1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 2000 SC Sambar has arrived at its new home in N.TX!

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by 350v8s10, Oct 3, 2008.

1. 350v8s10

350v8s10 Member

I am excited. My trucklet ("Trucklet" - 1st seen by me on this forum in a John Canfield post) is here two weeks earlier than expected.

This morning, I picked up my 2000 Subaru Sambar at http://www.northtexasminitrucks.com and brought it home. I have not done anything with it except look at it. It is supercharged and has A/C & power steering among its features. I am very pleased with it and will get started on the modifications soon.

A special 'Thank you' to Jason for getting me this!

Attached Files:

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

looks like a good start... nice towing rig you have there... official use only, right? :D

3. Glad you like the truck! I was very pleased with it's condition and I think you'll be happy with that truck for a long time.

Thanks for the free plug, too! :)

4. 350v8s10

350v8s10 Member

No problem with the free plug. It is well deserved. I buy many things for myself, I am not always pleased and sometimes greatly disappointed. This transaction was niether of those.

Your personal, professional, & pleasant attention to our trade / purchase and the Subaru Sambar all exceeded my expectations. Thank you!

Terry

5. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Welcome to the Sambar Club
    Now get busy and get some 14's on there will ya! JK :D
    Nice looking truck, see you got the factory foglights to boot.

6. 350v8s10

350v8s10 Member

Wheels & tires are high on my list of things to get. I just don't want to make any mistakes on what I buy. I particularly like the KIA wheels you have on yours. Are they 14"s? If so, what tire size are you using and are the wheels a direct fit with no maching required? Is yours lifted to clear the tires?

7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Answers to questions:

• Yes they are 14's
    • Tires are Kumho KW19 165/65R14 - see pictures in gallery
    • Rims are from Kia Spectra 14" x 5.5" 45 offset.
      The center bore is to small for Sambar so I had them machined to 59.1mm to fit.
      Some Nissan products have the correct center bore - no machining required.
    • No lift on truck. Stock suspension and there is no rub on any part of the truck even at full droop of wheel
    • With 45 offset it just clears the spring up front -tire wise. For Sambars I think this combo works well.
      If you go less offset [like 38mm] it should still be ok.
      The less offset or bigger profile [>165] you go the more chance you have of rubbing on mudflap or door on front.
      I think Colin runs 185's on his but not sure what the rim specs are.
      I just finishing doing a freeway run to see my sis and the 165's are prefect on the freeway.
      I think if you started going bigger on OD the top end speed would fall off.

8. jtpc

jtpc Member

Congratulations! You will love it! :) Keep us posted.
    ~Josh

9. 350v8s10

350v8s10 Member

I understand "backspace", but offset is new to me. Does the 45 move the rim in closer to the spring or out further away than the 38 does?

10. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

More offset will move the wheel CLOSER in this case. Here's a pretty good EXPLANATION.

11. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Beat me to the "splantion".
    Tks Acer!

12. 350v8s10

350v8s10 Member

Thanks for the "explanation" It is detailed and easy to understand. I had to adjust to the concept of positive offset, but once done, I had little trouble.

I have found several wheels that have caught my eye. One set is unknown what the center bore is, one set has a 66.1 center bore, and one set has a 73 center bore. All have the 4x100 bolt pattern. I like the ones with the 73 bore best, but it seems to me that little material is left between the bore and the lug bolt hole.

My tires were delivered today. I am very pleased with them. They are General Altimax HPs in 185/60R-14. A picture accompanies this post.

Terry

Attached Files:

13. 350v8s10

350v8s10 Member

My tire specs=

manufacturer = General
    model name = ALTIMAX HP
    catagory = Grand Touring All Season
    size = 185/60R-14
    tread pattern = directional
    UTQG = 440 A A
    maximum load = 1047 lbs.
    maximum inflation pressure = 51 lbs.
    tread depth = 10/32"
    tire weight = 17 lbs
    rim range = 5" to 6.5"
    section width (on 5.5" rim) = 7.4"
    overall diameter = 22.7"
    revolutions per mile = 890
    price (from www.tirerack.com) = $51.00

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  14. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Make sure you pick up/ or make some hub centric rings for your new wheels to bring the bore down to 59.1, that is if the 00 has the same size hub as my '91

15. jtpc

jtpc Member