1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New British Member

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bobbycamper, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Bobbycamper

Bobbycamper New Member

Hi guys
    I'm Bob from the UK so not sure if this is the right forum to be on. I am thinking of buying a Suzuki Carry but have reservations. Do you have to be a enthusiast/mechanic to own one of these? You all seem to be trying to find parts, refurbishing, or discussing how to repair them. I am not mechanically minded so all repairs would have to be by my local garage. Bearing this in mind will i be buying a truck that will be constantly off the road trying to source spare parts and getting it repaired? There are now more of these trucks on ebay in the UK than ever before but how easy is it to acquire spares? Does Daihatsu UK supply them. How many satisfied owners are there in the UK. As you can tell i am being very cautious, If anyone can point me in the right direction on advice it would be much appreciated.

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Bob,
    Welcome! Go talk to your mechanic, and get his opinion, and what he thinks! Yeah, like all vehicles, their are maintenance issues, and sometimes parts for older, certain models are pricey, if you can even find them! You might want to look for a new as possible vehicle if you can find one! Depending on your tastes! Some of us are hobbyist's, others use them everyday, but most of us do a lot of are own work on these! Good Luck!
    Limestone

3. installater

installater Active Member

Bob hope things are going well over there that being said in the UK these trucks are badged under Bedford Rascal with slightly
    larger engines there are some parts interchangeable Check out UK forum sites, don't know them but start with Bedford Rascal in your searches
    Cheers Mate
    Brian

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

I’d say start at Wikipedia and read the base articles on the various little trucks, and the various names they were sold under. And, then talk to your mechanic. The fact that there actual versions made for the European market, relatively recently, you shouldn’t have the issue many of us in North America have trying to find parts for trucks that were never sold here, and are twenty five years old, or older.

For example, the Daihatsu Hijet, was produced under license by Piaggio as the Porter, in an array of engines. And, I look for parts for my Hijet on eBay, with the location set to world wide, with Piaggio porter as the search string.

5. Bobbycamper

Bobbycamper New Member

Thanks for your input. I will have a look on Wikapedia. I was hoping that there would be one or two British members to recall their experiences with getting parts as i don't want to end up with a truck that at the first problem it's off the road. If i speak to importers they are going to tell me what i want to hear, so personal recommendations would be great. When you receive an imported truck do they come with a owners manual of the type of engine installed?
    Bob

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

My thought that most of the Japanese Domestic Market trucks were sold in other markets under different names. And, if you checked on parts availability for those models, with a local parts supplier, you could get a feel for what ones they can get parts for the easiest. Many of the 1-liter versions sold in the UK and EU have almost 100% crossover to the 660-cc versions sold in Japan, as they are the same block. And, worse case scenario you could swap in the 1-liter engine if the 660-cc went bad.

7. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Bobby,
    Their have been several people on here in the past from the UK! You can either wait and see who answers, but if it were me, I would take a few minutes and search the members list, by clicking on their name, and go to their profile, and it will tell you, where their from, Don't forget to check an see when their last visit was, some of these are older, and they don't come back on for various reasons! Or, maybe contact a Moderator, and he can give you a list of the people from the UK! Or try the search button and see if it will tell you, who is from the UK! So you have options my friend! Good Luck!
    Limestone

8. Matthew Wheeler

Matthew Wheeler New Member

Another new UK member here, im also looking to get a kei truck so if you do end up getting it would be great if you could share the experience you have and who use for spare parts, insurance etc

9. installater

installater Active Member

Matthew you might try searching in the UK for Bedford Rascals & a Bedford Rascals forum and I do believe the engines are mostly 4cyl
    Not knowing your use for the truck they have a Super Carry Van over there if your looking for more interior space
    Regards
    Brian

10. Michael Dunn

Michael Dunn New Member

I'm in the UK, and had a Carry for 18 months now.
    I joined this forum about 2 years ago, but have never been able to post until today!!!