1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Afco spring thoughts...

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by DYNOBOB, Jan 15, 2011.

1. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Yes. Plenty of clearance between axle and bottom of strut too.

[​IMG]

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

very nice! Did it effect the camber much?

3. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Because I just used a spacer tube I was able to push the top of the strut inward to the truck before I tightened the bolts which helped the camber. I can live w/ it since I pretty much only use off road. I'm thinking about putting about 1/4" of spacers behind the radius rod flange to push the wheels back some. I have about 1/2" of threads exposed on the front of the radius rod. Does doing that make any sence to you?

FYI, I looked the other day and it looks like the TAT runs very close to where you shot your broken axle vid.

Bob

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. that makes perfect sense. I've probably ridden on some of the TAT and didn't even know it.

5. That brake hose looks a little tight. Do you have any slack in it when the suspension is hanging?

6. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Yeah, the angle of the pic makes it look tight. Even w/ front off the ground there is plenty of slack.

7. kegoangoango

kegoangoango Member

Looks great. I just removed my struts and am considering either the jegs or summit springs.

Doesn't look like a problem, but was there any cutting necessary for the top of the spring? I recall a post where they cut the top of the spring a bit so it fit in the top joint better.

Also, just a note on the rear. I simply cut a 2"x2" block, drilled a hole for the spring bolt and made some longer u-bolts. You might be able to get longer u-bolts at an auto parts store, but I had the stock and a blow torch.

8. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

I didn't cut my 10" springs because they are flat ground anyway. I debated buying 12" and cutting them to same length as stock. The coils really would match the perch that way. Of course the spring rate changes by some amount. I'm happy with how mine worked out.

Did you put wedges under your rear springs for the driveline angle?

Bob

9. kegoangoango

kegoangoango Member

Thanks, Bob. The only wedges were the stock ones and since it was four years ago I can't really remember if there were or weren't any :)

BTW, did you put the plastic upper cover back on when rebuilding the strut? I debating leaving them off since they are a bit cracked. I assume the purpose is to help keep dirt off the top of the strut which is probably more valuable then I give it credit.

10. kegoangoango

kegoangoango Member

Never mind! I looked back at the pics and saw that you did.

11. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Your blocks interest me, do you have pics?

12. kegoangoango

kegoangoango Member

I don't know if you can see these two pics very well. The first is simply looking at the block from the front looking to the back and the second is from the back left looking at the right block.

Attached Files:

13. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Cool, I never thought about that approach. Your advantage is keeping the stock shackles and the lateral stiffness they provide the rear axle. You also maintain the stock distance to the bump stops for heavy loads = kinder to the springs. The downside is there is no increase in rear axle articulation. Since the loaded wheel can move up 2" more before it hits the stop I've noticed I don't pick a wheel up quite as easy = more traction. I think for heavy work blocks win, offroading shackles win. There's some over analysis for ya...

Bob

14. kegoangoango

kegoangoango Member

I pretty much just use it at ranch, which has some tricky offroading. Even on three wheels it will still climb :) I debated between the shackles or the block and went with the block for two reasons. First, I had the materials and second, I wasn't really sure how long to make the shackles to get the 2". Anyway, thanks for all your input on this!

15. DeMag

DeMag Member

Good pictures but the bucks on the wall look even better.

16. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

Thank You DeMag...

17. DeMag

DeMag Member

The one on the right with the long brow tines is a looker, biggest i have is 165-7/8, spent the last 20 yrs trying to top it.

How do you like your tires on your truck, are they noisy on blacktop and do they clean theirself in mud ?

18. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

I really like my AllTrails. They are loud at slow speeds, get quieter over 25mph. Hasn't been warm enough here since I got my truck for mud! :)

I think my two biggest deer are ~160 net. I'm fortunate, these were all taken from a stand 250 yds from my back door...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I digress :)

Bob

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  19. kegoangoango

kegoangoango Member

Well to keep everyone up to date on my spring swap, I replaced one and then the second one was a 175lb instead of 250lb (in the wrong box). Luckily I caught it while Jegs was still open and they're sending me another (should get it Tuesday). I have to get this done because Friday we're heading back to the rancch and i want to test it!

I also cut one of my 2" front lift spacers (the ones I built and in my picture) in half for a 1" (actually a little shorter) spacer. I just couldn't get the 2" between the strut and the body :)

I'll shoot some pics when I get them done.

Acerguy likes this.
  20. DeMag

DeMag Member

Great pictures bob
    If a person was going to do an upgrade on his springs and the weight of 2 men was 500 lb plus including future thought of a heavy duty bumper, winch and snow plow would ya'll still advise the 250 lb or 275 lb springs ?

21. kegoangoango

kegoangoango Member

Well, got one side done. Jegs sent two different springs (one was only #175)! The replacement should be here on Tuesday (thank goodness since I need it back together Tuesday night and on the trailer for leaving on Friday).

Here are a couple of pics. I cut my 2" spacer in half so I have 1" on each side (just couldn't get the 2" back in).

Attached Files:

22. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB Member

DeMag,

I think I'd stay w/ the 250lb springs. My truck gives the sensation that it's always in the top 20% of its travel.

The snow plow for the Suzuki (has 250 Afcos) I'm working on should be here Monday. I'll let you know how it looks w/ the plow installed.

Bob