1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mileage?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by JRinTX, Jun 2, 2007.

1. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Looking for opinions and/or facts concerning mileage (or actually kilometerage!).

All these early 90's trucks that have 30-50,000 kilometers on them....are they really 130-150,000 kms? There is not a 100,000 place on the odometer until the later 90's models. But, you see late 90's to 2000 trucks that also have 30-50,000 kms.

Sorta hard to believe that these 15 year old trucks have been driven so little.

So what do ya'll think?

2. TurboCarry

TurboCarry New Member

RE Mileage

I agree with you about the older trucks most of the trucks I see on other dealers sights got me wondering too. I have 2 older 92-93 trucks coming in with under 20,000 miles on but I paid top dollar for em. I was assured that these 2 are actual mileage,not 100,000+. There are some on e-bay too that got me thinking maybe people are turning the odometers back. I don't know for sure don't want to make any false accusations just my thoughts.

3. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

I'm not suggesting that the odometers have been turned back, just that the kms may have gone over 100,000 and there is no way to track. In the US we have titles and odometer statements that verify the actual mileage of a vehicle when sold.
    Think about it, if a truck with 30,000 miles is 15 years old, that means it was only driven 2000 miles a year.....I do more than that in a month!!
    I have been asked this question several times by potential buyers, and I am not sure how to answer...especially when I am a little skeptical myself.

4. jon

jon New Member Supporting Member

Do you think they drive them a lot over in Japan. Most of the people there don't own cars, they just walk and ride a bike, but it is hard to believe that there would only be that many miles on them.

I asked this in the other forum, how come they are all in there early 90's?

5. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Jon,

I have wondered the same thing. I assume it has something to do with a 10 or 15 year old milestone. Perhaps registeration in Japan is on a scale that depends on age. After some point (maybe 15 years), it is more economically feasible to sale the vehicle. I have heard this theory from others and it may be true.

Any ideas or other info out there?

6. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

I don't think they are over 100k miles. There are several tell-tale signs...the seat would be worn out, the pedal covers would have more wear on them and so on. All the trucks I get are Class A trucks...which are the lowest mileage....I have never had ONE leak a drop of anything...so if they were actually 100k+ miles I would think something would be leaking.

As far as the year models go...newer than the early 90s are available to most dealers but they are not cost effective.....the cost of importing the newer ones would put them out of the ATV competition market in the US. So most dealers tend to order the older ones with low mileage so they can compete against the MULE, GATOR, RHINO and such.