1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Expedition Vehicle

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by erixun, Sep 16, 2010.

1. erixun

erixun Member

After finding a camp site that was in the middle of no where and off loaded the mini, I ran the mini into Eureka "city", here is a couple of pics of the town and cemetery. I have family in this cemetery, the town is an old mining community and still has a mine that is in operation, gold, silver and nickel were the cash incentives to dig. No one even gave me a second look in the mini, there are ATV's driving around everywhere anyway.

desert 020.jpg

desert 026.jpg

desert 027.jpg

desert 032.jpg

desert 038.jpg

desert 031.jpg

desert 037.jpg

2. erixun

erixun Member

Visited some of the old mines that are still around, some are over 2000 feet deep, they have since caved in most, or covered the shafts with steel bars.

desert 028.jpg

desert 039.jpg

desert 051.jpg

desert 053.jpg

On a quiet non windy day you can drop a rock about the size of your head down this shaft and can hear it bouncing off the wall for over a minute, don't know if it knocks stuff off, hits the bottom, or just goes so deep you cant hear it anymore.

desert 055.jpg

3. erixun

erixun Member

Don't have any "action" shots of the truck in action, I was alone and found it difficult to take pictures of my truck actually driving up and down the trails and roads :D. But here is a couple of shots of the truck in places I stopped to look around. I was a little late this year for pine-nuts the squirrels have beat me to most of them, but did manage to gather some. :pop:

desert 044.jpg

desert 056.jpg

desert 062.jpg

desert 093.jpg

desert 094.jpg

4. erixun

erixun Member

More random pics....

desert 046.jpg

desert 064.jpg

desert 068.jpg
    Old train crossing. Rails still in use, but some of these buildings havent seen maint in years.

desert 070.jpg
    Big Horn Hamburgers.....

desert 076.jpg

Storm clouds would swoop in, drop a little and then leave... but one dropped a little bit more.

desert 079.jpg

desert 074.jpg

I like having an enclosed cab with heat, it hailed hard for about 10 minutes. Then cleared up. As the saying goes, if you don't like the weather in Utah, just wait 5 minutes.

desert 087.jpg

desert 110.jpg

An old grain silo next to some rail road tracks.

desert 111.jpg

This is a wild fire station.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  5. erixun

erixun Member

Last ones...

desert 112.jpg

This is a historical marker for the pony express trail that went through this area.

desert 057.jpg

desert 045.jpg

desert 060.jpg

desert 083.jpg

A small little reservoir in the middle of no where. About two steps left of B.F.E.

desert 085.jpg

This is the "drain" pipe, it looked as though some people aerated the pipe with a couple of bullets. Nice cool spray though.

desert 098.jpg

These last couple of pictures were taken on top of a small mountain, it was a fun day driving around, went from about 5500' to about 8000'

desert 101.jpg

And I just noticed, I did not take any pictures of any of the animals I saw... sorry, but I did see mule deer, antelope, turkey vultures etc.

desert 105.jpg

SUZUKI! Top of the world, ma!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  6. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Great pics..thanks for sharing..love em..keep em coming if you have more:)

7. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I'm totally jealous. Awesome pics, looks like a good time!

8. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Reminds me of growing up in the high desert in Southern California...all the abandoned mines...we used to find them everywhere and then explore them before they were blocked up and "made safe"

9. o8k

o8k Member

looks like a fun trip! Two of my favorite things, mine shafts, and pictures of the local cattle :D

10. Half Life

Half Life Member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  11. jgendr

jgendr New Member

Great Job !!!

Your a man after my own heart!! LOL Just exactly like I'm planning to do to my carry. Only Difference in I plan on making a canvas back and a full length rake up on top for carring supplies. The canvas back will fold out with the bed sides to be used as a Tent with foam matress. I'm also thinking on adding one of the Honda 2k silent generator where you have the storage boxes on drivers side. I love what you did and great Ideas. As soon as I get my garage done In goes the Carry for Much nedded mod's He He!

Where about are you in Utah? I'm planning to come out there hunting next year for Bow Season and bringing the carry. My Daughter and son in law live out at Hill AFB. I plan on heading out NE of there close to Wyoming Boarder for 2 - 5 weeks for Bow season camping the whole time.

Gonna be great time

12. erixun

erixun Member

I, too, want a canvas cover for the bed, like a deuce and half. And with the fold out beds and tent in the back, it will look like my "jumping jack" trailer, kind of. :D

jumping jack.jpg

I am about 10 minutes south of Hill AFB. And going bow hunting in NE Utah you say. The Uinta's? I am doing a little rifle hunt next month in that area, and will post some pictures.

The generator would be cool, but I dont have one of those quiet ones yet for tent camping :(, but the generator in the toy hauler is quiet, so I guess for the time being I will have to "Rough it" a while longer. ;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  13. erixun

erixun Member

Unfortunatley no. The "base" of the tent frame is 8'x6', (LxW), they did make a smaller one years ago that might fit, it was only big enough for one wheeler, you can put two full size wheelers on top of mine, or a UTV. I just don't have the ramps to put my my mini on top. Or the balls, its "top" or bed, when folded up sits higher than a truck bed.

The top folds out and are part of the supports for the beds you sleep on, go to the website and you will see what I mean. http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/ (watch the videos in the bottom corner)

They were locally made in SLC for awhile, I guess they just sold out to Lifetime products (which has a factory in Clearfield Ut) for more national sales potential. I love the trailer, it is easy to use, fast to set up and take down. The wife likes the toy hauler better for the furnace and shower. I use the "black cat" heaters with the jumping jack. The Mr. Heater brands dont work at higher elevations because of the oxygen shut off doo-hickey.... I am rambling... sorry..

The trailer weighs about 1100lbs or so, I have used my mini truck to move it around the house etc, but not yet going up trails to camp. For any one who wants, I can take specific measurements if you want. The tent itself is just like a "Spring Bar" if you ar familiar with those, I guess they stole a guy who used to work for them. Heavy duty canvas.

14. erixun

erixun Member

Seems like a read somewhere about a company that was going to build actual campers that fit into a mini truck bed... but for the life of me cant remember where.....

15. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

16. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

WoW, and I think I just found my new home.

Attached Files:

17. erixun

erixun Member

Thanks Chicken and stuff!!!

That is where I read it!

The Steve mentioned in the article is the owner/operator of Intermountain mini trucks in Brigham City, Utah. Would be nice to have. I have not been up to Brigham City in awhile, but I have never seen one of these in person..... would like to. Maybe a trip is in order. And I think I need to go the outdoor sportsmans show in SLC next spring.... http://www.sportsexpos.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewlocation&locationnumber=7 it looks like the pictures posted were taken inside the South Towne Expo center.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  18. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Maybe I'm just dreaming!

19. erixun

erixun Member

Yeah, I am afraid to even mention it to my wife, after what I have put into this "hobby" so far, I think I would get more than daggers:D

20. Stuff99

im tempted to see if a normal truck box camper fits :D

just worries the ^ pieces on the headache rack are too tall and would require blocking...

21. erixun

erixun Member

Maybe the bed dimesions from a short bed S10, Ranger or something is about the same? And one would fit?

22. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

WOW...

I came back from being "out-and-about", and you already "morphed" into "mini-truck-camper-thread"...

What's up with that?

Your photos of your state are not only COOL, but well framed...very nice...I will be stealing some...mountain etc.;)...very nice...will look good on my wall...

You should keep your thread "CLEAN", for future use and relocate any side subjects to a secondary thread; just all IMHO...Your photo work deserves it's own venue...

I don't want to hijack your thread for my own gain, but I'm in big Barny and need some of your help, if you could check-out my super charger build thread; in performance, maybe you could help me out.

Thanks Buddy,

and keep up the cinematography;

My favorite scene, THE EDGE, with Anthony Hopkins, first 30 seconds, float plane lands...rotational shot of seclusion-cabin and battle-weary host....a master at work...makes the move "supernatural" and "foreboding".....Director: Lee Tamahori...a true life goal, never better presented....

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  23. erixun

erixun Member

Yeah the thread strayed a little, but don't worry... I am going elk and deer hunting this month.... so will get back to the "expitions" :D

And I am afraid that your supercharger build thread is above my paygrade! I am not that smart.:rolleyes:

24. Stuff99

never thought of that. measure up the wxlxh of the mini truck and find a mini camper and see if it will fit. I assume it wont because if it has an over hang over the cab it would be too tall of a cab on the mini truck.

25. erixun

erixun Member

:cool:

You know what? You sir, are RIGHT! I agree with you, everything that has to do with doing an adventure or an "expedition" :D in one of these fine trucks should be in this thread. No idea's should be shunned, never know what will pop up and give us more inspiration to tinker. Thanks!!! :cool:

26. erixun

erixun Member

Will do, I am at work today, and the pics are on my laptop at home, so tomorrow will shoot you the originals, but I am afraid I had set my camera to the lowest pixel rating on that trip :(, so they won't be that much more hi-res or better than whats on here... Maybe that will teach me to try and just take a shortcut, (ease of downloading) you never know when a shot will come out ok.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  27. erixun

erixun Member

Thought I would add pic's of another excursion made partly with the mini truck. I took the family to South Dakota this summer to the Black Hills. It was an absolute blast! If you ever get a chance to go, DO IT!

I loaded the mini truck into the toy hauler and set out from Utah to a campground by Deadwood SD. It was "Hidden Valley Campground" (I know, I know, what a shameless plug, right? But the campground was very well maintained, had good CLEAN facilities and was quiet at night, more of a "family" atmosphere than some of the other ones)

DSCF1283.JPG

This is the campground, it is far enough from the "highway"? (two lane road) that you do not hear alot of vehicle traffic.

DSCF1282.JPG

My camp

DSCF1369.JPG

There are forest service roads all over in the area, people ride their ATV's right from camp. There are maps available locally that show all the roads, we drove all over creation and had a blast!

DSCF1352.JPG

This is just a spot we stopped to look around.

DSCF1358.JPG

This is what the Black Hills looks like all over! Gorgeous!

The bottom pics are of Deadwood, we drove the mini right on Main Street, I have plates and did not even get a second look from the cops. Wild Bills "death chair" is still in the saloon were he was shot holding the aces and eights hand. Ofcourse you have to check out Mt. Rushmore!!! And there is a cool road that has tunnels carved into the mountain that frame Mt. Rushmore as you drive through it, very cool! And then a shot of some of the locals on the side of the road.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  28. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Catamount

Took the back roads to go home today. This is fun, but way to many hunters in the woods. I need to paint my truck fluorescent orange to avoid getting bullet holes. Deers are runnung all over the place to get away.Hard to turn around in some places had to do some parking brake Ueys.

Attached Files:

29. erixun

erixun Member

Wow what a month October was... I havent been on here in a while. I went elk hunting and deer hunting. Both were complete busts!!! I had some training to attend to in the middle of the elk hunt so that was a PIA. Took too long to locate the herd and figure a way to hunt them.

Sorry I did not take more photo's of some of the trail action we got, the truck is like a mule! We were too busy trying to hunt, but here is some pics I did take... enjoy. I will follow up with other pictures taken on the deer hunts as well. I pitted the truck against my brothers Yamaha Rhino... and I am glad I have my truck, the Yamaha is faster up some of the trails because of the suspension. But my truck went everywhere he did, and I hauled more stuff.... and I was WARM!

DSCF2041.JPG

DSCF2028.JPG

DSCF2047.JPG

DSCF2043.JPG

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  30. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Nice! I really want to go on a truck adventure some time... hunting would be a big bonus too :D