1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My tire woes

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by darisb, Nov 1, 2016.

1. darisb

darisb Member

I have a basically stock 1990 S83p, with a three way dump. I installed Afco 250 lb springs. I like the ride height on the front after the springs were installed. Before the springs, the front was lower than the back. After the springs, the back is about two inches lower then the front. I decided to leave it until I installed tires.

I finally bought a set of Carlisle All Trails (23 x 8 x 12). I installed the tires on the stock rims. The tires stick out about 1/2" - 1" past the cab. I noticed that the left front tire is rubbing on the spring and it is very close to the front of the wheel well. The right front tire clears the spring, but only because it's orientated so that the nubs pass between a the coils.

I don't want the tires sticking out of the front wheels wells too much, because I'm afraid a good hard bump will put the tires in contact with the wheel wells and the doors. I ordered some 1/2" wheel spacers. I'm hoping that will give me enough clearance with the springs. I will crawl under the truck this weekend and see if I can adjust the left lower control arm back about one inch.

Lifting the truck is always an option. The back needs to come up about two inches. If everything worked out, I was planning on making some shackles for the back. My wife uses the truck to haul hay. If it gets much taller, she going to have trouble throwing bales in the back.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  2. ttc

ttc Active Member

seems strange that there is such an issue with only the left tire. if you put the monroe shocks on the back the gas charge will actually lift the back up a bit.

3. darisb

darisb Member

The rub has more to do with the spring orientation. On the right side the tire nobs slip between two coils. On the left side, the nobs line up with one of the coil. If the springs were tubes, the tires would rub on both sides.

4. darisb

darisb Member

I received the replacement tire yesterday. The bead looked normal on this one. I took it over to the tire shop on my way to work this morning, and they mounted it right away for free! When I got to work I checked the USPS tracking on the wheel spacers that I ordered from eBay last Saturday. The seller printed the shipping label on Wednesday, but as of this morning the Post Office has not received the package from the eBay seller.

5. darisb

darisb Member

After 2 1/2 weeks I finally received the 1/2" spacers I bought on eBay. They work great, except the wheel studs are too short. Now I need to get the front drums off and have longer studs installed. I don't have a trailer and the cheap impact wrench I have does not have enough torque to get the castle nuts off. I thought about renting a trailer and taking it to a tire shop. I went to a tool shop and looked at impact wrenches. They had one with about 600# of torque, but I had accidentally left my wallet at home. The salesman recommended some rust penetrating liquid and told me to let it soak over night. The stuff actually worked and I was able to get the castle nuts off the front drums. The right drum looked good. The backing plate on the left wheel was saturated in brake fluid. Now I need to find some wheel cylinders or wheel cylinder rebuild kits, and pick up a set of brake shoes. I'm going to have longer studs installed in the front drums and put them back on. I will pull it apart and fix the brakes when the parts arrive.

6. darisb

darisb Member

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I took my Dorman 610-414 (http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=8114&SEName=610-414) wheel studs and front drums to the tire shop that mounted my tires. They pressed the studs into my drums for free. These should be just under 1/2" longer than the original studs. All I need to do is clean up the brakes, put the drums back on and adjust them. I will need to go back when I find wheel cylinders or wheel cylinder rebuild kits and fix the left side.

7. ttc

ttc Active Member

8. ttc

ttc Active Member

9. ttc

ttc Active Member

10. darisb

darisb Member

Nice. Thanks a lot. Are these fronts or rears or both? How many kits would I need per wheel?

11. ttc

ttc Active Member

That is just examples.. Get get the part numbers for your exact model

12. darisb

darisb Member

I see. I'll register with the site and see if I can locate what I need.

13. darisb

darisb Member

It's alive! I cleaned the left brake parts and drum really good with brake cleaner. and put everything back together temporarily. I was able to drive it for the first time in about a month. The wheel studs worked perfectly. With the 1/2" spacer installed, the studs are flush with the outside of the lug nuts.

Once I registered at IMPEX/PartsFan and I was able to figure out the part numbers for the items I needed. I ordered the a wheel cylinder rebuild kit and a set of brake shoes. I will pull it apart one more time when I receive the parts and go through the front brakes.

14. ttc

ttc Active Member

Great to hear, I have gotten a few things there and the prices have always been good

15. ttc

ttc Active Member

Just installed my vacuum swithches for diff lock. So glad to have it back.

16. darisb

darisb Member

And I'm down again. I received the brake cylinder rebuild kit and shoes. I took everything apart today. One of the brake cylinder pistons is frozen. I tried to loosen it by tapping it lightly and gently prying the ridge that the seal goes in, but it wouldn't budget. I eventually chipped the groove where the outer seal goes. I'm going to have to buy a new wheel cylinder. The other three were a mess. I think I can clean them up and installed the new seals. We have a bit of a hill going down from the house to the shop, and another smaller but steeper hill down to the horses. Hopefully the brakes will be better after the wheel cylinders are replaced and rebuilt.

17. darisb

darisb Member

I cleaned and rebuilt three of the wheel cylinders. I put the left side back together. I still need to torque the castle nut, adjust the shoes and bleed the brakes. The replacement wheel cylinder is on it's way from Japan. It should take about an hour to finish it when the wheel cylinder arrives.

18. darisb

darisb Member

I bled the front and rear brakes again and it stop great. The way it's been raining around here, my wife and I are really glad that it's usable again. That's for all the advice.