1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a 91 Carry water tight

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by a260070, Oct 5, 2017.

1. a260070

a260070 New Member

I basically added a snorkel through the bed and attached it to the plastic inlet underneath (the flapper/diverter that connects to the exhaust for cold starts)

Unfortunately, water is getting in somewhere, as I stalled out when going through some deep water. The air filter in the can was wet, but not dripping wet. I did a bunch of searches and have a few questions:

1.) Would getting rid of the flapper/diverter exhaust bypass thing would make it more water tight? If so, what do I do to plug the hole coming off the exhaust?

1.a) Can one hook a snorklt directly to the carb... if so, what does one do with all the vacuum hoses.?

2.) After installing the snorkel, I placed my hand over the end to see if the engine would stall out..... it most certainly did not. Even when the hole was completely covered the engine seemed to have no effect. Is this because it is pulling air through the exhaust system bypass thing? Or is the leak that big?

3.) I noticed that when I removed the air filter to check for water, the wing nut was not very tight. I also noticed there is no gasket or rubber on the air can lid. Is this is a common water entry point?

4.) Lastly, I saw a post where they recommend that you seal distributor, crankcase vents, and vents for the diffs, tranny, and transfer case.... however i was not able to find any help on how to seal them.

Thank you

2. littlesuzie

littlesuzie Member

3. mr.mindless

mr.mindless Member

If you plan to submerge the motor, anything that breathes needs to be plumbed to that snorkel, and all electrical things (incl distrib) must be sealed.

If you can't stall the engine by covering your intake you're doing it wrong. Pretty common sense...

Yes, you should attach your snorkel directly to the carb, or to a completely otherwise-sealed air box. Run all vents to that snorkel, or cap the lines with balloons.

You don't need to do anything to cap the exhaust, that's just an entry point for hot air to improve warm-up time. Bypass/remove all of that.

4. a260070

a260070 New Member

Thank you! This is my first 4x4 so I am still learning! I spent an hour or two getting more familiar with the vehicle, including the engine and under side.

I just posted another thread in the Carry section. Hopefully you can help there too!

Thanks