1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New carb different from old one...ok, I'm confused (S83p)

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by JMM, Apr 17, 2020.

1. JMM

JMM Member

Just received my new (reman) carb from Yokahama motors. I provided them with the VIN and tag number off the carb to match, but what came in the box is different than the original.

You can see the new and old carbs in the photos below.
    • New one has a two-wire solenoid
    • And what is this additional setup on the right? Something for EGR?
    Seems to me I can fairly easily replace the cover assembly from the old bowl and use the old solenoid, but...boy, I'd rather ask you guys first. If this is EGR plumbing, can it be safely plugged and still run properly?

Anyone had this issue?

Original Carb:
    20200417_151631_old.jpg

New Carb:

20200417_151625_new.jpg

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

JMM,
    I wish I could help you. Can you contact them, and talk to a service rep? I couldn't find a 2 wire solenoid for mine, so I replaced the carb. with a reman. also. Now I have a manual choke!
    Limestone

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I would say it is a pcv valve with a vacuum actuator. You could try just capping it, if all the rest of the carb is right. And, if you have pcv you could re-plumb it to there, instead of direct to the manifold.

The vacuum actuated valve prevents the pcv from getting bad air into the intake when the vacuum is low, and you can’t burn the hydrocarbons coming out of the crankcase efficiently.

4. JMM

JMM Member

Thanks guys, but in this case I've reverted to the original carb and my mechanic has done some essential tweaking and re-rebuilding (thank god he used to work for Toyota). I don't think Yokahama will take returns on carbs, so this one may be for sale here very soon.

5. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

They did this this to me too , sent one back ($90+ for shipping ) and still sent me a closer to the OG but still the wrong one plus the choke linkage was sticking and I had to clean .
    I ended up just getting a ultrasonic cleaner , 2 gallons of carb cleaner , all OEM gaskets . Rebuilt it myself and still spent less then the “factory rebuild unit “ I got from Japan .

6. ttc

ttc Active Member

The rebuild kits for the 80 series trucks are not to spendy. Cheaper then a couple 100 dollar new carb