1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More speed and clip removal help

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Bob32racing, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Bob32racing

Bob32racing Member

I'm looking to get more speed out of my hijet. Ive been searching threads and believe I can do it. But I'm lost on this 4 bolt plate everyone refers to on the left hand side of the transfer case. I may be wrong but is this a cover plate that would go where the pto bolts to the transfercase?

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I would bet that it is. Does your transfer case shift between high and low? I know this sounds like a stupid question but that is all removing the clip does and some people aren't real clear of the concept.The other thing is the little box where the speedo cable hits the tranny.If it is still there just unscrew the cable and zip tie the box out of the way and screw the cable to the tranny.

3. Bob32racing

Bob32racing Member

Mine is only "d" and "n". Ive read many threads saying remove the clip and slide it into high. However i have a pto so ill have to remove it. That should be pretty easy seeing as im putting a clutch in it, in the next few days.

4. Bob32racing

Bob32racing Member

Pulled the transmission out and took the pto off. Took a needle nose and pulled the clip and now I have high gear. I also removed the small blackbox on the speedo cable. Hopefully ill get the new clutch one of these days and we will see how fast it goes now.

dale hynes likes this.
  5. ttc

ttc Active Member

Hey can you take a pic of the PTO please

6. Bob32racing

Bob32racing Member

What exactly do you want to see? The box otherwise Its just a shaft to the tailgate.

7. ttc

ttc Active Member

What's it look like on the tranny

8. Bob32racing

Bob32racing Member

Just a small rounded box with a shaft coming out. Ill get a picture in a day or two.

9. Lars

Lars New Member

10. Lars

Lars New Member

That is the left side of the transmission/gear box on a 1990 S80.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  11. Lars

Lars New Member

12. Lars

Lars New Member

The clip is way back in there. I could barely fit my lady-hands in to feel what I was looking for. It is clipped onto a horizontal shaft and I could not get it off with needle-nose pliers. It is the kind of clip that doesn't twist or pull off easily, but it is meant to be pushed off from the open end. I put two flathead screwdrivers in --one to keep the clip from rotating on the shaft, and the other to hit lightly with a hammer to pop the clip off. Of course, I lost the clip in the gear box. Then I lost the magnet I was using to find the clip. Eventually, I was able to use a long plastic zip tie to sweep the clip down where I could pick it up with a magnet. High. Gear. Is. Worth. It.
    [​IMG]

Martin Fornage likes this.
  13. WakeWorld

WakeWorld New Member

I did this yesterday and used a pair of needle-nose vise grips. I used a screwdriver to turn the clip so that the opening was facing away from me. Then I latched on with the vice grips and it pulled off easier than I thought it would and I didn't have to worry about dropping it.