1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michigan Dealers

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Ran440, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Hey all
    Looking for a local dealer to get a new mini from. Did a search. Not coming up with anything local, Flint Michigan. My 95 Suzuki is getting pretty rusty and I just rolled 100,000 km. Still runs great, but I would really like to get a brand new one. Current truck is street legal and the new one will have to be too. Even if I had to put up with a speed limiter per Mi laws.
    Thanks, Randy

2. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

I just got a 91 Acty but I could not find anyone in Michigan that had them for reasonable prices. The ones that I found for sale didn't have a title or the paperwork to get a title either. I ended up having to drive out to Pennsylvania to get one. I can give you the information of the guy that I bought mine from if you would like.

3. Ran440

Ran440 Member

I know of dealers outside of Michigan, but the problem is making sure I can get it plated in Michigan. Don't want any hang ups going state to state.
    Planned on getting one from Gung Ho trucks in Jackson Mi, but lately their site has been down and haven.t been able to reach Bob the owner.
    So looking for other suppliers in Mi that can sell me a new truck titled for street use. In Mi that would be a LSV.

4. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

The guy that I bought mine from sells his with all the paperwork to get it titled as a vehicle or for a little bit more he'll title it in Pennsylvania and it'll just be a standard title transfer. I went with him titling it so I didn't have to worry about anything but from what I've read as long as you have the proper forms it shouldn't be too difficult to get it road legal here in Michigan.

5. Ran440

Ran440 Member

You say you got a title. Did you get it plated here in Mi. ?

6. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

I actually just got it titled today. The guy that I bought it from filed all the paperwork to get a PA title but it seems that it got lost in the mail. The guy I bought it from gave me copies of all the forms that I needed to get it plated. The hard part was actually getting someone to insure it. The forms that you need to get it plated are here http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-48268_48268-179823--F,00.html

I went down to the SOS earlier with all the paperwork and got it done in about 40 minutes. It was a first for all of the people working there but we got it figured out. The only hangup that we had was trying to figure out was the original selling price of the truck was for registration cost purposes. I found a link that said that a new one goes for about $12k so she said that she would just take a few thousand off that!

7. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Very Cool. And thanks for the link.

8. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

No Problem. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

9. OTFD122

OTFD122 New Member

What dealer did you use? I’m in MI as well and looking to buy a mini soon but would like it road legal - which I’m finding can be somewhat difficult here. Would love a “streamlined” process of just doing a title transfer (the less paperwork, the better!)

Thanks!

10. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

unusual-auto.com is where I bought mine.

11. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Thanks for sharing their web address. Went there and they seem to have a lot of nice trucks, but really looking to get a new truck. 2017 or 18.
    Also prefer to buy as local as possible.

12. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

Not sure how to go about getting one newer than 25 years old. Good luck!

13. matt167

matt167 Active Member

looks like that guy just buys off of Be-Forward.jp and links his stock through that.. You can buy off Be- Forward directly and save his $1,500 service fees... I was actually looking through his stock, since I'm thinking about a 660 turbo Jimny, until I realised one of the cars had a Be- forward tire cover, so I checked the chassis number, and yup it's for sale on Be-forward. He's not really a scam but it's, scummy really.

FWIW, Be Forward sells bottom of the barrel cars, and there biggest market is Africa where quality does not matter. For the same money you can buy off Pacific Coast Auto and get something nice from the auctions..

You won't find brand new trucks unless they are EPA certified and they would need titled through the old mini truck laws

14. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

Yeah It's been a learning experience. My friend wants one and I think that I'm just going to do it myself. It's nice not having to worry about any of the importing process but I don't think that it's worth the price.

15. Ran440

Ran440 Member

That is exactly what Gung Ho Trucks was selling. Brand new EPA certified trucks. The only drawback was because of Michigan law they had to be speed limited to 25 mph when plated for the street. Without title no speed limiter.

16. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

What law are you talking about? From my research I didn't see any laws that Michigan has directly towards MiniTrucks.

17. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I'm guessing titled as an ATV. Some states allow the trucks to be titled as ATV/ RTV type vehicles which can have laws like that. Others can be titled as a golf cart

According to IIHS, there is no law in MI directly related to mini trucks.

18. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The law for less 25-year old vehicles, is an EPA issue. Since they haven’t been emission certified they can’t typically be licensed in the USA in any state. That’s why most importers to the US import primarily 25-year old vehicles.

You can import the newer vehicles, but to get an EPA waiver, they have to be speed limited to less than 25-mph. Depending on what limiters are installed, they can be hard or easy to bypass.

19. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Not exactly. Epa law is actually 21 yrs exempt. The DOT law is 25yrs. So trucks newer than 21 years need cert for epa. Speed limit because they do not comply with DOT.

20. Ran440

Ran440 Member

I think Matt167 has a pretty good handle on the epa / speed limiter thing.
    Still looking for a dealer who is selling "new" trucks with epa certs that I can plate in Mi.
    Preferably a dealer in Mi.
    And thanks for your interest in my thread

21. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

In my search before I bought mine i didn't find anyone in Michigan that sold for on road use. Good luck.

22. AwesomeSauce

AwesomeSauce New Member

23. Try RSM in Jackson, Michigan. Got my 2017 Suzuki from them in May.