1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanic Needed

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Hawkib, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Hawkib

Hawkib New Member

Looking for someone in the Quincy, IL area that does mechanical work on Honda ACTY truck. Would even consider the St. Louis area. Work needed: valve cover gaskets, not getting power to fuel pump.

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

Why do you think its not getting power to the fuel pump? I ask because the if you just turn the key on the pump doesn't get power. It gets power when you turn the key to start and once the engine starts the pump will run as needed. The fuel line to the carb is on the left side, it connects to a fitting just under the bed of the truck. If you disconnect it from the fitting and connect another line and run it to a jug and have someone crank the key you'll see if the pump is running.

3. Hawkib

Hawkib New Member

Thanks for that. It does appear that fuel is pumping. Any other idea for me to check out as I cannot locate anyone to work on one of this things here in West Central Illinois. Truck was running fine. I parked in the shed, the next day, it turns over but does not start. Doesn't even sound like it wants to start. Always fired right up before. Thanks for any advice.

4. OldMachinist

The first thing I'd try is a little starting fluid. Take the air cleaner cover off, unscrew the wing nut holding the filter on, remove the filter and give a spray into the carburetor. If it tries to start then you know you've got spark and its not getting fuel. If it doesn't try to start on starting fluid then you need to check if its getting fire to the spark plugs. Pull a spark wire off and stick another plug on the wire, ground the hex part to the valve cover and have someone try to start it. You should see a nice blue spark if you're in the shade. Try these things and post back the results.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  5. Hawkib

Hawkib New Member

I did check the spark plugs, cleaned them up and yes they were firing. I did notice a bit of oil on the plugs. Cleaned them and put back in. So they are firing and gas is getting pumped to the carb. I will try the ether trick now and get back to you. Thanks so much!

6. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

I don't know if this will help or not....
    because I am so new to these things...

But I had the same problem when I first got the truck

Was running fine
    Then suddenly poof!! no starting

Spun the motor just fine, just would not fire

Turned out to be a blown fuse
    I wish I could tell you which one or what it was for
    but I don't read japanese
    I don't have a manual

I only knew that there was an electrical issue because my radio was dead too

banged my on the darn steering wheel a dozen times ( I still have the bruises ) trying to get under there checking all the fuses

In the end
    I pulled and replaced every fuse

That solved it

Never figured out which one it was
    The fuses looked good
    But one of them was toast

This was the 1st week I had the truck

Just trying to help

7. caraman

caraman Member

That's great to know, thanks!

8. OldMachinist

There is a fuel shut off solenoid on the side of the carburetor. The wire to it should have 12V + anytime the key is in the run or start position. It's the wire with the black tubing on it in this picture. The wire with the green tubing is for the air cut off solenoid. The connector pulls apart at the red arrow so you can check for power.
    [​IMG]

9. Hawkib

Hawkib New Member

Thanks for the info, OldMachinist. I will try it out this weekend. I wanted to ask if you work on these Honda trucks. I see from the mini-truck map on facebook that you are located in my part of the world. I know that I have other issues with this motor - oil on the plugs, etc. My truck needs a good mechanic! :)

10. OldMachinist

I've worked on my truck as needed and I do any wrenching that needs done on any of my other vehicles, tractors, lawn mowers and etc. I do have relatives and neighbours that also bring me things to work on so if we are unable to get your truck running thru postings and you can get it to me I would be willing work on it. I would think that you could find someone willing to work on it around you. There's really nothing that special about the engine in these trucks and any good machanic should be able to work on it. Have you tried ATV or motorcycle shops.

11. Hawkib

Hawkib New Member

Thanks, I'll stay in touch and try your suggestions this weekend. I have tried about every auto, motorcycle, adn ATV shop in my area and they won't even consider it. I did have a local mechanic look at it last week and he said he didn't understand why it wouldn't start. Most here have never seen such a vehicle as this and it scares them.

12. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

We are not as close as you would like but you can either bring it down here or give us a call and talk to one of our technicians. We have a lot of knowledge with these trucks and would be glad to help you out.

13. Hawkib

Hawkib New Member

Okay, checked the power to the fuel solenoid. It does have power. Matter of fact, you could here the click when plugging back together. Also checked the other connetion there, it had power as well and you could also here it click. So those are working. I then went under the truck to check the power to the fuel pump. I pulled the wires apart and my son then cranked the engine over. It started right up, just like it always did. I plugged the fuel pump wire back together. Let the truck idle for a few minutes, shut it off, restarted fine. Great! It's working. Put engine cover back on and started it up, no problem, decided to take it for drive. Got in, stepped down on the gas pedal - it choked out and almost died, let off the gas and it idled fine. This happend maybe four time before it started working properly. I then drove down the lane, about 1/2 mile and stopped in the driveway and shut it off. I was so excited it was working fine. Then I tried one more time to start it and guess what, back to turning over and not firing. It will not start. I pulled all the same wires apart and put them back together. I sprayed starter fluid into the carb, nothing. Doesn't even act like it wants to start.

14. Hawkib

Hawkib New Member

can you also rebuild rear cv joint?

15. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww KRAP!!

I feel your pain!

Just a thought, cause I actually had one....

Did you check to see ( while it is not starting ) if there is fuel actually physically moving to the carb?

Not just that the pump "sounds" like its pumping.

16. Hawkib

Hawkib New Member

Thanks! Yes, pulled the hose off at the carb and fuel was running.

17. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

Dang !!
    Trying to be thorough....

It sound kinda like what happens to a lawn mower ( and mine has been compared to one ) when you either get bad gas
    or
    when float bowl is messed up
    like gummed up or seized

Don't know enough to know if these little trucks have that kind of system, but I suspect they do

18. OldMachinist

I really hate problems that seem intermittent like this they can drive you crazy.
    Lets start from beginning again we know its getting fuel and I assume its still got spark so the next thing would be if its flooding out(too much fuel). You said the spark plugs looked like they were wet maybe it was fuel not oil. Pull the plugs again and see if they're wet and smell like gas. Also you can see if the tailpipe smells of fuel. I flooded mine out one time when I was working on the carb and I had to let it sit overnight with the plugs out so it could dry out before it would start. If its flooding out the float may be stuck or the needle and seat may have some crap stuck in it.
    If you are not familiar with working on carburetors it may be time to get some help. Bringing it to me or Mike at G&R is about the same amount of travel time. I'm a hour east of St. Louis and he's a little more than a hour south. G&R would have better access to parts if it needs something as I would have to order and wait for them.