1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Subaru

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Ichabod, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

Here are some pics of my new Sambar. These are the photos from japan.

1990 Subaru Sambar Truck
    5 speed, Shiftable 4WD w/ ultralow, 52,000 Kms.

The dealer that imported it (www.japanoid.com) had the truck bed rhino coated before I picked it up. I have only had the truck about 2 weeks and here are my initial thoughts.

The gear box is REALLY short, 1st and 2nd are really short and I am into 5th at about 50 Kms/h.

The seats are not very comfortable for long trips. I will probably get an upholsterer to add some lumbar and side support to redone seats, unless I get creative and put in a nice suspension tractor seat. I am 5'9" and have the seat all the way back. I can't imagine being over 6 feet driving one of these.

Cost me $27 CAN to fill it up and I suspect I can go about 500 kms. I haven't filled it up enough to do the real mileage.

All in all I am pleased with it and would like to find a rear bumper/trailer hitch that still allows access to the engine. Any pics would be great.

Would also like to supercharge it as the same year vans come supercharged, but I believe these vans are EFI not carburetorated like mine....not sure how easy to swap it over. I have the japanoid mechanics looking into it.

Thanks
    Ichabod

Attached Files:

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Cool! Thanks for the info and pics! You're in Canada so you're driving it on the street right?

I would think that the supercharged ones are, indeed, EFI but I'm not positive about the earlier supercharged (pre-99) trucks. I'll be curious what Japanoid comes up with.

Did you post as erjames in the "other" minitruck forum? :) 'Cause I responded to a similar question there. You might try:

http://www.lonestarskysales.com/products/bumpers.html They specifically mention the Subaru but say it's "coming soon". Maybe "soon" has arrived?

http://www.ulmerfarmservice.com/otherstuff.htm#hitch has been mentioned on this forum before for bumpers. I've had some email contact with them and they seem professional.

Also, these guys are offering a FRONT receiver mount. Might be worth a try. http://www.minitruckimports.com/index.html

By the way, in my research I've found two trucks in Japan that have been "converted" to WRC rally specifications! :D

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/sambar_wrc/m/200706

http://mieprism.ddo.jp/samber/ (warning...obnoxious music on front page! :eek:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  3. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

Yes sir that was I! Thanks for the dual response. That rally version is pretty crazy. Would love to see it in action.

Ichabod

4. subiemech85

subiemech85 New Member

warning !!!!!!!! 16mb download for picture page
    and may become addicted :D

5. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

I'm confused? What's 16 meg?

6. Acerguy

I believe he's referring to the picture page from one of the "WRC" Sambar links I posted above. :p:D

7. Acerguy

Hey Ichabod, did you ever hear anything about this? :)

8. onegear

onegear New Member

I am very interested in the gas milage figures for the lower mainland, because am trying track down some acurate amount before I go to Japanoid and put a deposit on one.
    Hope the Sambar is treating you well.

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

I haven't had a chance to talk to them about it as I am in Fiji on holiday. Will post any results and more info on my mileage. The great thing about Japanoid is if you put the deposit down and decide to not purchase the truck you get the full deposit back no problem. Not many lower mainland importers will do this. I think it is in Japanoid's best interest to bring in the gems, as if the potential buyer chooses not to buy the truck they will not have any problems finding someone else.

Ichabod

10. Acerguy

What kind of excuse is that? ;)

J/K Have fun! :D

11. superchargedsambar

superchargedsambar New Member

Hi onegear, i just bought a 91 sambar from david jubb @ japanoid and i can tell u that the truck gets phenomenal gas mileage. I filled up for about 26 bucks and ran almost 500k! Good guys to deal with @ Japanoid! On another note...anyone out there that may help me find a clutch for my 91 sambar? Thanks:)

12. Acerguy

Welcome. So you got one of the elusive supercharged early trucks? Post some pics!!

13. swampfox

swampfox Member

Clutch for SUPERCHARGEDSAMBAR

They have em at www.minitrucksrus.com 877-420-3888. I checked this week. Last night I actually got lost (turned around) and was driving around through trails in the woods trying to get back on course--never happened till I was rescued and led back in. Anyway, I ran off in a deep rut with the right rear wheel way down and the left front wheel about 4 feet off the ground. I thought I was gonna roll. When my brother-in-law showed up on his 2wd 4 wheeler, we just hooked a strap to the left front, pulled that wheel down closer to the ground, and the little Sambar in super low pulled itself out like nothing was wrong. It was a long night. I strayed off into 5000 acres of International Paper Co. land. I have compasses and GPS's, and of course they were at home. I never could find the Big Dipper and North Star because of foliage--but that cell phone really saved the day.

14. superchargedsambar

Hi acer, you bet i'll post some pics,i'm just in the middle of mounting my salt speader and snow plow. Once i'm done i'll take some pic's. I never thought these trucks could be so quick! Goodtimes!

15. superchargedsambar

Hey everyone! So i think i got it figured out. I managed to mount a set of 180/70/14 2001 honda steel wheels onto my sambar. My next try will be a set of ASA alum. wheels 16 inch with some low pro rubber and see how that fits,they would be great on the hwy. Also a REAL lift kit would be nice for these trucks. Mabey a 6 inch? Give me some time and i will have a kit availiable with at least 4 inches and without too much modification. The problem is with the driveline angles. I'm in the middle of fabricating some A-arms for the front with alum. spacers for the drive shafts. It should work and give some more ground clearance and wheel travel! I'll post updates as i go!

16. Acerguy

Sounds neat! I was looking at my snow tires/wheels for my VW (195/55/15) thinking they would sure look cool on a mini truck!

17. superchargedsambar

yeah, those rims will work with some mods.you might want to come down on the width and profile if your trucks not liffted already.

18. stdavid

stdavid New Member

Hi
    I am in Victoria BC. I am in the process of buying a Sub from Todd at
    bcmini trucks. Call him and he can give you invaluable advice.
    1 250 882 1524.
    He has great experience and works and fixes them as well as sells all the mini brands.
    www.minitrucks.ca
    P.S. I have spoken with Derek at Japanoid and they seem very reputable as well.

Good luck and if you like email me and I will give you my ph. #.
    cheers from the Island
    David:)