1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and needing some help deciding

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by duckandbuck, Mar 27, 2011.

1. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

Hey im new to the mini truck community and im trying to break into it with a truck of my own. I need some help and some of your knowledge to help me make a decision for my mini truck. Here is my delema, their are two trucks in which two people are willing to do a straight up trade for my atv cause they can get more use out of it and i can get more use out of a mini truck.

One is a Mazda Scrum, the guy said it was an 81?? but ive never seen an 81. It has 90,000 Kilos on it and is stock everything.

The other is a Suzuki Carry and is a 97 or 98 and it has a 2 inch lift, atv tires on it, a winch and front bumper, and gun racks. But it as over 150,000 kilos on it.

I under stand these two trucks are very compatable. My primary use for the truck is hunting and farm work.

So thoughts, opinions, and any advice would be appreciated.

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Without seeing them I would go for the Suzuki..they may be made by the same company but finding parts for a 1981 would be murder...even with the higher KMs I would go for it.

3. longview

longview Member

Suzuki

as fuba said parts issues would be a big concern also if you were interested in some of the upgrades .. they are already completed on the Suzuki..

4. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

How would you go about cleaning the carb. The Suzuki needs cleaned but it runs and drives ok. Is there an additive I can use or do I need to take it off to clean?

5. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

6. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

The 81 model would scare me to death if in fact its a 81. I doubt its a 81. Never seen a truck that old in the USA not sure about CA. 87/88 yea, but nothing past that. Look at the seat belt tags for year model. It will get you to one or two yrs of when it was made. In any case Suz. makes both trucks.
    The 150k truck. Chances are its had some work. If it sounds good, shift good and a nonsmoker I'd look at it . If it needs a carb kit they are not that bad. The biggest thing is making sure the vacuum lines get hooked back up right. Pretty simple to remove and rebuild, its the lines that will eyes cross. You might as well plan on replacing some of the vacuum lines. If I can do it anybody can.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  7. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

So I need to go after the suzuki

8. TRAX and HORNS

Is there a number $$ on the Suz?

9. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

I dont understand what your asking Trax

10. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

He's asking how much they want you to pay for it.

11. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

It's a straight trade, my atv for his truck

12. TRAX and HORNS

What kind of atv do you have? Year model? Make/Model? 4x4?

13. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

04 yamaha big bear 400 4x4

14. TRAX and HORNS

I think that would be good trade for the Suz.
    Low book is around 1400 / High book in really nice condition 2400 on your Big Bear in my area(Austin,Tx).

15. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

find out the year on the mazda. check the seatbelt tags.

also make sure you test drive and fit the trucks first lol

16. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

It drove really well, The mazda is 3 hours away from where I am, and hesaid it was an 81, where the suz is only thirty minutes away.

17. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

Here is a picture of the suz in the thumbnail

How high of a lift do you think it has?? I guy thats wanting to trade says its like 2 1/4 inches.

No the tire isnt flat when i drove it lol

18. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

Ok here it is oops sorry lol

Attached Files:

19. TRAX and HORNS

If you dont pull the trigger let me know where its at. Looks like South Texas or NM.
    I'd say close to a 2" lift. Dont want to go any higher.
    Terry Bearden
    dba TB Tractors/Trax and Horns Mini Trucks
    Austin,Tx
    512-217-7456

20. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

vacuum leaks are 85% of carb and idling problems, use a vacuum gauge or carb cleaner, carb cleaner will send the engine to high idle if you have a vacuum leak, make sure the vacuum port in the air cleaner canister is working properly, also check that your vacuum advance hose isn’t cracked coming off the distributor to the vacuum manifold tree. The vacuum manifold tree is brass on the bottom to go in to the block and plastic on top. Plastic wears out with time and will break or leak, which causes a vacuum leak. Some manifold vacuum trees are 3 or 4 port, make sure to replace it with a new one. When I buy parts I buy 3 at a time that way I have them on hand or in case they can’t get them any more. The vacuum manifold tree is located behind the carb. If you looking at the carb from the right side of the bed, it will be to your 1 O’clock tucked down inside. Remember to use a marker or different colored tape to mark the vacuum lines so you know where everything goes back too! Good luck!’:cool: