1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MT converted as a PAINTBALL APC

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by maxsutter, Mar 2, 2008.

1. maxsutter

maxsutter New Member

1. Which make and model of mini truck would be best suited to be converted into a Paintball APC/TANK?

2. We would need to remove the glass windshield and windows - We would put a net in place to stop the paintballs. IF we do this can we waterproof the internal wiring some how and make the interior cab water proof?

3. doses anyone know someone that could weld/add a metal/fiberglass wall around the truck bed in much the same way a half track from world war II are designed?

4. How well do the track add on option work with the mini trucks in mud?

5. I have seen a double cab mini with a small bed that was rather interesting.

6. If you have ever played paintball - milsim or otherwise - realistically how many people can you PACK into a mini and if you do this often woudl we need to get enhanced shocks?

7. 7. asking for a stripped mini - no windows ac/heat or extras in the cab as they would be exposed to the elements -

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  2. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

All I can say is.......WOW:eek:

3. Gawdzuki

Gawdzuki New Member

I can honestly say I would have never thought of this particular use for a mini. But, I would really like to see how it turns out.

I think the double cab with a little bed may be what is called a deck van. hope that helps

4. maxsutter

maxsutter New Member

the thought process behind a flat bed mini - is a duall troop carrier / tank role where we take off the three pieces that make a bed so troops ride on the flat bed easily accommodating 6? on the flat bed if they are sitting. Keep in mind there is a 5 -10 mph cap rule on paintball tanks. Now what you rarely see in paintball is a dual vehicle as a tank normally hads 1-2 people only. The mini size and design seemed ideal.

that extended cab - well 1 driver -gunner up front and a 30 to 40 inch pallet carousel for a gun emplacement - http://www.factorysupply.net/tables.htm

What size carousel would work with an extended cab?

Now I can take a TRASHED OUT mini and make that sucker work so cost also plays a factor as I dont need / desire the windows or any of the extras - these parts could be stripped from a dealer refurb to reduce my overall cost. thoughts on that?

now it is not as cool as a real tank design but it is super functional as ready to go mini truck.

5. oldplug1

oldplug1 Member

6. maxsutter

maxsutter New Member

thanks for the heads up - there is no shipping from there - I am in Texas - This would be exactly what I need. I am curious how well the internals of the cab hold up when there are no windows.

7. maxsutter

maxsutter New Member

no shipping available

8. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

I have sure thought about it. My brother has a paintball field. I used to play all the time. I played way to expensive tournaments though. Now I sell mini trucks.

9. maxsutter

maxsutter New Member

you mean in terms as a paintball tank - well the idea here is if you get a stripped down one and use the flat bed as troop carrier and the cab has the driver of course and a gunner you could roll with 8 people on this thing.

Do you think what I want to do is practical?

my main worry is the open air cab as we would need to have all of the glass removed - how will the internals hold up?

10. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

It is very practical. The mechanics will definatly hold up. My brother and I have talked about it many times. He just didn't want to pay to have it made. You could go 40 mph with 8 people on board if you wanted to. Taking the glass out is no big deal. The inside will get durty but you will just have to wipe it out. I would put some sort of screen in the windows to break and catch the balls if you don't want glass.

11. Dan

Dan Member

The lack of windows won't play a factor on anything but the vinyl covered seats. I have had fleets of these on a golf course just like that one but with bar-style doors or none at all. the interiors are all hard plastic or steel. we would wash the cab out regularly with a 1" hose. never a problem with electrical or otherwise. the units that old were pretty tough.

12. maxsutter

maxsutter New Member

my concern is that the glass woudl break or crack then shatter from close impact from a paintball gun - also you cant see anything if they shoot up your windsheld whereas the screen thing you can still see.

the 8 people 6 around the bed like a moving bench - to trans port troops and 2 up front - Now would I need to invest in heavy duty shock?

would the mud tires work fine or would tracks be a BETTER option - also as they look tank like. I thought about creating a turret on the passanger side where someone could stand / sit and rotate a cannon.otherwise the cheap way is to let them shoot through the net.

we dont need to go more then 10 mph due to field rules - so a ragged out model woudl work for what I want

So the quest is for a mini no one else wants to buy as ti si stripped down / missing windows. ect

the question is where to find such a mini?

13. maxsutter

maxsutter New Member

I sent out emails with the 1 post here to all of the sponsored ad sites listed with no response yet.

14. Dan

Dan Member

Try govt. auctions or the bone yards at golf courses or parks depts. some of the hotels or resorts may have some buried in a garage somewhere. i saw in a thread here, just such a creature, listed in government auction for something like 50 bucks. shocks shouldn't be necessary, mine were like mules. Treated like a 1 ton. The windows are all dot style safety glass, but i see your point about visibility. 4x4 tires should be fine, but trax would add to the look. maybe just on the back... good luck and happy hunting

15. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

Tracks would be impractical unless you are willing to spend at minimum $3700 just on the tracks. I have a 2wd Jumbo I would sell for $2700. I may have a beater in some time that would work for you though. When you seriously want to buy one and know what your budget is then give me a call.

16. oldplug1

oldplug1 Member

Would a soft top type cab cover work?

I think you could go to and upholstery shop and build a cab cover.
    That would function to keep the inside dry when needed, and allow you to fire when its in play.
    Have it made with 4 clear plastic zip up windows, like on an old soft top Jeep.
    Have snaps installed on the bottom of the soft top and on the truck so you can snap it in place and leave it there.
    When you are storing or transporting it you just keep the windows zipped up.
    It would not have to be really tight like a jeep top, just big enough to slip over the cab and snap down.
    Might work.

Jim

17. oldplug1

oldplug1 Member

Make a soft top that snaps in place.

Like a Jeep soft top. An upholstery shop could built one with 4 zip up plastic windows. This would solve the moisture problems when you are storing or transporting the truck. Simply un-zip the windows when its in play.

18. maxsutter

maxsutter New Member

that is a interesting idea - thank you -normally tanks use a net material to stop paintballs as well you never have something smeared with paint balls as you can alway look through the net.
    We could have the net and the zip window. - someone posted that the open air does not adversely effect the mini's internals

19. oldplug1

oldplug1 Member

how about building a soft top to slip over cab

You could have an upholstery guy make it with zip up windows, and snaps to fasten it to the cab. That should protect the inside and let you shoot up the country side, when ever you need to.
    Jim

20. oldplug1

oldplug1 Member

Ok all of a sudden what i thought was not posting is all over you blog....Sorry for the repeat messages, repeat messages, repeat messages.

21. maxsutter

maxsutter New Member

bulldogoffroad.com seems to have the best custom metal working skills

22. draggbody

draggbody Member

where are you located???

23. maxsutter

maxsutter New Member

houston texas

24. xcellu8

xcellu8 New Member

I got a cover for my mini from Empire Covers. They give ratings for all their covers for how well it protects the car in four different categories, including sun. And there are always coupon codes floating around for that site.

http://empirecovers-review.blogspot.com

Not sure if you want to go to the trouble of covering the whole car every time you park though. I think the sunshade would be a lot easier.