1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mazda Scrum Same as Carry should I purchase?

Discussion in 'Mazda Scrum' started by Shrimp Daddy, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Hello all,
    I'm yet another new guy to the forum and have searched and read the forum extensively to gain knowledge of mini trucks. Thank you guys so much for your information and knowledge.

I am ready to take the plunge and have decided on a Suzuki Carry with a dump. I contacted the local dealer and he has a Mazda for sale. It is a 1995, 5 speed, 4x4 with about 65k kilometers. The price is $5500.00. I will also have a local mechanic from a transmission shop available for any future repairs if needed. The truck has no dump and the dealer says he has been purchasing fewer dump models because people do not want to pay the higher price of $6500 for these trucks. I would guess I could fold down the side or rear for unloading material such as dirt or stone.

This is where it gets fuzzy. He said it was a Mazda Climber. He must have his wires crossed because I can not find a Mazda climber searching google.

My questions are:

If indeed this is a Mazda Scrum, will I be able to buy Suzuki carry parts, wheels, lifts etc. for this truck?

Should I ask for him to order me a dump box and pay the extra? Will it really be that much of a benefit?
    Shrimp Daddy

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Here's my .02c:

• Not sure on "Mazda Climber" - there's a Diahatsu Hijet Climber and Honda Acty Attack. What make's these special? Standard rear diff lock and usually have lower gearing in forward and reverse [Attack has two reverse gears]. My guess is that it has a diff lock on it but other than that it's same as rest of kei trucks. p.s. don't let him tell you axle lock locks up the front axle like a posi or LSD - it does not.
    • I would think all your critical parts i.e. drive train and engine are the same as Carry, just might be some interior or outside badging that's different.
    • I would check on what his price on dump is and compare it to the sponsors price here. It might be a good deal or it might not.
    • Try it with out the dump then if you really need it then you could get it from a sponsor is another option.

Good Luck:)

3. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Yup, Mazda and Suzuki are identical. Different front badge, steering wheel and decals. Otherwise, same truck.

$6500 for a good dump truck is a steal IMO. I would just up and get the dump personally. (Again, if the truck is good) The aftermarket kits can run up to $2000 + installation.

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Did you get it yet?

-Greg

5. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

They haven't been able to find a shipper/hauler to run it up my way yet. I'm waiting with baited breath. It's a Suzi and not from the dealer in the original post. Santa, are you sure you didn't have one more present that maybe you forgot to drop off?

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

He he he. Its small but I don't think it would have fit in his sled.:D It will get there sooner or later. Stay calm. Think of it this way... After you get it all the anticipation will go away and thats the best part. Good luck.

-Greg

7. Scrumoftheearth

Scrumoftheearth New Member

Scrum v Carry

Greetings! I live in the Philippines and have a Mazda/ Autozam Scrum.
    It is a van, not a pickup. AT, AC power steering, windows, door locks, cloth seats.
    You are right when talking about pickups that the only difference between Mazda, and Suzuki is the logo.
    Scrum is a designation for a turbo charged 660cc HERE. I have been here more than 4 years, and have not yet seen a Scrum pickup.
    Turbo charged motors are also EFI, with a fuel rail, injectors, and the normal fuel injected engine parts, and works the same way, just dont put a plastic bodied filter in it as it might burst unless you KNOW for sure what pressure the filter is rated for.
    ALSO the square or cats eye as they are known here only have up and down adjustments, I had mine changed to round, a 77 Ford F150 pickup light should fir the holder. The built in prisms of the Japanese lights focus the light into on coming traffic. Off road they are good cause you can put a brighter buld ( 90/100 verses standard 55/60 watt) Just keep off road at night with them.