1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost the spark

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DEMoo, Dec 26, 2017.

1. DEMoo

DEMoo New Member

Hello everyone. New to group. New hijet owner. I have an '86 daihatsu hijet jumbo. I'll try to get some pics later. I have a problem I haven't been able to chase down. I was riding around the pasture checking cows a couple weeks ago and it just died. No noise, bangs or clanks. Not anything. Upon further inspection, I found out the timing belt had snapped. Got new belt installed, checked numerous times for timing to be correct and now there is no spark at all. New coil, plugs, wires, cap and finally distributor. Still no spark. I've looked everywhere for answers and found your sight. Please help!!! I love the little truck! It's much more handy than a side by side. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. Do you have an igniter, or points?

3. DEMoo

DEMoo New Member

No points or condensor. 2 plastic pieces inside distributor, so I'm assuming igniter

4. Ok, if you take the high tension lead from the distributor, and hold it half an inch or so away from something metal on the engine, and crank it do you get a spark? If not you need to make sure you have current to the coil, and igniter.

5. DEMoo

DEMoo New Member

Ok. I will try that on my next day off. Thanks Jigs!!

6. DEMoo

DEMoo New Member

Tried lead from distributor. 12 volt power to coil and new distributor. Does a 1986 hijet jumbo s83p have an ecu??? Scratching my head now.... any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

7. I’m not certain, but I would expect it to. I know Toyota had what they called an “igniter” from the early seventies, and went pointless in the late seventies.