1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Carry Project

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by WestEndAngler, Jun 26, 2013.

1. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

Thanks, she's getting up there now 9 year old English Lab but every time she hears the alarm at 0330 she flips it into a different gear.

Here's the truck crossing some small ruts with water near a gate out on the property. Nothing special but action shots are always fun and make good clips for a bigger video which is my plan...

[video=youtube;0jrutgqGQZ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jrutgqGQZ4[/video]

My buddy ordered the aluminum today and has the truck to fabricate everything. Conveniently / Unfortunately (however you want to look at it) I have other obligations this weekend which will keep me from helping. Personally, I'm hands on and would have loved to helped. Schedules did not work out. The whole rack with seats & basket weighs roughly 65lbs. I will have it powder coated a black crinkle finish that I like and she will finally be done! Just in time for big duck season too!

Hope to share more photos of the progress as I get them this weekend.

2. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

Little update here.

I picked up the rear rack for the suzuki today and delivered it to the powder coater. My buddy did a great job fabbing this rack he even added some beverage holders!

Up next are the seats and then she will be ready for the season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Looks good man. I bet it only adds about 80 pounds too. Very nice

4. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

You're probably not that far off. I don't think it hit 80 but over 60. I had to pick it up by myself yesterday to get it on the trailer and I'm feeling it today lol.

5. hatch

hatch Member

I agree with ol muddy, thats sweet. Hate to know what all that aluminum cost though

6. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

I think it was around $500 in materials. $150 to powder coat. Just for reference local boat builders and T Top builders quoted $2,500- 3,000 for this project. I came out way ahead as my buddy isn't charging me labor. Probably be another $150 for the vinyl seats and cushions from the upholstery shop.

7. hatch

hatch Member

WEA you have a nice looking vehicle and that rack adds a very nice touch. I want to see powder coat finish once your done.

that is somewhat the way I want mine to look when its finished.

8. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Very nice!!! sure puts money in your pocket when you can do a lot of the work yourself!!

9. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

I picked up the rack at the powder coater on Monday and seats were installed Friday and Saturday. She is now ready for duty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Lookin good!!!

11. hatch

hatch Member

I have to agree with the moose that looks awesome. I have a question though, where did you get your front fender flares? They look like factory

kountryboykrawler likes this.
  12. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

I bought them from one of the sponsors here I think MiniTruck.Ca? I'm not sure... When they arrived though they seemed like a universal box. I probably could have found a set at Wal-Mart or another off road provider here locally...

Amazon has something similar...

http://www.amazon.com/Pacer-Flexy-F...82650&sr=8-3&keywords=Universal+Fender+Flares

I was able to do all the fenders with 2 boxes so you can cut them fairly easy. The hard part was drilling the holes in the sheet metal before installing the screws with small washers to prevents the rubber from pulling off the screw head.

13. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Man.... I bet drilling was frustrating....... I use self tapper screws and large diameter "fender" washers. They are about an inch across and have a hole just large enough for the screw. I think they are .02 cents each here. I'm going to be ordering fender flares as well. My wheels stick out 6 inches. My idea was to buy a piece of 1/16"x1" flat stock steal and use that to bolt threw and pinch the flare to the fender. Should help hold it all very tight. Also.... I use silicone called "the right stuff" it is very tough. Almost impossible to remove hahaha. Its black in color. And I'm going to use that the seal the top edge of the flair to the truck. Anything I can do to keep the ice from getting in there and pulling everything apart.

Did I mention that rack looks awesome? If not....... It really does!!!! Hahaha

14. dwlb

dwlb Member

IMG_0855 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    I used self tapping screws and washers also on mine. After 3 years still holding up like new. Doug

15. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Sweeet!!! I can't wait for all my little projects to be done........ But somehow I dont think that will ever happen Hahahaha they are the big boys erector set Hahahaha

16. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

17. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

Sad day today, tomorrow she will have a new home.