1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

national map showing where kei's are legal...

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by draggbody, Jan 13, 2010.

1. draggbody

draggbody Member

2. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

yeah...strange that AZ is a no-law sate, sent them the memo, pointed out that they are on the roads and included a picture of mine licensed and i got this:frustration:... oh well we must be invisible But Legal!

Laurel Sims to me
    show details 11/9/09
    Hello KD…

Thank you for contacting us regarding the use of minitrucks on the roads of Arizona. I have followed up on your suggestion that minitrucks may now use the public roads of Arizona. According to the Arizona DOT:

These mini trucks are considered All Terrain Vehicles (ATV) and will be titled as an ATV in Arizona. ATVs do not meet the federal safety requirements, therefore cannot be lawfully operated on Arizona public roads. An owner may register their ATV (mini truck) for lawful operation on public roads only if the owner makes the modifications needed to meet the federal safety requirements for that vehicle and certifies that on the appropriate Highway Use Certificate. Even if the vehicle is converted for highway use, the body type will remain as an ATV for titling purposes.

We have made the determination that Arizona does not qualify as a state with a law regulating the use of minitrucks on the public roads. Rather, Arizona is a state that is described in the last paragraph of our chart:

The table below describes state laws that specifically address the use of minitrucks on public roads. In states without those laws, there may be provisions in other state laws, such as those permitting incidental use of off-road vehicles on public roads, that allow the limited use of minitrucks on public roads.

I am open to any dialogue that you have on the issue of minitrucks in Arizona. Again, thank you for your suggestion.

Laurel Sims

Laurel B. Sims
    Legal Assistant
    Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
    1005 N. Glebe Road
    Arlington, Virginia 22201
    Phone 703-247-1527
    Fax 703-247-1678
    lsims@iihs.org
    www.iihs.org

3. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

so you might have stirred the pot?

4. o8k

o8k Member

Based on the problems Ironraven is having in MN getting his on the road so to speak, i find the map markings rediculous!!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. o8k

o8k Member

I find the quoted statment to be incorrect, and certainly wasnt my experience w/ the AZ MVD...
    So no one gets confused, please just read the memo. Granted it could be written more clearly, but it wasnt. And if you read carfully, It does NOT work exactly the way this guy says...

There are 3 states of operation mentioned in this memo (and this guy only speaks to TWO of them).
    1. Off-highway only
    2. On-highway <-- this is what this guy is talking about (quoted above)
    3. Occational on-road use <--this is the state this guy confuses w/ the one above. which clearly states that on-highway form #96-0371
    and DOT compliance are NOT REQUIRED. Ugh.... :frustration:

6. o8k

o8k Member

This statement is my opinion....

States only have to apply/enforce federal road regulations, to roads that Federal dollars paid for. The roads the state pays for are not within federal jurisdiction. Which is the very reason in the first place that some states allow them on the road and others don’t. Which is why a state can allow or dis-allow a non DOT certified vehicle to drive on non-federally funded roads. If it all was truly was up to federal law, then the entire country would have a binary outcome (YES/NO) and there would be no need for that map in the first place.
    grrrr…

7. o8k

o8k Member

Please excuse my recent editing of the above posts... I had to back them off a bit to ensure compliance w/ the membership agreements of this forum... Thankyou for your understanding...

o8k

8. draggbody

draggbody Member

wow... i surely didnt want this to piss people off... i dont drive my truck on road, so im not up on the legalities and just thought this would be helpful...

Acerguy likes this.
  9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting it! I find it interesting to see who has minitrucks on their radar. :pop:

10. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Yep, I 2nd that. Thanks for the info.

11. o8k

o8k Member

For clarification, you didnt upset me. Peace man! Good post!

12. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

I think you are 100% correct on your statement. Because here in SD where we can legally drive them, we can't drive them on the interstate system, which would be federally funded.

13. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

What I like about this website is the table:

http://www.iihs.org/laws/minitrucks.aspx

It shows just how many states allow trucks to be driven in excess of 25 mph... which leads me to believe the EPA speed limiting devices only apply when on Interstate highways. As others have mentioned. Very cool :)

14. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol i think buddy (map maker) is kinda out to lunch and doesn't know/see the full story as well as we do.

15. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Well, I don't think he's put a whole lot of time into anything other than cataloging where they have the potential of being used on the road.

16. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i tried 6 or 7 MVD's in and around phoenix to get mine registered with no luck. shortly after i sold mine about a year ago, they allowed them on the road. first you must register it as an ATV. once it has been registered as an ATV and you get the RV plates for it you can fill out another form that requires no vehicle inspection stating you have all the required road necessities like headlights, windshields and turn signals. then you will get real street legal plates.

btw, 08k... one of your buddies from the lost kj club came by the shop the other day to have some rock sliders built... small world, isn't it?

17. o8k

o8k Member

Hehehe, cool... If it's who im thinking of, he lives over in Tolleson, not too far from us! (Drives a CRD liberty, like i once had).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010