1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 vs Maxxis Ceros? Tire help!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Inane2, May 8, 2013.

1. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hey guys,

Soon after I purchased my truck, I realized the stock tires weren’t cutting it out in the field. Kei trucks became “street legal” in Kentucky back in June 2011. I wanted the maximum performance off road but also wanted to keep it somewhat “streetable”, basically I was looking for the best of both worlds. I settled on importing a set of Yokohama Super Digger II in the stock size of 145/R12. Awesome little tire, 6 ply, appropriate load rating, excellent in the mud and drive perfectly on the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, after many insurance woes, I have decided not to register / insure my truck for street use and keep it on the farm. With that said, I’m going to change my strategy and run an ATV / UTV style tire. These UTV’s are getting larger and heavier every day and almost everyone now offers a 4 seater version of their particular model. Some even offer a decent payload in their little plastic beds. :D

I’ve been studying up on the Maxiss Big Horn 2.0 found here:

http://www.maxxistire.com/MotorcycleATV/ATV-Utility/MU09-Bighorn-20-Front.aspx

I had this tire on a little Kawasaki Mule 610XC and loved it. Radial, 6 ply and plenty aggressive.

However, this tire caught my eye as well, the Maxiss Ceros:

http://www.maxxistire.com/MotorcycleATV/ATV-Utility/MU07-Ceros-Front.aspx

I’m not planning on a lift of any nature and want to stick with the popular size of 23x8x12. There is a noticeable difference in the load ratings between the two models in this particular size. After more research into some UTV’s, several are running the Big Horn 2.0, but in a taller tire which then offers a more adequate load rating.

Personal reviews, comments, suggestions please on these two tires.

In the mean time, I’m going to have to find something to do with these Diggers. I’ve put a whopping 72 km’s (or 45 miles) on them since I’ve had them. They still have the little rubber tits on them.

Thanks!

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I'd say the second ones only because of the psi rating.

I run 17 and 7 but that's partialy because I run 11" wide in the rear.

If it was me, I'd be getting two for the fronts and a set of duallys in the rear.

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I've had both sets of these tires on my truck. Both tires have great all-terrain traction. Both tires are 6 ply rated. I beat the crap out of my big horns and never had a problem with them. The ceros however... I have replaced two from punctures. 1 within the first mile very light driving and the second within the next 25 of hard core wheeling. I like the way the ceros looks but to be honest I question their ability to resist punctures. Although they were used on two different drive train configurations so that may have a bit to do with it. If you haven't driven with ATV tires on your truck I can tell you that the extra flotation will cause a lot of under steer.

Hope this helps,
    -Greg

**EDIT** I had the original big horn radial not the 2.0

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

There you go. See, I didn't know that.
    To me PSI in the 20ish range is important; although I'm running 17 on the "titans" 24x8x12, rated for 7, 25 bead seat.

I'd feel better with a 6ply rated @18 though, but not if it blows-out with any little nothing picked up from a gravel road...

I run 80kph @ 17psi on the titans, a few seasons, on gravel...no problems.

For a slow crawl, on the farm. I still say the high pressure in the fronts, duallys in the rear.
    Woodie? Member here has the mod adapter for that. Who knows; you may be able to mod up an 11" dually...44 inches of tire in the rear...
    Adjustable floatation, maximum traction. Can't hurt to ask...

NB, by the way, the Interceptor rides like a catty @ 80KPH on gravel with the 24x8x12...24x11x12....17&7...TITANS..;)

Under-steer? Can't say; cu'z I got the Jamar...

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I agree. There is no way you can get away with the recommended 7psi on the big horn with these trucks. I ran mine at about double that.

Purely based on psi and load ratings I would go with the ceros and disregard my experience. Maybe I just have really bad luck. My puncture in the first mile, if that, was driving in a farm field. I walked the tracks multiple times to see if I had ran over some metal or something and the only thing I came up with was there were many saplings about 1/4" in diameter that had been bush hogged with sharpened ends. Its got me worried though since it has happened twice. Also both times it was punctured through a knob in the tread not in between the knobs like you would think. I'm running the 27x11r15 ceros with the load rating of 1047lbs at 18psi. I wouldn't think its a load issue. I've got bead locks so running them at about 10psi. Do you think running them up to 18 would help increase puncture resistance? I'm thinking not.

Personally I would just stick with the yokohamas if your just going for farm use and the occasional back road.

6. Norris

Norris New Member

I purchased a front set of carilie 489 xt 25x8x12. I've got a shake at 35 mph. Had stock set of tire on it and drove nice. Wondering if the 489 tire is not supporting the weight being a soft tire.

7. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Might just need to balance them Norris....... I've ran Carlisle on mine. Same ones you have. Very nice ride even up to 75kmh. Just not enough lug or wide enough for me. Now I have Titan tires with chevron style tread and run the front at 9 and the rear at 7. I've ran over just about everything imaginable and been ok so far ( knocking on wood just to be safe). If I was you, inane2......I would keep those tires you have and run the air as low as well you can without too much bulge and I bet they do fine for you. I'm going to see if I can get them up here. I really like that tire. Look like they would do great in the snow for driving on roads. No tire plow. My front and rear are 10.5 wide. Plows a bit but goes where I have no business being haha