1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making mini trucks street legal in ky.

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by TriCountyRe, Oct 1, 2008.

1. TriCountyRe

TriCountyRe New Member

I am curently working on getting these trks street legal here in ky. My state rep. is to come by next week for a demo. After speaking with a man at g&r imports and discovered that oklahoma has passed some type of law to this effect. I need all the info. I can get to help me get this done . If anyone has a copy of oklahoma law or any other info. please post or email. Here is my number also 1-270-692-2341. Thank You , Lynn Wimsatt

2. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

its oklahoma bill 1998 if that helps.

3. racker

racker New Member

4. TriCountyRe

TriCountyRe New Member

hb243 in ky

I know about this bill but it only allows for a 45mph posted rd,which to me is useless. We need to see this go up to 55mph rd.

5. TriCountyRe

TriCountyRe New Member

oklahoma bill question

I know they said no interstate but I haven't seen what mph rd. they will be allowed on . Anyone know the answer to this ? thanks for all the info.

6. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Hey this might be a little off topic but maybe not...

I confirmed yesterday in my county and the surrounding 4, and was told the whole state of Indiana...all you have to do is send in a bill of sale with completed DNR paperwork and $15 , and you get stickers to put on your truck to make it legal on all County roads with no speed restriction, other than obviously not exceeding the posted speed limit. The mini trucks are classified as UTV's or whatever (Mule's , Rangers, etc...) same class. No title is needed, just bill of sale.
    You can drive on all county roads, and can only "cross" state highways.

Wondering if this is the same in KY ???

This could also be a good base to have them "more legal" on other roads, etc...

Anyways, just confirmed that yesterday then saw this thread... Had to share it.

7. I know I'm going to shunned for saying this, but the more efforts put into trying to make this trucks legal the more likely it will be that they are banned all together.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  8. dmerc

dmerc Member

I don't understand your reasoning? You mean as far as being legally imported?
    Your business would skyrocket if these were street legal.

I read that the new bailout plan being voted on, is now 450 pages, and ANOTHER 100 billion added on to appease lawmakers, and get their vote.

Maybe we coulda' got mini trucks street legal in page 451?:D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  9. It absolutely would go through the roof, but again, they don't have DOT or EPA approval for normal driving use. There's a good chance that if they became street legal everywhere one of these two depts. would lock it down and there would be no more imports of kei trucks. My point is i'm happy with them being what they are and being able to sell them for a long time, and not doing anything to jeopardize that

10. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Well if they were legal everywhere, why would the EPA or DOT do anything to prevent anything to go any further? Wouldn't they change their stance or rules or whatever and "ok" the trucks? I mean thats gotta be just as possible if not more than just banning them ...or not??

Are the Rangers, Mules, etc... EPA and DOT approved?

I mean I kinda understand your point, but then again everything has to start out small to succeed....???

Just curious............

11. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

yes the side by sides are epa approved and have a certain DOT approval for offroad... that was my arguement here in arizona, and they showed me that they have a certification for off-road use and they have to pass emission. the emissions test is idle only, but they still have to be checked.

12. dmerc

dmerc Member

call me naive, or just plain dumb, but how many emissions can a little 660-3 cyl. put out? If I converted my Carry to EV, I've no doubt they still wouldn't approve it.

And, I posted this already, in another thread, but this is from a fellow Bandit rider who imported his bike to Japan:

Quote:....Yeah Japan has gotten strict on their emissions even though i am just a visitor we have no SOFA agreement on vehicles and such so we have to follow their rules and they require and emissions check and inspection every two years. for their emissions you actually drop your bike off and they keep it for two days and run a test when its cold and then a test when its hot. now this will blow your mind, the emission test costs about $950 US and the Inspection is about $150 US for the two years. end quote>

Now, does it actually look like we need to worry about emissions on any Japanese vehicle?? :frustration:

13. dmerc

dmerc Member

I understand a Dealer worrying about stopping them altogether, and, with the influx of China's li'l 3 wheel trucks, I think THEY, will be the worst thing that ever happened to micro type vehicles.

14. Mighty Milt

that is the exact point i've been trying to make with arizona. my truck not only passed emissions, it is also OBD compliant. that means it plugged right into their machines. the EPA is dead wrong about the emissions on these, but they have made their ruling and that is why they are supposed to be limited to 25mph to keep pollutants down.

that is not the reason i have had trouble getting mine registered. it's more because it's rhd and has not been federally inspected and made compliant with current FMVSS (federal motor vehicle safety standards). 1999 american vehicles were mandated to have air bags. my truck doesn't have them that's a big problem for safety.

even though these trucks are imported for "off road use only" the mvd here in arizona has told me that it is, in fact, a road vehicle which negates the option of registering as an ATV.

things here are changing though. through working with MVD and people that actually know the laws and regulations they are now allowing these to be registerd as an ATV with the original import papers. the hardest thing i have run into was the lack of knowledge and have realized that if it doesn't fit neatly into a mold it's easier to say NO than to do research.

15. racker

racker New Member

TriCountyRe,

The 45 mph is in Section 2:"SECTION 2. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 189 IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:
    (1) As used in this section, "low-speed electric vehicle" shall have the same meaning as in Section 1 of this Act.
    (2) A person may operate a low-speed electric vehicle on a highway if:
    (a) The posted speed limit of the highway is thirty-five (35) miles per hour or less;
    "
    The Mini Truck is Section 3. "SECTION 3. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 189 IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:
    (1) As used in this section, "mini-truck" shall have the same meaning as in Section 1 of this Act.
    (2) A person with a valid operator's license in his or her possession may operate a mini-truck on a highway.
    (3) A mini-truck shall not be operated on the interstate.
    "
    They way I have read the House Bill, only the electric vehicle is governed by the 35 mph resection. Section 2 and Section 3 are separate. Ask you State Rep to find out if this is not true. I would like to know if I am reading this wrong.

Thanks

16. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Street legal Minis

Fremontminitrucks not only has a valid point, but the depth of his perception of the situation is outstanding. Legalizing across the board will open up the floodgates of bureacracy that our Government is so capable of initiating, God knows what might happen. For now, Minis are nothing but a mosquito on the wall, wait to be squished. It is simplistic to think that DOT would not get involved if this Industry grows past UTV status. Would I love to be able to tell my customers that they can drive thier trucks anywhere? Hell yes. I can tell you with complete certainity, that if DOT gets involved, these trucks would have to be completely redesigned with at least 5 mph front crash worthyness and a gas tank that is protected by something other than an Aluminum License plate and God only knows what else. If 1 death is attributed to a front end collision somewhere in small town America, the wrath of the idiots that we have elected will be swift and final.

We need to stay under the radar for a bit longer. We need to get these truck in the hands of our Municipalities, Fire Depts, Schools etc. and have those folks on our side if and when the **** eventually hits the fan. Please remember that, at least in my case, our vast majority of clients are farmers, Companies, and School Corporations that don't give a Rat's *** if their trucks are legalized.

So.....If you can get 45 mph, go for it. Remember, small step first and stay under the Radar

I will completely understand if some of you jump down my throat for this unpopular view, but so be it.

Ten years ago I attempted to import Italian toilets. They were incredibly beautiful and worked perfectly and saved a ton of water. After many Thousands of dollars spent on testing to assure that they met the code, which they satisfied, the Govt said no, and gave no reason. Case closed.
    Importation of our trucks could be stopped tomorrow if one idiot gets a burr up his *** at DOT....Remember that.

Chuck in Indy

17. Mighty Milt

Chuck,

there is a lot of validity to your response and i totally agree. i think you made a great point of getting them into "offical" roles then they will be on our sides for mainting the legality of them. i know one of the dealers here in phoenix is working with the city and state as a supplier of the mini trucks for that reason and has made a lot of headway in legalizing them to be registered as an ATV. as i have said many times in the past i can not take my truck to any BLM maintained recreation areas without having registration or it will be impounded... that has been my main fuel for fighting as long as i have to get it legal for off road.

18. myazel

myazel Member

I am one of those farm guys and for now use a SMV sign and stay under 25 which is the current rule in Indiana for farm vehicles. I think that will have to change though as I followed a tractor a while back pulling a honey wagon down a highway at almost 40mph. My county road use is limited about a mile frm the house to bring back firewood and sap in the spring for making syrup. Both fall under the guidelines for farm use and considering the loads I haul I won't even see 20mph. I intend to operate within the law and might register it as an ATV as my county has that rule also which would allow me more freedom.
    I am looking into doing a possible EV conversion on a Sambar in the future if I could then license it as a "Homebuilt" in Indiana. Again if this would be within the letter of the law and completely legal in my state. I will let you all know what I find out on the Homebuilt law.

19. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Homebuilts

Homebuilts, long ignored by the DOT and all of the States, has recently come under the evil eye of both the DOT and the State of Indiana. I am already looking back just a few years and calling them the "Good old Days". Be prepared to drop your shorts on just about anything over there, and make sure you arm yourself with a valid Insurance policy.

Good Luck , and keep all of us informed.

Chuck in Indy

20. dmerc

dmerc Member

Amen on the insurance!! If your homeowners covers it, it's very likely like mine was:> ONLY while on your own property!:cool:

Just the thought of an accident without liability ins, was enough to keep me off the road, till I found it!!!:eek:

21. TriCountyRe

TriCountyRe New Member

I understand your point about not licensing them. My concern is this these vehicles would be a small piece of the puzzle to help free us from foriegn oil. Our legislators want to shout they know how to do this yet none are actually doing anything of any substance. Our leadres need to be shown that the rest of the world uses these trks with great success and so can we. This country keeps talking about making a change ,now lets quit talking and do something .Obviously these trks are not as safe as our vehicles but let that be the individuals choice. They claim women have the right to decide if the child they are carrying lives or dies so I think this pales in comparison by anyones standards to abortion .

22. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Maybe someone on this site could donate a mini truck to one of the candidates as a campaign vehicle? They could throw candy to kids and tie balloons on it?....get some exposure ya know ?

:D

23. dmerc

dmerc Member

After the past few weeks, and especially TODAY, Politicians can all kiss my ***!

I wouldn't let those idiots drive my mower!

24. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Idiot politicians

Amen to that, Dmerc

As to TriCounty......These little trucks are way down on the "Things to do first" list. Lets build about 50 nuclear power plants so that our kw cost is 10% of what it is today. Let's drill the crap out of the the oil deposits off shore. Lets open up the huge fields of Natural Gas in Alaska and some of our Northern States. Our little trucks are terrific and we all know that. But they really solve nothing. I think we all must understand that the long term answer is Hydrogen, which may be operational within 25 years. But for now, lets all have fun, spend less on gas, and enjoy the fabulous "high" one gets while driving a Mini.

Chuck in Indy

25. myazel

myazel Member

Okay guys I had a nice long talk with a freind who happens to be amember of the Indiana House Of Reps. tonight at a reception. He told me they are working on a bill to make them legal very similar to what Oklahoma just did. Would keep them off of the Federal highways and fourlanes but would be good everywhere else with insurance just like your car. I told him I would get him the number of the Oklahoma bill and he said he was pretty sure this would come up in the next session and would pass so everyone sit tight and lets see what we can do here.

26. dmerc

dmerc Member

I finally took a trip into my small town in my Carry (smv sign). You woulda' thought I was piloting a UFO, the way folks stopped and stared.:rolleyes:

:D

I wanna' see what happens the first time I'm spotted by the Law, but, I didn't see any cops!! I reckon that's a good thing, I'd like to drive it some before my first ticket!!:D

27. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Indiana Bill

I am hoping that is the bill that I was asked to write. It contains all the elements of the OK bill with some additional verbage lifted from some of the other already passed legislation of other states. We also included the mechanics of implementation by the State. What I have noticed is that after passage in most of the states, there is confusion at the DMV. We hope to avoid this at all costs. We are recommending a special tag that will screw to the license (Similiar to the Motorcycle Tag used in Illinois). Keep in mind that Interstates and State Hyways are specifically not included. The Senators I am working with seem to be very comfortable with the 45 MPH rule

On another note, our town Police Dept had a Pancake Breakfast Saturday, and naturally I showed up with a Mini (I run a Dealer plate). Most of the Officers spent the better part of 2 hours driving it around the neighborhoods. What they really enjoyed is that the Gas Gauge needle did not move. Keep in mind that most town's Budgets are out of whack due to fuel costs. Monday I am delivering a truck to the Dept for their use and evaluation for several weeks. I would love for them to put at least one into service.

To me, this is what has to happen. Remember......small steps first.

Chuck near Indy (Just outside of Indy)

28. rholcomb

rholcomb New Member

cmaranot, any new developments with the Indiana Bill? I am curious as I have purchased a mini and am awaiting its delivery. I do have the form from the state to license it as an ATV. Any suggestions on that?

29. stevert

stevert Member

30. jgarrett

jgarrett Member

Any progress in ky