1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini truck ride

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by oldoldoldman, May 3, 2011.

1. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Hi, Im not sure about specks but compared to my s80 the Midget 2 has a much much better softer highway ride. I think but am not sure that most of the frame parts might interchange so some of you might look into it for a better softer on highway ride with stock parts. Would like to hear from someone that knows for sure though, tom

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Not really related to your post but it reminded me of how last night I was taking my Hijet around the property for a "hot lap" and again was frustrated that I can't drive my truck on the street. It has PLENTY of power to get up to highway speed and zip me to town and it's adequately comfortable for that length of trip despite my being 6' tall. Oh well. :(

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

your softer ride comes from a few things..load capacity for the midget is much lower than the hijet so the rear springs will be softer (more like the hijet when loaded)...2wd so less front end components to bounce around over bumps and lower unsprung weight...central seating position...evenly distributed weight ....my volvo handles and rides much worse when my 340 lb buddy is in the passenger seat...:)

4. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Ride

Do the Hijets have a torsion bar in front?

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

nope..coils.............is the midget torsion bar ?

6. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

both if Im seeing right

both if Im seeing right

7. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

What your seeing is probably link bars to keep the lower control arm centered. They take the place of what you might know as a lower A-arm. The Hijet has link bars like this. Im sure there is a more proper name for them but i can't think of it at the moment.

8. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

if you take the 1 inch blocks out of the rear axle , it will ride a bit better. should not need it with the tires on it now. this will make it track better at higher speeds also.

9. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

thanks

thanks I got 155x80x13s all around it now.

10. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

torsion bar

the midget has a single bar going from one strut along the front frame to the other strut shaped like a long u.