1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Carry stalls when driving in rain

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by kargador, Apr 3, 2008.

1. kargador

kargador New Member

My car stalls when it rains. I was on a long trip to a major city, the car just hums along fine when the weather was sunny, it rained midway along the trip and the car started to hesitate then the engine died. I noticed that the fuel gauge needle was in the Full position even though I noted before that it was in the halfway mark. I opened the gas tank cap and air whooshed out. The car restarted and I finished the trip without further incident. It rained again on the return trip, same thing happened - car stalled, fuel gauge needle ran up to full, opened the gas tank cap, restarted the car.

For two weeks now, the same routine happens everytime it rains on the road.

The mechanic checked the distributor and parts of the engine, electricals, that could get wet or shorted but he found no problem.

what could be the cause and possible solutions?

Thanks for all inputs.

2. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

maybe a gas cap with a blow off valve:confused:

3. RICAHRDT

RICAHRDT Member

Now that's a first. That's weird as hell.

4. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

My first car used to stall out and run like crap but only when it rained, a new weber carbeutor fixed it.

5. Heiny57

Heiny57 New Member

If these have a charcoal canister with return air lines high humidity could plug the canister and create a vacuum to stop gas flow. Maybe????????????? or your listening to the wrong radio station

6. kargador

kargador New Member

the gas cap valve looks ok, could be a fuel pump problem?

:confused:

btw guys, im from the Philippines, kei cars like the Carry are allowed on our highways just like regular cars.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  7. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

I doubt it. i'm pretty sure these are engine driven fuel pumps and my experience proved that not to be the problem. Like i said before i am not sure about the gas tank thing but I had a vehicle that ran like crap only when it rained and i fixed it with a new carb. maybe you could rebuild the one you have,

8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

if air is whooshing out or in, i would bet on gas cap. the vent is clogged or not working so it is starving or flooding the poor engine.

9. kargador

kargador New Member

i drilled a little hole in the gas cap as a temporary solution and the problem never occurred again..

thanks guys :)

10. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Electric Pumps on every one we have had. (We do not do the 550's though, and I have never seen one up close)

When you turn on the key, do you hear a click-click-click from the back? Thats the electric pump.....

11. slimbad

slimbad Member

I have a 94 mits USDM lhd with a 3G81/550cc engine. The fuel pump is electric and located on the frame (right hand side of vehicle when sitting in it) approx. 18" forward of the tank. Brother-in-law has a 94 Cushman van it too has electric fuel pump. Don't think any of these have a mechanical/engine driven pump.........later, slim