1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New front bumper

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by DD51T, Nov 4, 2013.

1. DD51T

DD51T New Member

A few pictures of the new front bumper I built.

It looks rather heavy but is mostly built out of 14 gauge steel.
    The vertical plates are 1/4" salvaged from an old existing bumper...(just cut down and modified a little)

It has a 4500 lb winch built in as well as a receiver tube/hitch.

Everything was then powder coated semi gloss black.

I think for a first attempt it came out rather well.

Attached Files:

2. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Very nice. I just got mine done as well. But.......mine IS heavy Hahaha ⅜ thick plate steel. No vents yet. Haven't needed them. Going to pit em in after winter though!!! Looks good bud

3. siberhusky0

siberhusky0 New Member

Bumper looks great, follows the contour of the nose perfectly.

4. Machster50

Machster50 New Member

you should start production!

5. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

I agree.....start punching em out!!! I'll buy my next one instead Of building one hahaha

6. DD51T

DD51T New Member

I would love to but.......
    The front bumpers are the hardest to fabricate ( finding somewhere to mount it!!!) and at times a true PITA.
    I'm currently working on making some side storage boxes out of aluminum, just to try and keep the weight down.
    I will upload pictures of them once complete.

These little trucks are so much fun!!! I still have a few more projects in mind.
    Hopefully I will get to painting it over the Christmas/New Years break.

7. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Did you use the door hinge mount for part of your bumper too? I have 14 places I bolted mine to the cab.......not including the stuff under it!! Hahaha.

8. DD51T

DD51T New Member

No I never thought to use those.
    I have 8 spots... but wish I could have had something a little more substantial, considering the potential use of the winch.
    There just isn't too much to use on the front of these trucks!!!!!
    I intend fabricating a skid plate at some point and may use it to transfer some of the load to help the bumper mounts out.

9. bannock

bannock Member

that looks great! i'm thinking i should do something like this to my bumper as its cracked up and currently being held together in some places by glue....

10. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

I reinforced the radius arm mounts with ⅜" plate. Fits perfect inside the factory bends. Welded all around. Front and back of the mounts. Then used 2x4 channel and ran it for word to the bumper. Then fit my plow bracket to those. Drilled and tapped so I could bolt to them. Then viola skid plate/lower bumper mount!!

11. DD51T

DD51T New Member

Thanks Moose

I will have to look at doing something like that in the future but first have to finish building and mounting the under bed storage boxes.

I will post pictures when I am a little further along.

12. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

You gott'a be proud of that..:cool:

Too bad vendors don't offer anything of that quality. Be flying off the shelves. Instead, they offer a SP wrench for $100 bucks...sad really, (shaking head)

13. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Someone has some serious skills. That looks fabulous!!!!

14. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

I'd pay some serious money for something that good lookin'! Quality work.

15. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Very nice ..you could definately sell those :)

16. DD51T

DD51T New Member

Hi guys ...I know the initial thread was about the front bumper but I mentioned about building some under box storage boxes and painting the truck.

So this is just a quick update with some pictures.

The boxes were fabricated from 1/16 aluminum with drop down checker doors. The pas side was reinforced to hold the battery and also has a first aid kit.
    I also painted the entire truck with a earthy tan of tremclad metal paint.The decals on the tail-gate were made by a friend I think it turned out ok.

These little trucks are so much fun.....now I can start planning my next mods.
    View attachment 13055 View attachment 13056 View attachment 13057 View attachment 13058 View attachment 13059

17. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hey DD51T!

Dying to see your under bed storage boxes but I'm not having any luck opening the attachment. I think that has been an issue lately on the forum.

18. DD51T

DD51T New Member

Under box storage (repost)

Hi guys ...I know the initial thread was about the front bumper but I mentioned about building some under box storage boxes and painting the truck.

This post seemed to work because the pictures showed up as thumbnails

The boxes were fabricated from 1/16 aluminum with drop down checker doors. The pas side was reinforced to hold the battery and also has a first aid kit.
    I also painted the entire truck with a earthy tan of tremclad metal paint.The decals on the tail-gate were made by a friend I think it turned out ok.

These little trucks are so much fun.....now I can start planning my next mods.

Attached Files:

19. Rednecknutcase

Rednecknutcase New Member

Very nice! Best I've seen. I think I'll try to build something similar.

20. DD51T

DD51T New Member

Hey Red thanks for the kind words, which build would you be undertaking?...the bumper or storage boxes? I have since built a roof rack for the spare tire which turned out fantastic.
    I will try to get some pictures uploaded soon.

21. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

WOW, great job. Those are really nice.

22. DD51T

DD51T New Member

IMG_3612.JPG Well guys,

It's been a while .....but I did get the roof rack made several months ago and am only now getting the chance to get some pictures uploaded.

It was made out of aluminum tube, flat bar and expanded mesh to keep the weight down. The attach brackets were made of stainless steel for strength and everything was was painted with a black rubberized rocker panel paint for durability.
    View attachment 13594 IMG_3615.JPG IMG_3613.JPG IMG_3616.JPG
    IMG_3614.JPG

23. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Its not near the bumper that DD51T built and I know the welds arent perfect but they will work plus Rhino line covers up a lot. All I have to do is fill in the rest of gaps.
    This bumper came out of four that I bought at a used equipment sale. It came off a Ford Crown Vic. X law enforcement vehicle. I think I paid 35.00 for all four.
    Right inside of the two tow hooks is a flat spot about 3" long. A 2" pcs. of angle iron fits perfect. Thats where my start was.
    Any way here's my first front bumper build.
    The end result will be a new desert Paint Job and Rhino line the bumper and white area behind bumper.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  24. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

That looks fabulous! Before I lifted my truck real high I wanted to do the exact same thing.