1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Mazie Build

Discussion in 'Performance' started by firejonny89, Aug 7, 2012.

1. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Ha, ha...because of the bearing hole. You can't make a "trench" in a hole. (empty space)
    I don't know what program you're using, but I remember how I did that now...
    Put a "cross wall", across the "trench" just before the bearing hole. (LIKE A HORSE SHOE) I made it about 1thou thick. Then when you go to generate the 3D pic...it's so thin, it becomes invisable in the generated pic...

Hope that makes sense....friggen program just about drove me crazy...

2. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

im using emachine and i tried that once but ill retry i might have messed it up the first time

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Impressive, I'll try to find some old files, maybe I have some.

4. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

i think i got it just trying to change its color so it can be seen better

5. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

this is what it should look like
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Ha, ha, ha..faster than me man... I had to upload 1.76, and then convert the old files...ready to post..

But I won't bother cu'z that's just what I had for you, Nice work man.

Again, too bad nobody else wanted to do this, you're doing just fine, and I won't go through it all again...

7. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

yea i dont blame you im trying to ask as much as i can to get all the info in one or two spots between urs and mine so they should not need to ask much once its done but idk if that will happen

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I don't think so. We're pretty much talking in code now. Cu'z they don't have the physical stuff, or the mental picture of the components. It's just you and me now...like this...

BTW, although you've obviously figured it out; that was .bmp to jpeg...and 1.76 .ems...
    AND, my "sketches" were generated with this exacting format, and then, numbers and notes were added with the "paint" program to finish with a compete "sketch"; this was what was forwarded to the shop, with tolerances for a complete job description. Then the parts were cut, one at a time.

Hunting season coming on, give me a day or two if you get stuck...

:pop:

9. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

pssssh a day or two you think you can stay off here that long?? :pop: if so your doing better than me im lucky to make it most of a day with out checking in

10. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yea, on and off, depends, right...
    More of my thoughts on the plates.
    Consider M8 & M6 "through" holes VS "tapping" holes. I believe M8 is 8.60mm VS 6.80mm for 1.25.
    Pretty sure all M8's I used for everything, including tapping, were 1.25.
    M6 through, I believe are 6.40mm. All this can be checked though to make sure. Lot's o tables out there for SS 316 or 304.
    Thought about the carb plate and there really is no reason you could not use the OEM bolts and have one plate with 2 M8's @ 6.80mm and the other plate with 2 M8's @ 8.60mm. Then tap the one for the carb and counter sink just the one plate for the manifold.
    The OEM bolts would have to be cut, but that's only after your seals are made up and it would be the last operation. You get 1/4" thread engagement x2 to hold a very light carb. I don't see why not.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-metric.htm

Bird season opens tomorrow.

11. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Small up date been busy help a buddy with his wedding. But a good note the mount plate is almost done. I'll post a picture tomorrow when I resize it only bad thig is the guy making it is on vacation this week so it will be finished next week along with the shaft resizing if he can do that and the tubular piece out of aluminum that's all he had that size should work just fine for what it's doing. Oh he is also sizing the shaft coupler beings I got one that needed milled to the right size he is going to do that once he gets back to work also. Just waiting on the parts to be finished so I can start doing something again I am getting bored with little to do until I get some parts back I can't make anything else till those get back to get the sizes right. Oh hey spaner I think he told me the mount plate for the s/c was gonna run me 150 ish if I remember right it's great have friends that work at a mill shop. I'll have to make sure a case of cold ones show up at is door for it thou small price if u ask me. That's all for now once I get something back ill post so more.

12. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

13. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Pretty awsome:cool:

14. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

I know right looks pretty dang good to me. How's ur bird hunting going for ya there spaner. And would u happen to know anywhere I could find a locking rear end whole unit? I've tried g&r a few times but no luck yet.

15. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

To me this was the best part; making stuff, and figuring stuff out too, is really fun. Like an M6 through @ 6.4mm, 1/4" bit...6.35..stuff like that. Yea, the truck is boosted, but the building is super fun.

I have seen a few times off ebay, companies in both the middle east and pacific rim that buy all of Japan's wrecks and such. Pictures of huge yards of engines and drive components of all makes and models. You'd have to search but I know that there are a few at least that would have just about anything.

16. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Sweet of to search the never end net for it.

17. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Picture update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He even went as far as to order me new bolts. He still has it and won't get to the shaft and the shaft coupler till next week but hey I can't say anything it's way less than I had planed for so he can take his time.

18. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Orgasmic...I just love the way ideas come together to become parts, and then the parts come together to become components. I could look at that all day, almost seamless...
    :pop:

I'm interested to know what your buddy has said about you're build. He must have used the word cool a few times. BTW, my guy used his "thread cutter" to mill the shaft. Don't know if that helps you any but I do remember him saying that the shaft was hard as shite and that, that was what he used to mill it to spec. I don't even know what it is but it came out perfect.
    Also, he did cut the base of the shaft off first with a chop saw. A machine shop grade unit I'm sure, but he said that it was cut to within 1mm of spec, and then the base was milled down without much trouble. The coupler base was a little harder but not too bad. It was only the bearing mount that was super hard and needed to be done with the "thread cutter".

19. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Sweet all pass that along and was was just kinda like ur gonna what to a what lol

20. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Only on Friday nights:p