1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini ready for the road

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by trktrd, Jul 20, 2019.

1. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

Shame that this forum isn’t more active, but I’ll post anyway. Just got finished making my (new to me) Acty ready for the road. Changed cv boots, one bad ball joint and put on new tires. Tomorrow Acty will be taking myself and the wife to the Awful House for breakfast for the maiden voyage. Other than the initial shakedown cruise, this will be the test. We will be attaining blistering speeds exceeding 45 mph God willing. 5 traffic lights and one stop sign stand between us and our destination. I have faith that mini is up to the task.

More to come..........

2. shogun

shogun Active Member

The reason the forum is'nt more active is, that the Acty runs and runs, no problems to report a long time, just this month my car passed the roadworthy test for the next 2 years and got a new sticker.

Skeets and trktrd like this.
  3. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

Good to hear.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  4. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

That didn’t end well. Another issue with suspension. Got home safe but it was a shaky ride. I am now discovering why these little beauties are so expensive to buy in the states. Lots to fix once they get here.

5. JonP

JonP Member

Outside of routine maintenance I haven't had to do much with mine. Yours must've been beat on to have multiple suspension issues right from the start!

But yeah, not many people on this forum. I'm happy to answer any questions you have in the future. I know the acty van pretty well by now.

6. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

Judging by the dried mud I’ve cleaned off the undercarriage I would venture to say it must have been used on a farm or maybe construction. That would explain the beat up suspension. At least it’s cheap to fix. Ball joints are only $20 each.

7. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

Should have it ready to go “again “ tomorrow. A friend is welding in the new ball joint today. FYI the perfect fit US part that actually fits was a ball joint for a Polaris Ranger. What about wheel balancing? Do these tiny things require balancing? I had just put on new tires, could have contributed to the vibration in the steering?

8. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

yes these still need the wheels balanced

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The amount of vibration is a function of the inch-ounces of imbalance multiplied by the square of the rpm.
    The little wheels and tires, spin pretty fast, and so a little imbalance develops quite a bit of vibration.

10. trktrd

trktrd Active Member

All better now. Front end all like new, tires balanced etc... Acty now rides like a limo and handles like a Ferrari. (Slight exaggeration)