1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting a generator

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Lee17, May 1, 2018.

1. Lee17

Lee17 Member

I’m trying to figure out how to mount a 94 lb (not including gas) generator onto my 1990 acty. I would just throw it on top of the van with a roof rack but it is too tall to fit into my garage. I was thinking some sort of swing out mount would be cool to put the generator on when I needed it and then when I didn’t swing it closed. Any thoughts on how or where I could best mount the generator?

Thanks!
    Lee

2. DWils

DWils Member

What about something like Jeep Wranglers use to mount a spare tire on the back? The kind of metal square tubing that swings out of the way to open that little door they have. Something similar might work for getting the generator out of the way of the rear door.

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The only way would be to hang some kind of shelf off one of the ends. Actually you could build some kind of a hatch on the side, but that would be a lot of work, and severely intrude into the interior.

I’d try to build a shelf on the front.

4. DWils

DWils Member

Or what about some sort of fold-out contraption that would fold the generator out the back door, like how the rear seat collapses and folds into the footwell. Or maybe a slide-out tray that will move the generator out of the vehicle compartment through the rear door?

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

You could do that. Something similar to a “BedSled” If you look online you can get extra heavy duty drawer slides that would probably work well. 500-lb capacity 36-inch extension sets. Roughly $125/pair.

6. Lee17

Lee17 Member

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to go with a custom made swing out cargo holder mounted to the back hatch. I’m still in the beginning stages of making it but I can add photos of the process. I started cutting up the steel this morning.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  7. Lee17

Lee17 Member

Cut these pieces this morning. Also I included a couple of photos of the new paint job I did for fun. I took out the bench seat and passenger seat for extra space.

Attached Files:

8. DWils

DWils Member

Thanks for the interior pictures!

9. Lee17

Lee17 Member

I forgot to add a before pic of the interior before the paint job. I had to remove this terrible strong smelling adhesive under the bench seat floor board.

Attached Files:

10. Lee17

Lee17 Member

I decided to not mount the generator off of the back hatch as I could not come to grips with drilling holes in the hatch. Also, all that weight on the hatch would make me nervous driving down the street hitting bumps and what not.

I’ve decided to get a roof rack instead and chain it up top. The issue is that my garage does not have the clearance to allow me to drive the acty inside with the generator mounted on top. Any ideas on how I can safely, easily, or cheaply remove the very heavy generator down from the top each day?

Also, any suggestions on compatible roof racks for the acty van? 1990 E07A. I’m thinking of going to a pick n pull junk yard and finding a random rack that can fit.

11. DWils

DWils Member

Maybe if you make a tall tower then you can just drive up next to it and unload the generator onto the tower and not have to bother with lifting it upnamd lowering it back down everyday.

As for the roof rack, could you fabricate something yourself? At least then you'd know it would fit.

12. Jigs-n-fixtures

Yakima rack, is pretty adaptable. They make plates that would need to be bolted to the roof, that adapt to either the bar mounts.

I’m planning on bolting two pair of the “Control Tower” base pads onto the roof of my Hijet to mount a rack on it.

There are purpose built racks available on Japanese sites, but I’m not sure how strong they are. I’ve used the Yakima, and Thule systems since my Volvo days, in the 80’s, and have a really good idea of what I can do with them.

13. Isetta

Isetta New Member

What kind of generator are you working with and what using for? Camping / construction? Have a picture of it? Some of the portables like Honda EU2000i are very easy to move around and very capable

14. DWils

DWils Member