1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mitsubishi U42T Fuel Problem

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by cerfin11, Aug 7, 2020.

1. cerfin11

cerfin11 New Member

I am new to this forum so if I'm doing this wrong, please let me know. The problem; My 1993 Mitsubishi U42T is constantly flooding. I can run it continuously for about five minutes then it floods out and dies and will not restart for hours. I can also start it about six times while running around the farm until it floods out. I cannot find a mechanic in my area. I live in rural Kentucky, I have changed the fuel filter but I don't know the next step. Thanks!

TooManyProjects likes this.
  2. I am having pretty much the same ussue with my 91 Mitsi mincab.
    The folks on here are very helpful. Go to my post about my problem. That may give you some insight.
    Mine will start when the engine is cold, but runs very rich. When warmed up, it will start, but very reluctantly.

cerfin11 likes this.
  3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Sounds like the choke isn’t working right. The choke is a wet choke. Try warming up the engine and then tapping the wet choke on the carb with your finger.

G R Imports has some good pictures on their maintenance tips page: https://www.grimports.com/maintenance-tips

cerfin11 and TooManyProjects like this.
  4. I checked out the G&R website the other day. I learned all sorts of things i didnt know.
    It makes total sense about the wet choke. Now. When i first acquired the rig, i flushed the cooling system. My father in law, must have used straight water, or so it appeared when i initially drained the system. Which, would explain possible mass corrosion in the wet choke. Thus the sticking and failure to operate correctly. Thats where im going to start when i tear into it.
    Thanks for all the help. If you think of anything we havent talked about, let me know. Ill be checking in on here from time to time.
    Thanks much!!!
    Joe

cerfin11 likes this.
  5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The float settng is parallel to the top plate with the top upside down.

The initial idle screw setting is out 1.5 turns from seated.

With the truck warmed up, the choke adjustment screw shouldn’t hit the cam.

Limestone and cerfin11 like this.
  6. cerfin11

cerfin11 New Member

Thanks for the tip. I removed the catalytic converter but no change. I'm going to try the wet choke when I have the time.

7. werase643

werase643 Member

stock fuel pump or aftermarket fuel pump......?

8. cerfin11

cerfin11 New Member

I own a farm so there is always something distracting me from working on my truck. I am also a new mechanic. Really more of a mechanic of necessity due to the remoteness of my farm. I want to thank everyone for their advise and suggestions. I will be in touch as soon as I try some of there suggested fixes. Brian

TooManyProjects likes this.
  10. The choke plate "arm" doesn't appear to be connected to anything. There is a vacuum operated "arm" that pushes the choke plate arm. However, the vaccum arm doesn't seem to go in far enough to open the choke plate completely I tried to upload i picture, but it says the file is too big.

Attached Files:

11. I THINK I found my problem. I think. I took the carb off (Mikuni 34SHVT) and field stripped it. Cleaned what I could clean without having a rebuild kit. In the process, I removed the coolant lines from the carb, and lost some coolant. Put it back together and back on the truck. Started up fine, as it always does, and noticed it was running much warmer than usual, (likely because the loss of coolant) about midway between the "normal" range. The choke plate stayed wide open. I believe, if I put a OEM thermostat in it, rather than the offset one I found at the parts store, it will run at "normal" temp. Thus warming up enough to open the choke all the way. I still need to adjust the timing and adjust the valves. But I will get to that soon enough. Thanks much for the help! If anything changes, as Arnold would say, "I'll be back!"
    Thanks again for all your help.