1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini-trucks on the trail in Colorado?

Discussion in 'United States' started by John Canfield, Aug 21, 2008.

1. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

We were recently in the San Juan mountains of SW Colorado doing 4-wheeling with our Jeep on the many trails around Silverton, Ouray, Lake City, etc. and saw everything on the trails from Rubicons to quads to pickup trucks to Gators to dirt bikes but no mini-trucks. I kept thinking it would a bunch of fun to run my mini on the trails there.

Does anybody know if the minis are legal on the public lands in Colorado??

2. Windmill

Windmill Member

I would think if you bought the permit that you have to buy for 4 wheelers there would be no problem. Just a guess.

3. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Yeah - could be... It would be a blast to run my truck there - I'll have to do some more checking around.

4. nightair 98

nightair 98 Member

The rail there state that no vehicles with licsens are alowed. ???????

5. Windmill

Windmill Member

I love Ouray. It is my most favorite place anywhere!!!!!!

6. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Ouray is indeed a very quaint and enjoyable "Alpine village" (at least that's what it reminds me of!)

7. jarret321

jarret321 New Member

Not sure if I understand your response. I am very curious about this as well, I am looking forward to taking mine to the CO mountains this upcoming elk season, just don't want to haul it 2,000 miles to let it sit. The bunny cops are all over the mountains every time I have been out there. Just not looking to get fined. Any info would be appreciated!

8. bronco351

bronco351 New Member

As far as I know, you need either the yearly OHV sticker or a license plate and you can drive on trails in Colorado. I certainly am planning to take my Hijet on trails. It is considered an ATV, so it should be ok. Will attempt to get a OHV sticker in the next few weeks so we will see....

9. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Please keep us posted on your effort to get an OHV sticker. Welcome to the forums!:)

10. bronco351

bronco351 New Member

Forgot to update this..
    I filled out the OHV paperwork and got a sticker no problem.

One catch, these trucks are UTVs not ATVs. I got busted by a Forest Ranger for being on an "ATV" trail. Minis are considered "Jeeps" on the National Forest scale. So they can only be on trails designated for Jeeps not ATVs or motorcycles. :frustration:

11. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Thanks for the update!

I suppose an ATV can be on a "Jeep" trail, but a "Jeep" can't be on an ATV trail :rolleyes: