1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mud tires stock rims?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by rynoryno, Dec 10, 2008.

1. rynoryno

rynoryno New Member

Has anyone had experience mounting Mud Tires on to the stock 12" Rims on a 91 Suzuki Carry? I want to use the truck in an agriculture application and need more height and traction without the added width of an ATV rim and tire package with an offset.
    I was looking at the ITP Mudlite. But will an ATV tire mount to road rim? The size is a 25X8 R12. Will an 8" wide tire stuff onto the stock 4" wide rim? If so do I run the risk of blowing off the bead?
    Also I am carrying 1000lbs in the truck and therefore need the tires to be capable of carrying the load.
    I have even considered trying to install some small tractor tires, but again don't know if there is anything that will work.

Thanks in advance for anyones thoughts or ideas.

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  3. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Carlisle Allterrains on stock rim

We regularly mount the 23 x 8 x 12 Carlisle to the stock rims with excellent results. Sometimes you have to space the stock rim out an inch (Suzuki) to clear the struts (spacers are readily available in all three configurations). Not sure if the 25's will clear without a bit of a lift. It helps to have a professional tire machine available as the bead can sometimes be tough to seat.

4. RrustyDawg

RrustyDawg New Member

You might consider stepping up to 13" wheels and using some severe weather snow & ice tires. That will give you the full payload capacity you are after and pretty good grip. I am running some Hakkapeliita tires (yes...that spelling is correct) on my Carry on my farm and am quite happy with them. You will give up some flotation, but carrying capacity and highway speed rating were more important to me.

5. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

RrustyDawg, Which model tire are you running - the 5's or?

6. RrustyDawg

RrustyDawg New Member

I've got the 1's. They are studdable and have a good aggressive tread. They came from the dealer where I bought my truck. I can't find that model available for sale in U.S. so I don't know where he got them.

I live out in the country, so my rig drives gravel roads with nice sharp rocks...no flats yet.

7. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

Use ITP 24x8x12 mud lites. They work well.

8. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Cory, Are they going to carry his truck [1600~1700 lbs] + his 1000 lb load = 2600 lbs ?

That's 650 lbs/ per tire.

9. rynoryno

rynoryno New Member

Thanks for all the info. I think I am going to start with the Carlisle Tru-Power small 7-12 tractor tires. They have the aggressive tread to get through the mud. I am also going to get some blank 7 inch wide rims with a small offset and have the bolt holes machined to the proper size. I will then try some wider tires with a higher speed rating for on road use. We'll see how it works, I won't get the tires and rims until mid January.

Thanks for everyone's help.

10. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Nanco 6-12 Ag Lug tires , 23 0r 25 inch.

Will fit on stock rim , no problems.

Excellent traction and load capacity.

I have them on my truck.

11. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I have the Nanco 23 inchers on stock tires on my truck. I used them to replace 25x7 tires, also with very aggressive tread. I can go anywhere with the smaller tires that I could with the big wide ones. The little tires do not stick out from the body and do not hit the body when turning, as the 25 inchers did in the front. So far, so good with the Nanco tires, but I don't know about their durability.

Sam

12. scallywagon

scallywagon New Member

i'm running the 25x8x12R mudlite on stockys with no issue's

13. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I am plugging the AMS Swamp fox. With no lift kit a 23x8x12 will work on your truck. Ive been installing these tires on my trucks over 3 yrs. now, never had a complaint. They will fit the standard mini truck rim. Yes they are rated at 300lbs each. 80% of my buyers are ranchers in the Texas Hill Country which is a lot of rock and out in west Texas. These guys are hauling general ranch equip. and feed all the time. They work these trucks every day. Tire does make some noise running on hard packed surfaces. They grip really well. They are 6 ply. Ive the bed loaded with fire wood a many a day and never had a problem. Ive proven this tire.

14. TRAX and HORNS

I didnt notice but this thread started about 1 yr. ago. Oh well someone will get something out of it.

15. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

This is great information. Thanks for posting it!

16. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

mine ^ are still digging and no real signs of wear or anything. Not much road use, but I have had them on the road 40 mph+ and they are 20 mph rated .

I just took some pictures yesterday with about 1,000 pounds of firewood, barely noticeable looking at tires they have that much weight on them. I run the 28psi max all the time. I drive over alot of rocks crossing creeks with a load of wood.

Very durable. I am positive an atv type tire would Not hold up under the same conditions as I have put these thru. Nor would I get the load capacity or traction.

17. bubbactbmsh98

bubbactbmsh98 New Member

i have a 1998 subaru sambar 4x4 and if someone could please tell me what tires i can use with the stock wheels and no lift i would so appreciate it

18. bubbactbmsh98

bubbactbmsh98 New Member

can you tell me what tires like (ITP'S) i can use with my stock wheels on a 98 subaru sambar 4x4 please also it has no lift

19. erixun

erixun Member

I put on Kenda Bearclaws, 24x8x12's with no lift on my Suzuki and had no rubbing issues, have since added a 2" lift though. Not ITP's but aggressive good tires. Havent had any problems with them, and run them on my wheeler as well. Got mine from rockymountainatv.com.

20. TRAX and HORNS

Google "AMS Swamp Fox". Ive been installing these tires for 5+ yrs. on my retail trucks. Never had a complaint.
    They come in 23x8x12 and 24x8x12 and are 6 ply. Ive had the bed loaded with oak fire wood and they handled it fine. I run 16psi. I have ranchers and farmers hauling 1000lbs. round bales and they indicate that these tires are working well. They are not good for hard packed surfaces(pavement/cement).
    No lift I'd go with the 23's.

21. bubbactbmsh98

bubbactbmsh98 New Member

thanks

thank you guy's for the help so now im ordering tires :)

22. JJ3381

JJ3381 New Member

I have a two inch lift on my Carry and have 25x8-12 with no issues front or rear. I did cut the front fenders because I previously had 26x8-12 that rubbed under full flex. I was curious if anyone is running wider tires in the rear? I am thinking about ordering wider rear tires.I have 3.20 inches of room between the tire and nearest rub point in the rear with the 25x8 installed.

23. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Check out Ironraven's build log. He's got some monsters front AND rear.

I run 10.5" tires in the rear (Nanco ag tread) but they really aren't that much wider than the 8.5" fronts.

24. JJ3381

JJ3381 New Member

Thanks for the info :)