front 10" 250. i tried puting in the driver side (rhd) no luck took two hours and then an other hour to put stock back on :frustration:. taking to the local fix it shop he has something for struts and thinks he can change then beings its so small no prob. so i got the off the truck hope he can change then out for me.:frustration: :confused: sorry for the long message

19. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

have you checked the fuse on the radio itself?? most head units have a built in fuse now...

20. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I had a little trouble with my springs too. Did you make sure the shock was completely extended when you were putting the spring on? My shocks are on their way out and would settle a bit when I wasn't paying attention... took me 4 hours to get the first one on but the second to me 15 minutes!

21. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

on the radio yes i checked if u up the radio wires to the battery it self it starts right up no problem just when i hard wire it no luck on well ill do it later tired of messin with it might just get a diff. smaller radio but on the springs yes i did try to extend them but i still could not get the but the local fix it shop did both in 30 mins i took them off and took them to him. :D but he said he had a hard time i think he forgot to extend them but he got it so its all good but i forgot to messure befor i put them on so i have no clue how much i gained. anyone have any clue what the stock would be from the ground to the mid. wheel well?

22. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

a few more pixs first off the tach i have yay seems odd running at 2500 till it starts to warm but till have not seen less than 1000-1100 so ill need to play with the carb or have a buddy do it lol sorry pix time [​IMG]
    the cheap speaker box with the speaker just sat in [​IMG]
    and two pixs of the new springs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] sorry for the crapy pix was to lazy to come in to get the camera and used the old cell phone.

23. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

fond some good flat bar and mad 1.5 inch long rear shackles might have to do a full 2 inch to match bigger springs up from (250 on a 1998 i know i know thats stiff for a 98 ill be putting a heavy bumper right after i get tires) but i dont think i gained the full amount i wanted with 1.5 inch ones oh well only took me a hour or so messing around to make them and i got tires ordered be next week befor i see them but they have been ordered lol yay

24. greg0187

cool! you need to double the added length to the shackle for the lift you want. i.e. 2" longer shackle will give 1" of lift.

25. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    got my new tires on

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011
  26. Daner

Daner Member

Be careful with those knobby tires if they are too wide you can say goodbye to your side mirrors. Nice rims!!!:D

27. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

yes yes i could the side mirror re for sure goona go with these they stick out a good inch so ill just have to take it easy till i get some flares or something lol and the rims r nice

28. Daner

Daner Member

Gotta love spammers... not

29. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

i lol how the urls get redirected here :p

30. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

ok next thing that i most have is a lift the tire rub in hard turn and its getting on my nurvs lol and thats befor a plow so who know where i can get a good lift that will work and maybe one that has wat ever it takes to realine the front tires so they r not bowed out or in or wat ever u want to call it