1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MY95 - MINICAB - Q/A

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by marcoi, Jun 30, 2021.

1. marcoi

marcoi New Member

Hi Everyone,

New to the forums. I just got a new to me MY95 Minicab. Specs in signature.
    Quick pic of the mini
    mini1.jpg

So far it drives well. It engages 4wd and disengages as well. Reverse works lol. The lights all seem to work well. There a few spots of rust. I haven't had time to really look it over or wash it since its been raining down here in FL.

I am doing my research by searching but have a hard time finding right answers so i figured i just start a thread and post my questions here and hopefully get some answers. Maybe eventually the thread will help others as there seems to be a good influx of minis coming into the states now.

Questions asked 6-30-21:
    Q. What companies will insure the mini? Let me know who else might insure it. I live in FL for reference.
    A. I know Hagerty will but they have rules like keeping it garaged or in a carport, etc.
    A. Geico will not insure it lol.

Q. How do i get replacement tires for stock rim?
    I want to replace the stock tires, the ones on it are old and seem unsafe. I don't have plans to mod the truck right now, so i want to get stock tire replacement. Seems like 145/r12 is listed which seems to relate to 145/80r12. I cant find tires in that size that are normal street tires. Closes i can find are 155/80r12. Brand and model so far i found are NANKANG CX-668 155/80R12 77T for about 51 each.
    Pic of current tire.
    20210630_092940.jpg

Q. Is there anything i should immediately check on before getting it registered/insured to drive on local roads?
    IE check oil as it maybe old, etc.

Q. Does anyone know if you can use quickjack on the mini trucks? I plan on checking soon when i can get the tires.

Last Updated -7-01-21:
    Q: How many of these mini come with Power Steering? I don't think mine has it. How can I double check?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

MY,
    Nice job on the Signature, right off the bat for a first time poster!
    I'm sure some Mitsi, owners will chime in and answer your questions!
    Welcome, and Good Luck!
    Limestone

marcoi likes this.
  3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

The 155/80R12 tires are what I went with on my carry. Next size up plus stiffer sidewall of 8 ply rating gives a small gain in rolling diameter without much torque loss.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  4. marcoi

marcoi New Member

Thank you Fred - I am going to see if i can find the tires locally first and if not then ill just order them online. Do you recall a recommend PSI for front and rear for the larger size tires?

5. Limestone

Not to jump Fred, but it should be Spec's on the sidewall of the tire from the Manufacture.
    Limestone

6. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Don't be concerned on my part, I only log in for a bit each day in the morning which would be evening/night in your part of this rock. Rated at 1265 lbs @ 65 MAX PSI, I run 40 PSI all around on my van. The brand is TORQUE, probably not available in the states.

Fred

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Limestone likes this.
  7. icarusjapan

icarusjapan New Member

i'm in Pinellas county Florida and Progressive insured mine. I just had to call them.

8. marcoi

marcoi New Member

Thanks i will check them out. i also have my main car up for renewal so see what they say about both.

Progressive transferred me to hagerty which i originally started with.

Im working on getting the mini to fit in the garage so i can insure with hagerty.

I also have the mini for sale in CL on the high side but if someone offers to buy it then i wont need to redo my garage lol.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  9. marcoi

marcoi New Member

Any issues starting to roll from 2nd gear in these trucks? I know it can do it as i tried it but i dont know if it cause problems down the line. First is super short and by the time im rolling a few mph i already have to shift.

10. Limestone

Naw, I do it a lot, don't let the clutch slip!
    If you have any issues, stay with first!
    If your on smooth hard pavement, especially, drifting down hill, let's say slightly, go for it!
    No Problems!
    Limestone

11. marcoi

marcoi New Member

Sweet, most of the roads in FL are flat so 2nd gear launches will be great.

12. Arty

Arty Active Member

I use 2nd gear all the time, except if it's an up-hill start (or, of course pulling something).

Limestone likes this.
  13. Donald McRonald

Donald McRonald New Member

I've just picked up a JDM '95 Minicab Van, 4WD, U42V. I'm a very new mechanic but want to do some maintenance on this thing. However I can't figure out if there is a fuel filter that needs replaced or not. Did any of those models come carbureted or are they all EFI?.

I'm gonna apologize in advance if that is a real dumb question. Thanks everyone.