1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Trucks, Legal on Streets?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Strick, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strick

Strick New Member

I am new to the Mini Truck scene. I have read that mini trucks are not legal and yet I read that some states or communities allow these vehicles to be tagged. How can I check if a state will allow? Is there a title associated with these vehicles? Blue Book Value? :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  2. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Look online or contact one of your state officials. If there are no rules on the books, then you may need to work with them on getting such a process started, if they are interested in doing so.

3. Strick

Strick New Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply

4. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

They are not street legal by federal law.

5. broshawn777

broshawn777 New Member

No federal law states they have to be imported in as a.t.v.'s. Once that happens it can be modified to be whatever the owner can come up with. Now that the a.t.v. is no longer an a.t.v. it can be a modified vehicle and thus registered.

6. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

You are wrong but it's not worth arguing with you...besides it is a violation of the rules of this forum.

7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

I'm afraid that ABC is right in that we've decided to take the stand that we are going to keep the forum free of threads regarding "tagging" these vehicles. It can, and has, gotten pretty contentious. There are compelling arguments on either side. In the interest of keeping the peace, please restrict forum threads to topics OTHER than this.

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=188

8. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

ABC is correct. Just because you remove the EPA restrictors, does not suddenly make the truck "legal" to register. The EPA HAS held and forced containers of these trucks to be returned to Japan for not meeting their "requirements" for being legal to import. I think the EPA rules are stupid, but do not have the limitless pocketfuls of money that would be required to bribe our federal moffia into allowing them to be imported for on road use. If your STATE has decided to let you put plates on your truck, then THEY are (rightfully, IMO) circumventing the EPA laws as well. If your STATE has chosen to issue tags, then you need to follow THEIR steps to get plates - knowing FULL WELL that this is NOT an EPA sanctioned action. This is something that those who choose to tag their trucks, need to keep QUIET about it as well.

9. broshawn777

broshawn777 New Member

I concede. States have rights to govern their own roads and how they do that is up to them, not federals. My whole point exactly. The downfall of people who want to do what they choose with their property comes over debate over gray area. This is apparently a gray area in MANY states. So, all who are dead set on arguing their knowledge of this law or that one from the feds just keep on yelling about how right you are and wrong everyone else is and maybe one day we won't be able to get them at all. (of course because you have done such a good job of reminding us ALL how wrong we are.) This is not hurtful in any way to anyone except for those who choose to drive them just like motorcycles. (wait maybe we should ban those too.)

10. broshawn777

broshawn777 New Member

I'm officially out of this race guys. My state says it is ok. I have a tag on all my trucks that I have had and will continue to do so as long as my state allows. I will admit getting 40+ miles per gallon is awesome.

11. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Yes, states are sovereign, and have their own rights. This is WHY I've been stating that people need to look into their states rules. However, this STILL does not make it suddenly legal at the federal level. This is not a simple cut and dry issue. The fact that I have tags on mine (still waiting on the title before I breathe easy), is proof enough on where I stand on this issue. I don't know what state you live in, but as far as I'm concerned, good for your state on excercising their soverenty, and allowing it's citizens the choice.

Oh, and if you're getting 40+ mpg, I'd love to know how. I'm nowhere NEAR that mileage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.