1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Louisiana legal HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by scottE, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregw98

gregw98 Member

Maybe things will get easier now. "MINI TRUCKS LEGAL IN LOUISIANA". Heard it on the radio this morning.

2. Doug Waggonner

Doug Waggonner New Member

Another thing you may want to bring to her attn: is what about antique cars? Model T's and the like.....they dont have 14 digit VIN#'s either. And something apparently was done years ago to tag and regester them. Since there was no such thing as license plates or registrations back in those days.
    Also, how is this different than mopeds and scooters??? They arent allowed on interstates or turnpikes either.

On a side note I regestered a Hudson car just a few years ago that never had a vin# either. All the Hudsons ever had were Ser#'s and mine was only 5 digits! :eek: The lady at the tag office said that should be good enough and I drove away with a regristration and a new license plate. It all cost less that $40.

Although it may be easier here in Oklahoma than other states becuse the tag offices are privatly owned franchizes...and nobody that owns them or works in them are state employees.

3. scottE

scottE Member

Well good news guys it is legal. I went to the DMV today before work and all the paper work was in for them to go ahead with it. They said all you need is the paper work from the dealer you bought it throw, a bill of sale, and that's it. They gave me a web site: www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import......I haven't been to it yet but I will soon. I was not able to get a plate today because I bought mine throw a private owner and don't have all that info. I am trying to get it any ideas?

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Moderator

if the previous owner doesn't have the infor, or if you lost touch with the previous owner, i would suggest you inquire about doing a bonded title. i'm sure there will be a process in place soon enough for lost paperwork, but with it being a new law and a new process i doubt they have even conidered a contingency.

5. BigO-L3

BigO-L3 Member

That was what I was wondering, if you do not have that paperwork. Besides, what paperwork do you get from a dealer, other than a bill of sale?

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Moderator

dealers should furnish you with the export certificate, the english translation of the certificate, a bill of sale and an invoice.

7. gregw98

gregw98 Member

In MS, you hve to take the vehicle down to the DMV and they inspect it an issue a VIN for it. Larry can probably be more clear on this.
    greg

8. Radar

Radar Member

so we need more than a bill of sale? why did they refer you to a website?

9. scottE

scottE Member

first, about the customs paperwork. All they need is something saying that is was imported legal into the us. I have called up some dealers and they will give you the Bill Of Ladin. I found the dealer yestarday but I haven't called them yet. I called the Customs office to see if they could back track it and they said "no" they said it would be really hard to back track something that was brought into the states over a year ago, they let the new owners keep the paper work. I was thinking of 2 ways with my plan "B" first is to put in for a lost title with the zeros on the vin and see what happens, or contact a dealer that will trade me my truck for one that dose have a B.O.L. of equal or lesser value.
    second, is that Louisiana DMV will not reconize a bonded title, that was my first approch. I was a good idea I think you gave to me on another thread Mighy, but no luck in this state.
    third, they gave me the web site because of a warning that the trucks have to meet the standards. If you go down to the DMV the person will most lackly pull out a copy of the memo they got at the meeting ask them for a copy of that and it will be on there.
    I have seen alot of paperwork that states the diffention of a mini truck, and with most of them it says something to the effect of a flat bed attached to them. now I am not sure but I think you guys that have the vans may have it easier as far as insurance, and regestraion. let us know if you do.
    Oh and by the way Progressive: $285.00 for 6 mouths with one ticket on my record.

well good luck gentemen I was hoping I would be the first to get a plate in LA but this crap my hold me back a few days.
    scott

10. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

South Dakota also requires that you have the import paperwork, however, I asked the lady at the state office what happens if you don't have that paperwork. Like if the original owner threw it away or something. She stated all I had to do was type up something saying that you no longer have the import paperwork due to the fact that you were not previously required to title it.

Might not hurt to call your state office to see if they are the same.

11. scottE

scottE Member

some up setting news. on the import paperwork they say for off road use only. From what I understand so far is that if it is tagged that way you can't get it legal for the road in LA. There was a sentence in the wordage I over looked. "If files are submitted on used mini trucks and only a bill of sale is presented, please request that the person obtain paperwork that indicates that the vehicle was either manufactured in this contry or was imported for use on highways.". It would seem that the DMV throw us a sucker punch. I am wondering if you can bring the trucks into applance with the EPA, DEQ, and DOT. If I could do that than it would be good to go, I am thinking.
    Maybe once I get the BOL it wont have have that or the lady at the desk wont notice it.

12. Doug Waggonner

If this does turn into a "Mission Impossable" type of thing to do in the state of La, couldnt you just get a PO box in the state of Oklahoma and tag it with an Okla tag?? This isnt illegal, trucking compaines from different states have been doing this for years, for tax reasons, so why cant you do this for the mini trucks? Apparently the state of Oklahoma doesnt mind the extra money.

13. scottE

scottE Member

would you need a OK drivers licence? what about tags/inspections, I don't want to go up to OK every year. I don't know if that would work but it is looking into, I would probbly do it in Mississippi though.

14. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member

Scott the Bill of Lading has it printed clearly in the center of the document...sorry.

Lots of luck,

15. barneyrb

barneyrb Member

OK, I live in Louisiana and am no legal eagle or anywhere close but, I once had a problem with the DMV on a car title and finally solved it by seeing a Justice of Peace. It cost $75 but EVER HOW THEY RULE is accepted by the State without question. May be another angle to approach. FWIW

16. Doug Waggonner

I don't think you have to have an Okla drivers license to buy an Okla tag, but I'll call a tag office tomorrow and find out for sure. I do know what you have to have some sort of an address, so a PO box will work. that I do know for sure.
    We dont have inspections here in OK, we used to untill the former govoners wife got a ticket for having an expired inspection sticker on her windshield. :D True Story!

17. BigO-L3

BigO-L3 Member

OK, will not care, but La. definitely will:D

If you live in La., it will have to be registered in La. You may get by with it for a little while. but you WILL finally get caught. The ONLY option will be to register it in La., IF you intend to drive on the hwy.

18. scottE

scottE Member

I will be getting the customs paperwork today so I will see what it has on it. if it has the not for road use on it the only thing I can do is take it to the DOT and EPA/DEQ and have them inspect it so they can slap a cert. sticker on it.

19. scottE

scottE Member

20. BigO-L3

BigO-L3 Member

Just curious, where are you getting the info that DOT, EPA, DEQ, can do ANYTHING to counter the 'not for road use' designation.

It is my understanding that since the rules on importation stipulated 'off road only', nothing could change that...........although some states are ignoring it and registering them:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.