1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mighty mits or minicab...who's who

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by oldsnowman, Aug 19, 2008.

1. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

hi everyone
    i have a 92 mitsu 4V 4x4 4sp rhd model U42T from japan, and the dealers up here in canada are calling my truck a mighty mits, and they are saying i can't get any parts, but all the info i have is that it is called a minicab. anyone have info on the differance, and maybe a parts catalog for it or where i can get one?

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i think the mighty mits was the LHD that was imported to the US... and the mini cab is the RHD JDM model.

i'm guessing that by dealers you mean Mitsubishi dealers not mini truck dealers? i don't know if they were imported to canada, so the "dealers" there may not be able to get you much.

3. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i have been doing some research on this and the mitsu's that came to USA seem to range from U12T to U18T taged offroad use only. even though these trucks look like mine that where it ends. engine, drive lines, and even diffs are different. well it makes it a little more fun to find stuff, this forum has really helped...thanks eveybody!!
    wyatt

4. Subaru

Subaru Member

What sorta parts are you looking for?
    Check with your exporter,if they cannot help,they should be able to recommend someone who they may supply parts with;)

5. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i found G&R imports on this forum and have ordered a few things, but i am trying to find a new center console, joe at GR said he can get one so if i can't find one before winter i will get one from him.
    thanks
    wyatt

6. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i have been looking at all the great pictures you guys have been putting on this site and more and more i think there is less and less parts that are the same but the sheet metal ;)
    i have just been looking at the pic's that i think Dan had about his 3 speed-4 speed trans and it does not look like mine at all. i was also reading a post about a fellow having problems with fitting a wheel over his auto locking hubs...mine does not have that, the axle just comes through like a front wheel drive car with a nut on the end and the front diff shifts in and out of 4wd.
    this is all very interesting how a manufacturer can put so many different parts in the same truck.
    i am now on a mission...to take all the pictures i can of everything on my truck so you guys can see what i have...
    wyatt

7. Mini4WD

Mini4WD Member

Wyatt.. my Mitsubishi is a RHD U15T and is called a MMC. It does have the front auto-locking hub that comes through the wheel just like on a Jeep which does make it a little harder to find aftermarket wheels because if the 3 1/4 center hub hole. It has the 550cc engine with a supercharger. My truck also has a little MMC decal on the tailgate that I presume was put on factory by Mitsubishi.

[​IMG]

8. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

nice picture, it looks new...what year is it? the MMC stands for Mitsubishi Motor Company. is your supercharger belt driven or gear?
    wyatt

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  9. Mini4WD

Mini4WD Member

I wasn't sure what the MMC stood for. I sort of thought it might stand for Mitsubishi Mini Cab or Mitsubishi Motor Company. I just re-checked my tail gate and it also has a decal that says MINICAB MIGHTY. I also have the 350kg carbon tag. The guy I bought the truck from told me it was a 1990 model but I'm thinking its maybe a 1989 model. The photo I posted was taken just after I got it home and cleaned it up. The only thing I touched up was the wheels. The supercharger is belt driven. Not too bad for the $1800 price I paid compared to a lot of the prices I see out there.

10. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

that is too cool!!...you got to send me some pictures of that supercharger, maybe i can get it on my truck:D
    i found a good picture of the wheels i am putting on my truck, no tires yet but they will be in at the end of oct.
    wyatt

Attached Files:

• 20.JPG
      20.JPG
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
    • 21.JPG
      21.JPG
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
  11. Mini4WD

Mini4WD Member

Good looking wheels.. Are they 14"? What type and size tires are you going to mount? Will you also need a lift kit with the new tires?

12. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

they are 14"...i have done a lot of research on this, and if you want to run on the street with out a lift or any body mods this is the only wheel and tire set-up
    (14x6" offset +35 165/60-14). this clears everything underneath with no body mods and still gives you a .6" tire increase so the engine runs a little slower on the high way. the tires are a little hard to get, i found mine through car modifier and should be by the end of Oct.
    wyatt

13. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Are you sure about the "carbon" output, remember were talking about '90's vehicles here.
    I don't think anyone was thinking carbon output back then.
    I think you will find that it is the load capacity of the truck - 350kg or 771.6 lbs.
    All the brands have the same sticker BTW on the back on them.

14. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Wyatt, Just cause you can stick 2000 lbs on it doesn't mean that it meets the manufactor specs.
    Japan is highly regulated, please see attached .jpeg of my Export Certicate and tell me how much
    it says under "maxim. carry" - it's the seond row from the top near the center.
    350 kg maybe? More than a coincidence? I don't think so.

Also don't you think that it's strange if it's "carbon output" that all the brands put out exactly the same amount of carbon?
    Being that some are carbed, some are EFI and some have S/C and the HP's are different?

More likely the "tour guide" misunderstood the question or your son misinterpreted his answer.

Attached Files:

15. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Hi all,

When you see the "350kg" on the tailgate of your truck, that is stating the maximum capacity of the vehicle, not carbon emmissions. All trucks on the road in Japan have their maximum capacity stated on their rear tailgate or rear panel.

There is a sticker on most newer model passenger vehicles that state their gas efficiency. These stickers use the 1-4 star rating, with 1 being the least and 4 being the most.

When you think about it, how could the manufacturer state how many kgs of carbon is emitted by a particular vehicle? Carbon emmissions is based on how much the vehicle is driven. I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  16. 3banger

3banger Member

Hi guys,

Mini4wd, my 1989 Mits van has the same hubs as yours and is a 1989. It is LHD with a stock 800cc.