1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mileage on many year old trucks

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by web365ster, Nov 29, 2022.

1. web365ster

web365ster New Member

Looking for opinions concerning mileage (or actually kilometer age).

All these early 90's trucks that have 30-50,000 kilometers on them....are they really 130-150,000 kms? There is not a 100,000 place on the odometer until the later 90's models. But, you see late 90's to 2000 trucks that also have 30-50,000 kms.

Sorta hard to believe that these many year old trucks have been driven so little.

So what do ya'll think?

2. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

The older ones probably rolled over since they only have 5 digits. My 96 Every van has 6 digits and had 78,o00 km on the odo. It was used hard and I suspect had actually more miles. I wonder if its common for owners to disconnect the odometer to keep taxes low or something? I'm with you, not sure I really believe the mileage on most of these. I know I have heard of rollbacks on some JDM imports so could be that as well.

3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

I would tend to believe that older than 2000 would have rolled over at least once, and older ones possible even 2 times. The 2002 suzuki I owned had a 6 digit odo and showed 259,xxx Kms when I gave it to my Son In Law earlier this year. I sold a 1962 Ford F100 in 2010 in Arizona that the odometer had been rolled over at least 4 times. I didn't buy it new so can't verify prior to my ownership.

Fred

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The best clue to determining if a 5-digit odometer has turned over is to look at general condition of the common wear points. Is the upholstery looking used? Do the window riser handles have smooth areas? What kind of shape are door seals, and other rubber in? And, finally what condition are the pedal pads in? This is probably the most revealing. If the pads are heavily worn but the odometer is showing low usage, it has probably turned over. If it has brand new pads with very little wear they have probably been replaced in an attempt to hide the high usage.

My 94 S110, had 28,000k on the odometer when I got it. It does have a 6-digit odometer.

Based on the slightly used, condition of the pedals, I think that it was an accurate representation of the actual distance the truck had been run.

5. udidwht

udidwht Member

My 1990 Try XS SC with 52,xxx kilometers was immaculate inside and out. The headliner even looks new not a mark or scratch on it. All the interior carpet, rubber mats, door rubber looks new. People in Japan do not drive like we do in the USA (long distance trips). They use trains. A commercial vehicle might be the exception. Speed limits on highways in Japan are 80KPH mostly.

6. Mini marshal

Mini marshal New Member

All those wear post can be replace . I wonder also.. but they are fun to have....... lol